USSSA is now checking bats that fail compression ?

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter
I saw this video this morning from the USSSA hall of fame dual tourney this past weekend. I also heard now that players caught with altered bats are now getting penalized. Anyone have any more input on this?

[ame]http://youtu.be/Ub1Pi-Kplcg[/ame]

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Maybe this is that dude in Texas stealing, er, confiscating suspect bats? That one bat looked a little thinner than the rest, but all the owners probably looked really ****ing pissed.

slomaro

Addicted to Softballfans
Lol how can they take your bat and saw it in half ?wouldnt they have to reimburse you somehow ?

stork

Can you hear that ringing? It is the death knell of utrip. Wonder who will take their place. If this becomes the norm and you don't revolt, you are a stooge.

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter
From what I heard, all the players sign a waiver and agree to testing. I believe if the bat fails compression and USSSA cuts it open to check, I'm sure they contact the manufacturer and they get sent back a no return bat since that is what they would get either way that is if the bat is clean and not modified. If the bat is cut/altered then they get a suspension for 4 tournies for the first offense and the warranty is obviously is voided.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
While this is a great step to cleaning up the game.... I find it complete bull**** that a conference guy only gets suspended 4 tourneys, while a C, D or E player would get 2-5 years.

lmno1751

Star Player
I think it's a good thing. There is enough cheating already with these ped addicts. But if the bat isn't altered after cutting they should reimburse you and give you something for wasting your time.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
You all sign a waiver allowing this to be done every time you enter a USSSA sanctioned league or tournament. And Conference is a completely different animal that regular tournaments.

AmishFusion

Addicted to Softballfans
I have heard from the local upper guys around here that they only cut open the ones that fail miserably.

stork

Just heard that umps now have the "authority" to pull a bat with excessive wear. Just up to their discretion.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
Players sign waivers saying if their bat fails they get to cut it open. If the bat is clean? Usssa reimburses them for the bat or gets them a new one. In the Hall of Fame Classic, bats failed and there were dirty ones found. No system is perfect, but atleast its an attemt to clean up the game.

Masher816

Addicted to Softballfans
Players sign waivers saying if their bat fails they get to cut it open. If the bat is clean? Usssa reimburses them for the bat or gets them a new one. In the Hall of Fame Classic, bats failed and there were dirty ones found. No system is perfect, but atleast its an attemt to clean up the game.

I went from very angry, to that making sense. If a bat fails compression test, but isnt altered, they give them a new version of the same bat? If so, that's not a bad deal, I'd agree to that.

That said, who in the world is dumb enough to sign a waver saying that, knowing there will likely be a compression test done, and still bring an altered bat and attempt to use it?

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter
I went from very angry, to that making sense. If a bat fails compression test, but isnt altered, they give them a new version of the same bat? If so, that's not a bad deal, I'd agree to that.

That said, who in the world is dumb enough to sign a waver saying that, knowing there will likely be a compression test done, and still bring an altered bat and attempt to use it?

Some players this past week at the hall of fame classic tourney from the video I posted. I believe they found altered bats. No info has been made public yet.

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!
Just heard that umps now have the "authority" to pull a bat with excessive wear. Just up to their discretion.

This has been the rule for a couple years now but most umpires don't check bats.

I have heard from the local upper guys around here that they only cut open the ones that fail miserably.

There was a certain number it had to test at to be cut open...not sure what that number was.

Plenty of people who think their bat will either never be tested or their doctor did a good enough job not to be caught....we call these guys idiots.

It is a new rule implemented by the conference this year. The first time was this past weekend in Florida. There were a ton of bats that failed but they only selected a % of them to cut.

I have heard different stories from bats that tested at 190 and below were being cut. Also have heard it is somewhat random. A list of people who had their bats cut and were found to be dirty is supposedly being released sometime this week but I am guessing USSSA is in no hurry to get that list out.

Every player in the conference signed up for this and it was talked about with the USSSA legal team since after worlds last year. If your bat is cut and it is clean, then they are reimbursing or replacing your bat. If your bat is dirty, i believe the first penalty is 4 months or 4 tournaments. Second time you are caught is I believe a year suspension. Again this is for conference events only.

Masher816

Addicted to Softballfans
This has been the rule for a couple years now but most umpires don't check bats.

There was a certain number it had to test at to be cut open...not sure what that number was.

Plenty of people who think their bat will either never be tested or their doctor did a good enough job not to be caught....we call these guys idiots.

Agreed on that. There are so many good bats out there, never understood the guys who shave them and use in tourney play now that they are testing them. Not worth the risk, IMO...and if you cant get a hit without using an altered bat, time to hang up your turf shoes.

stork

Last USSSA tourny down here the UIC was doing this. People were not happy. Bats that had even a little endcap wear were being tossed.

Freaking stupid. As long as the bat passes compression who gives a crap how much endcap wear it has?

Yeah, he was at that same tourney. By the time my Eastons get going, they have a bit of wear. The way I swing at least. Not even interested in doing of that ****. **** em.

Only one player was caught out of the eight bats cut open. He turned in a new looking Easton that failed compression. Come on that's a no brainer since eastons test high out of the wrapper. Primetime will be without TMack for four tournaments.

stork

So, like one month. Mere league guys get a couple years. Seems fair.

thebestpr21

Addicted to Softballfans
4 Conference Tournaments that Primetime play in.

So depending on how their schedule is set up, it could 2-3 months, or potentially 4-5 months.

Still not enough though IMO

Agree on all points. It will be more than a month for sure. Potentially a lot more. But not enough. Should be at least a year for 1st offense then like 5 for 2nd.

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
From what I read, the bats that failed were put to the side and 8 were picked to be cut open. Supposedly 2 from each manufacturer. These were all bats that were below 200 when tested.

I watched two of Primetimes games this weekend and didn't see any 2016 Eastons being swung from them.

Also, as of 4/21, there was only one person suspended. Supposedly there will be more.

itheshow

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw a letter on fb softball page where they did hand out a ban (Letter had a conf player name on it) , but I cannot find it for the life of me.

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw a letter on fb softball page where they did hand out a ban (Letter had a conf player name on it) , but I cannot find it for the life of me.

Tony Mack from Primetime. Also played for Albicocco/The Scene and Combat at one time.

Also, for USSSA events, NITs at least, if you nail a pitcher your bat is taken and tested on the spot. Failed bat = ejection and bat is sent off to manufacturer. Almost learned this the hard way in Vegas last weekend.