USSSA bats in ASA

guzzler2209

The Veteran
Gamble,

You challenged me and i had the goods. Now, i challenge you to show where I said that people should be allowed to use illegal sticks without being called out for doing so. I simply said that you, as a second baseman, should STFU and let your catcher deal with the issue if he sees a bat that looks painted or is illegal. You insist that you should be the guy standing at second base raising a stink about any bat that YOU MAY OR MAY NOT THINK is illegal.

guzzler2209

The Veteran
why shouldn't the 2B say something if he sees it?

Say something to his catcher if he's suspicious, sure. Let the catcher get a better look at the bat. The catcher (or better yet the coach) can then point it out to blue if they think it's illegal. Chirping "all day long" from second base about the opponent's bats???? NGTG in my book.

This is more about his whining and bitchy attitude and saying he'd try to gain an advantage regardless if he knows the bat is legit.

Last edited:

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
You didn't say you have, you just said you would.....

Gamble says: "I'm not saying I doubt its eligibility. I'm looking at it from the standpoint of an opponent -- I'll call things out all day if I think I have a possibility of getting someone's favorite stick tossed and throw their game off."

By the way, deleting that post doesn't do much good when it was quoted by everyone pointing out how much of a ***** you are.

Why would I delete it? You didn't prove anything.

Again, quote where I said I've ever called out a 100% legal stick. That's past tense. You quoted a future tense, the semantics of which I won't get into, save for telling you that you're an idiot. I've never once called out a 100% legal stick, and in fact the only bat I've called out this year was, as we've covered half a dozen times, a Miken Psycho in an ASA league -- something clearly visible from second base, or just about any ****ing position on the field.

Bring something to the field that looks suspicious, I'm gonna ask to have it checked at least for stamps, and probably verified on the ASA approved list. Know how to avoid that? Don't bring stupid **** to the field and tell everyone it's "custom". Those Freak 98 conversions are custom, too. :rolleyes:

Yep, I know these "custom" bats are supposed to be legit, but they're not on the ASA approved list (or weren't at the time, at least; won't be bothered to check current listings), so calling it out and having it tossed is perfectly within my rights and the rules -- stamp or not, if it's not on the approved list, it's not approved. Show up with some stupid "Japanese market" bat, and I'm gonna ask to have it checked.

guzzler2209

The Veteran
Gamble,

Simple question: Would you ever "call out" a batter for using a bat, even though you believed the bat to be legal, if you thought there was a chance that the umpire would toss the bat so you would gain a competitive advantage?

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes. I'd ask to have Wickeds, ESTs, and PSTs checked, and probably any Recoil that looks to have a couple thousand swings on it, knowing full well there are legal models or that it was legal before wearing the stamp away. I'm always suspicious of Freak 98s, but haven't called one out, and only know of two actual conversions in the area -- which I will call out if used in a game I'm playing in.

It's your responsibility to make sure your equipment is GTG. If I "call out" something in your dugout and it gets tossed, you didn't cover your bases (no pun) well enough. I expect the same in return. Feel free to ask to have my Recoils checked; I wouldn't say you're being unreasonable.

*Edit*

FTR, any of the above are easily spotted from any position on the infield.

Last edited:

ntx_2

Banned User
yeah ive seen alot of people calling out the freak 98's, ive seen the white and blue reebok bat called out as well.

guzzler2209

The Veteran
So in your opinion, a bat on the approved list that has a stamp worn away should be thrown out?

Please explain your reasoning for this.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
So in your opinion, a bat on the approved list that has a stamp worn away should be thrown out?

Please explain your reasoning for this.

Not my opinion -- it's in the rule book.

The bat has to have either the ASA 2000 or ASA 2004 stamp, or in the judgment of the umpire been manufactured prior to 2000 and capable of passing the current testing.

No stamp, no legal bat. Whether it was there at one time is irrelevant if it's currently gone.

Gator275

Addicted to Softballfans
Just play the game, Ive never seen being a bit*h amount to anything. Just hit the ball, field the ball not a hard concept.