Other USSSA vs ASA

PCMAY

Starting Player
I was at the cages the other night and began talking with another guy as we took turns swinging. He said he was practicing because he had just been invited to play on a team in our area. I could sense he was somewhat a newby to slow pitch softball, so I asked him if they played USSSA or ASA. He had no idea what I was talking about, so I told him they were essentially two different governing bodies for softball with similar but different rules. He asked me the differences, which stumped me a little.

I told him he had to use bats approved for the specific league (USSSA or ASA) and that the pitching arc and methods varied. But beyond that, I couldn't think of any other "major" differences. I know there are subtle nuances in the rules, but are there any other "major" differences?

sjury

The Old Man
ASA you hit a 12" softball pitched with an arc. USSSA you hit a 12" softball with an arc.

ureout

The Veteran
ASA you hit a 12" softball pitched with an arc. USSSA you hit a 12" softball with an arc.

lol...sjury....there is just a little bit of differnece in the arc...6' to 12' ASA compared to 3' to 10' USSSA plus all the different delivery methods used in U-trip

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
ASA: 6-10' pitches, pitcher must pause for 1 second, pitcher must pitch from the pitcher's plate
USSSA: "What pitching rules? I skipped that section."

ASA: Runners can tag up and advance on any caught fly ball
USSSA: Ball is dead if it's caught in foul territory with no good fouls or strikes left.

ASA: On overthrows, 2 bases from time of throw, always, always, always.
USSSA: Two bases from time of PITCH on the first play from an infielder, two bases from time of throw in all other cases.

ASA: Fielders are protected from obstruction if they either A) have possession of the ball or B) are in the act of fielding a batted ball.
USSSA: Same as ASA, but they also include C) are in the act of receiving a thrown ball (ball must already be in the air)

ASA: When a runner's obstructed, they're awarded the bases they would have reached had there been no obstruction.
USSSA: Same as ASA, but they're awarded at least one base beyond where they were when the obstruction occurred.

ASA: Bat must have an ASA 2000 or 2004 stamp, and must not be on a non-approved bat list. If the bat was made prior to 2000, the umpire may allow it if they believe that it complies with the current specs.
USSSA: Bat must have the 2013 stamp, period.

Those are the highlights, and I know there are plenty of other tiny differences.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA Championship play has base stealing.

ASA have to have both feet ENTIRELY in the batter's box before the pitch.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Same with USSSA. Whether that's enforced or not in USSSA is another matter (see pitching rules).
I didn't think that the ENTIRE foot had to be IN the box in UTrip before the pitch. Definitely never seen it called......

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA: On overthrows, 2 bases from time of throw, always, always, always.
USSSA: Two bases from time of PITCH on the first play from an infielder, two bases from time of throw in all other cases.

In USSSA the direction the runner is going also matters does it not? In ASA it's 2 bases from the last base occupied regardless of direction.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
In USSSA the direction the runner is going also matters does it not? In ASA it's 2 bases from the last base occupied regardless of direction.

I don't think it's the direction so much as the "tag up" is counted as an awarded base in USSSA on "left too soon" situations.