Under the radar bats

jhitman

Several bats so far in 2024 are 250-265 in wrapper. This thread might become even more important going forward.

I've seen a lot of demos on the new bats. Most are starting out between 250-275. Once they get about 100 hits several are failing compression. If that's the case, which it seems to be, why did they change from the 220 standard to 240? They don't test here in out local leagues, but my biggest concern on getting one of these hot out of the wrapper bats is durability. And I am one who likes to hit a lot of BP.

Last edited:

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
In Masters ball, the Anarchy "50 Cal" is completely overlooked. The more I swing it, the more impressed and surprised I am by it.

jhitman

I've seen at least 3 separate reviews on specific bats. They put 100 swings on them and they are already failing compression. Not too long ago it took at least 100 swings just to get the bat going. They go to this new 240 standard and then the bat manufacturers make bats that fail that mark within 100 swings. If you play tournaments where they test it doesn't make sense to buy one of these bats. I saw one bat test at 200 psi after 75-100 swings. That's the equivalent of buying a new senior bat. Of course this is not all of the new bats, but way too many IMO. Buyer beware.......

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've seen at least 3 separate reviews on specific bats. They put 100 swings on them and they are already failing compression. Not too long ago it took at least 100 swings just to get the bat going. They go to this new 240 standard and then the bat manufacturers make bats that fail that mark within 100 swings. If you play tournaments where they test it doesn't make sense to buy one of these bats. I saw one bat test at 200 psi after 75-100 swings. That's the equivalent of buying a new senior bat. Of course this is not all of the new bats, but way too many IMO. Buyer beware.......

240 bats are f'ing junk, plain and simple. There are a few durable exceptions, but most of them are garbage.

jhitman

240 bats are f'ing junk, plain and simple. There are a few durable exceptions, but most of them are garbage.

I agree 100%. I take a lot of BP and play a good amount of games. I don't want a bat that may or may not even get me through the season. Back 10 years ago I had bats that lasted 3-4 years with several thousand hits on them in every kind of weather conditions. I saw one bat demoed recently that started at 290 psi and after 100 hits was 210 psi......ridiculous. Also, there is one company that their bats are no warranty (not senior bats but regular USSSA bats). You hit it in BP, it breaks and you are SOL $200.00+.

blakcherry329

I agree 100%. I take a lot of BP and play a good amount of games. I don't want a bat that may or may not even get me through the season. Back 10 years ago I had bats that lasted 3-4 years with several thousand hits on them in every kind of weather conditions. I saw one bat demoed recently that started at 290 psi and after 100 hits was 210 psi......ridiculous. Also, there is one company that their bats are no warranty (not senior bats but regular USSSA bats). You hit it in BP, it breaks and you are SOL $200.00+.
Those days are long gone. Remember the Yellow and/or Green Catalysts? It took about 500 swings just to break it in. lol It was part of the process. There were also a lot more logs, turds, lead pipes, etc. bats that came out too. So you took the bad with the good. But you also didn't have to buy a bat every year if you didn't want to. Bat performance is more consistent but durability is not, nowadays

jhitman

Those days are long gone. Remember the Yellow and/or Green Catalysts? It took about 500 swings just to break it in. lol It was part of the process. There were also a lot more logs, turds, lead pipes, etc. bats that came out too. So you took the bad with the good. But you also didn't have to buy a bat every year if you didn't want to. Bat performance is more consistent but durability is not, nowadays
Also, the Freak98. That took forever to open up and lasted forever. I agree those days are long gone, but you shouldn't have bats with the 240 psi standard that fails after one or two BP sessions. It makes the bat hot, but it's now prone to breaking way too early. I did see some demos on some of the new bats that started at 280-300 psi and after 100+ hits still held compression pretty well. That's the bats I will lean towards buying.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Also, the Freak98. That took forever to open up and lasted forever. I agree those days are long gone, but you shouldn't have bats with the 240 psi standard that fails after one or two BP sessions. It makes the bat hot, but it's now prone to breaking way too early. I did see some demos on some of the new bats that started at 280-300 psi and after 100+ hits still held compression pretty well. That's the bats I will lean towards buying.
At least the f98 is still legal to use in ASA/USA play. Main reason I didn't/don't play UTRIP, although there are very few options to play utrip around here within decent driving distance, I wouldn't play anyway cuz of their bs bat rules/regulations changes every so often

jhitman

At least the f98 is still legal to use in ASA/USA play. Main reason I didn't/don't play UTRIP, although there are very few options to play utrip around here within decent driving distance

We play mostly ASA/USA here as well, but are allowed to use USSSA bats in our leagues. I find that the USSSA bats hit the 52's just as well as the ASA/USA bats. We have a few senior leagues here that use the 44 cor 375 comp softball and use my USSSA bats for those.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
We play mostly ASA/USA here as well, but are allowed to use USSSA bats in our leagues. I find that the USSSA bats hit the 52's just as well as the ASA/USA bats. We have a few senior leagues here that use the 44 cor 375 comp softball and use my USSSA bats for those.
Our leagues also allow us to use UTRIP bats. They have their thoughts/regulations as to what utrip bats can be used but honestly anyone can probably use one that doesn't fall within those rules and umps wouldn't know any better. Lol!

jhitman

Our leagues also allow us to use UTRIP bats. They have their thoughts/regulations as to what utrip bats can be used but honestly anyone can probably use one that doesn't fall within those rules and umps wouldn't know any better. Lol!

I agree that the umps don't know or even check our bats here in MD. If someone tries to sneak in a senior bat here it's usually called out by the opposing team. No offense to the umpires, but they don't have a clue. For most here they get very little training and it's just a part-time gig to make extra money for them.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree that the umps don't know or even check our bats here in MD. If someone tries to sneak in a senior bat here it's usually called out by the opposing team. No offense to the umpires, but they don't have a clue. For most here they get very little training and it's just a part-time gig to make extra money for them.
In fairness, it'd be a full time job to keep up on the bats with the market so flooded, and now even bats look similar, meaning same make and model but one is USA and the other is USSSA but look way too similar.

jhitman

In fairness, it'd be a full time job to keep up on the bats with the market so flooded, and now even bats look similar, meaning same make and model but one is USA and the other is USSSA but look way too similar.

I agree. We did have a few umpires, that retired from umping, that used to ask to see everyone's bats before the game started. Now we are lucky if we can get an umpire to even show up on time. I think they get about $30 an hour here. Since we play all DH's $60.00 for 2 hours of work. We even have some that do the late games at the same field for $120.00 for the night.....not a bad part-time gig.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree. We did have a few umpires, that retired from umping, that used to ask to see everyone's bats before the game started. Now we are lucky if we can get an umpire to even show up on time. I think they get about $30 an hour here. Since we play all DH's $60.00 for 2 hours of work. We even have some that do the late games at the same field for $120.00 for the night.....not a bad part-time gig.
TBH I wouldn't do it for $30 unless I lived within 10 minutes. I get $60/game for Sunday morning league DH, but they rarely are an hour or less and I commute 25-40 minutes each way. League has weird bat rules, but basically has to have a sticker saying it was tested. Tourneys I get $40/game and only do USA/ASA.

DirtBag215

Forreal! I use to be able to see a utrip bat from a mile away in an ASA league. Now I don’t even try because there’s so many bats being released and the same model bat definitely looks similar from Asa to usssa

jhitman

TBH I wouldn't do it for $30 unless I lived within 10 minutes. I get $60/game for Sunday morning league DH, but they rarely are an hour or less and I commute 25-40 minutes each way. League has weird bat rules, but basically has to have a sticker saying it was tested. Tourneys I get $40/game and only do USA/ASA.

I could be wrong on the price per game, but it was $30 two years ago. It could have gone up slightly, but I'm sure it's not more than $35. In our leagues it doesn't make much difference as we can use ASA/USA bats or USSSA bats. The only thing they would have to look for if someone tries to sneak in a senior bat which has happened before. When it happened, people knew it right away. The bat was tossed out once someone notified the umpire. The player should have been kicked out too, but he claimed he didn't know. I know the guy.....he knew exactly what he was doing. He's a good player too, but always feels the need to cheat.