Usssa worlds

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I found 56 hard cores at Viera. They didn't use them for C worlds, so they were left over from A and B worlds prior.
I was told the HardCores were used at B and above because they played without the temp fences on White and set at 325 on Red and in the Stadium. I was also told that there were a number of cars that lost windows because of them. I saw some cars get hit but didn't see anything with a smashed out window, even with the fastpitch parents parking everywhere including the sidewalks on Saturday.
I hope Pilla didn't see you with those....you'll be sure to receive one hell of a lecture. @bigwignj
Pilla isn't who you have to worry about. Andy Purcell is the one you would have had to worry about, he was very on top of the ball situation all year. Heard ball costs were down over $10,000 for the Conference this year.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I hope Pilla didn't see you with those....you'll be sure to receive one hell of a lecture. @bigwignj

They don't care. All the balls were in the lakes or weeds. They only care about balls that are dry. Long as you aren't actively taking balls during games USSSA doesn't pay any attention to what's going on.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I was told the HardCores were used at B and above because they played without the temp fences on White and set at 325 on Red and in the Stadium. I was also told that there were a number of cars that lost windows because of them. I saw some cars get hit but didn't see anything with a smashed out window, even with the fastpitch parents parking everywhere including the sidewalks on Saturday.

Pilla isn't who you have to worry about. Andy Purcell is the one you would have had to worry about, he was very on top of the ball situation all year. Heard ball costs were down over $10,000 for the Conference this year.

I saw several cars get hit in the C tourny, and we weren't even using hard cores. Wind was blowing out on white Marucci, and there were cars all over the place out there.

I didn't take 1 ball from the C tourny. Everything I picked up had been sitting. Most of the balls were wet. If USSSA is so concerned about balls, they can go rooting through the weeds and lakes. PLENTY of balls hiding in there for anyone who's diligent enough to go after them.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Were you a 2023 free agent or was your team not going to worlds and they asked you to join them?

Complicated, but essentially the team I was on stopped playing and I wanted swings so they picked me up for D State then asked me to stay on for Worlds. They also revamped their roster and had a C spot open. We're not in jeopardy of winning Worlds by any means.....but will be a good trip.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Complicated, but essentially the team I was on stopped playing and I wanted swings so they picked me up for D State then asked me to stay on for Worlds. They also revamped their roster and had a C spot open. We're not in jeopardy of winning Worlds by any means.....but will be a good trip.
We don't have much hope of winning E either. We started the season awful but have started playing better ball lately. We are 3 or 4 pieces away from being a contender and I think we have 3 D spots available. But, I like everyone on the team, we have fun, and it's my first year back in tournaments in like 10 years so I'm pretty happy all things considered.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
We played like trash and there were some managerial decisions I didn't necessarily agree with. Nothing would have helped us game 1 but game 2 we could have put ourselves in a better position to win. I went 3-6 so I could have done more with the bat.

The balls were carrying pretty well. The umpiring was a tick above OK. Watching a few games from the top rows of the stadium you can really see how E teams completely ignore fundamentals.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
We played like trash and there were some managerial decisions I didn't necessarily agree with. Nothing would have helped us game 1 but game 2 we could have put ourselves in a better position to win. I went 3-6 so I could have done more with the bat.

The balls were carrying pretty well. The umpiring was a tick above OK. Watching a few games from the top rows of the stadium you can really see how E teams completely ignore fundamentals.
I watched the team from WI this morning, pitcher walked the bases loaded, get a fly ball to center and CF throws to 3 instead of 2 like he should have, next pitch would have been a double play, instead they only get one. A simple mental mistake cost 4 runs in that inning. Completely different than what I saw last week working C. I saw one of the Conference Umpires of the Year working today in the Stadium. I also know a couple that are there that are not much more than adequate league umpires.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I watched the team from WI this morning, pitcher walked the bases loaded, get a fly ball to center and CF throws to 3 instead of 2 like he should have, next pitch would have been a double play, instead they only get one. A simple mental mistake cost 4 runs in that inning. Completely different than what I saw last week working C. I saw one of the Conference Umpires of the Year working today in the Stadium. I also know a couple that are there that are not much more than adequate league umpires.
I watched one of the best NJ teams and EVERY throw from the OF was to the wrong base except for one. That throw airmailed the bag and there was nobody backing up. In the 3 games I watched there may have been a dozen situations where it was runners on 1st and 2nd with nobody out and I think I only saw one guy hit behind the runners.

I don't usually jump on umpires for missed calls. It's not easy, most of them just do it for fun and a few extra bucks with minimal training. Hell, that's me. I do however fault umpires that won't hustle to get into position to make a call, don't use proper hand signals, or aren't even close to loud enough when making calls.

blakcherry329

I'm noticing that softball IQ is rapidly declining. Everyone rather show off their arm than hit the cutoff, Fly out cuz you're trying to hit a bomb when a base hit is what's needed, Swing at the first pitch when the pitcher can't find the strike zone cuz "I'm not here to walk" smh.
Fastpitch or slowpitch, doesn't matter. No fundamentals.

DirtBag215

I'm noticing that softball IQ is rapidly declining. Everyone rather show off their arm than hit the cutoff, Fly out cuz you're trying to hit a bomb when a base hit is what's needed, Swing at the first pitch when the pitcher can't find the strike zone cuz "I'm not here to walk" smh.
This!!! I can’t tell you how many times a week, no matter what team I’m playing for, do I scream hit the cutoff man because everybody wants to throw out the guy at 3rd but throws it outta play for an overthrown run

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
This!!! I can’t tell you how many times a week, no matter what team I’m playing for, do I scream hit the cutoff man because everybody wants to throw out the guy at 3rd but throws it outta play for an overthrown run
One of my biggest pet peeves as an OF is when the cutoff man doesn't line up with the base the throw is going to. I'm trying to get the ball in as fast as possible. Sometimes I throw it over the cutoff, sometimes I short hop him and it skips by. Not a big deal if the cutoff is lines up as he should. Very big deal if he just takes a few steps in my direction and isn't in line with anything but the 3b dugout.

On every play, every player has a job to do. If they all do their jobs right things go smoothly. If one person messes up, there are supposed to be contingencies.

If I overthrow the cut but he did his job right, no biggie. If I overthrow the cut and he didn't do his job right, we're in trouble. If I make a throw from the fence to the relay man and he throws it wild of the bag and there is nobody backing up, we're in trouble. There are a lot of guys standing around on plays that they think don't involve them but if you're on the field, you have a job to do every time the ball is in play.

DirtBag215

One of my biggest pet peeves as an OF is when the cutoff man doesn't line up with the base the throw is going to. I'm trying to get the ball in as fast as possible. Sometimes I throw it over the cutoff, sometimes I short hop him and it skips by. Not a big deal if the cutoff is lines up as he should. Very big deal if he just takes a few steps in my direction and isn't in line with anything but the 3b dugout.

On every play, every player has a job to do. If they all do their jobs right things go smoothly. If one person messes up, there are supposed to be contingencies.

If I overthrow the cut but he did his job right, no biggie. If I overthrow the cut and he didn't do his job right, we're in trouble. If I make a throw from the fence to the relay man and he throws it wild of the bag and there is nobody backing up, we're in trouble. There are a lot of guys standing around on plays that they think don't involve them but if you're on the field, you have a job to do every time the ball is in play.
I agree with everything you just said. But more often than not, I see guys throw lasers 4ft over the cutoff man’s head to attempt to make a play that he has no business trying to make causing unnecessary runs. And yeah, I definitely see the cutoff man not positioned right a lot too. Ball hit between LF/LC, runner rounding 2nd and the cutoff is damn near at 2nd

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
E ball is where these players are supposed to learn these things so they can move up to D........or stay E for life. Either way........
Too bad most of them won't listen. A lot of E ballers, especially the younger ones, are too stubborn to even take a break during a tournament. Take half of game 2 off and sit game 4 so that you can still play come game 7? Nah, i'll play every inning of every game and drag ass in game 7....

A lot of the fundamentals they should have in their heads from little league. But I play with a lot of guys of all ages that are just lost out there.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with everything you just said. But more often than not, I see guys throw lasers 4ft over the cutoff man’s head to attempt to make a play that he has no business trying to make causing unnecessary runs. And yeah, I definitely see the cutoff man not positioned right a lot too. Ball hit between LF/LC, runner rounding 2nd and the cutoff is damn near at 2nd
I mostly play LF when I'm in the OF. I also cant throw lasers anymore. If the cutoff isn't lined up with 3b I just lob a 2 hopper to 3b anyway and they look at me like I'm the idiot. Take the 4 steps to get lined up instead of just turning around. Physical errors happen, even in the pros. Mental errors are another story. Laziness is even worse.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the same IQ I've witnessed for thirty years.