Utrip Bat length at 35" instead of 34"....Is this illegal for USSSA?

4xtra

Player/Coach
I noticed something interesting.

This is in regards to the
Mizuno Crush
28oz
USSSA

The bat is 35" instead of 34" in length

would that make the bat illegal for USSSA?

I do know that you get a higher MOI with a longer bat
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

4xtra

Player/Coach
Thats why people drop fingers, to try to get a longer bat. I would take a 35 for sure.
There is a story online about a guy who made a 36 inch bat at his shop and
they said the shots he hit were absolutely unreal.
A broken in 36 inch bat that is end loaded hitting 44's be would be almost lethal...
The MOI on that bat would be extreme

Hiltz

Built for comfort
There is a story online about a guy who made a 36 inch bat at his shop and
they said the shots he hit were absolutely unreal.
A broken in 36 inch bat that is end loaded hitting 44's be would be almost lethal...
The MOI on that bat would be extreme

It would be like dropping 2 fingers and overlapping 2 fingers on a 34" bat. Definite improvement, but nothing crazy.

Unless you dropped fingers and overlapped on the 36" bat...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
It would be like dropping 2 fingers and overlapping 2 fingers on a 34" bat. Definite improvement, but nothing crazy.

Unless you dropped fingers and overlapped on the 36" bat...

Yes. I figure you get an extra 2-3" of bat to work with when using the overlap grip. You notice it, but it isn't revolutionary. It does increase leverage.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Illegal per USSSA rules

Does it have a stamp?

Does usssa count the knob and endcap as part of the bat? I’m guessing they do. We also can’t exactly see where the other end of the tape is.

Had a 35 inch PST back in the day, just a manufacturing defect,

Wonder if all Crushes are like this one

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
The blue and silver RB28 frenzy was like the last mizuno bat that i thought was any good and I’m pretty sure that came out in either 2010 or 2011

goldglover79

Nc Vinci player rep
The blue and silver RB28 frenzy was like the last mizuno bat that i thought was any good and I’m pretty sure that came out in either 2010 or 2011

The Rusty Bumgardner was pretty good too. Other than that the Frenzy was the only two bats from Mizuno I can remember being worth a crap.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
If you know USSSA restricts bat length to 34" and knowingly use a 35" bat, I say you're a cheater.

blakcherry329

Seeing the full measurement of the bat would go a long way. I haven't measured a bat, ever. So I'm not sure where the official measuring begins and ends. I assume it's the entire bat.
That's a pretty big miss from the QA dept.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Seeing the full measurement of the bat would go a long way. I haven't measured a bat, ever. So I'm not sure where the official measuring begins and ends. I assume it's the entire bat.
That's a pretty big miss from the QA dept.

Yeah, I was wondering if the endcap was part of the official measurement

Country469

If its got a usssa stamp on it that means USSSA has signed on off that model being legal, unless it has been altered in any way that bat is legal.

blakcherry329

If its got a usssa stamp on it that means USSSA has signed on off that model being legal, unless it has been altered in any way that bat is legal.
Playing devil's advocate, if you knowingly use a bat that may have slipped through the cracks, so to speak, are you breaking the rules by using it? I'm just stirring the pot here. :D
I really don't care and wouldn't call anyone that used the bat a cheater, imo;)

Hiltz

Built for comfort
That particular bat wasn't approved by USSSA; the MODEL was and that one bat slipped through production.

Adding 1" isn't going to make a huge difference. But in the same vein; if you saw a senior bat on a rack, you knew it was a senior bat, but it had an ASA stamp on it would you use it in ASA play?

Country469

there is no slipping through the cracks. The chinese manufacturing is not exact enough yet, period. There are tolerances that most bats can fall in for production. Think of the same model bat you had 3 of and how they were all never identical. That. And then apply it to manufacturing processes and compliance stuff.

Unless the bat is altered after its been shipped from the manuf, its legal for play. IF you snitch and call home office, they may audit Mizuno and the bat who knows. I dont have access to their contract with utrip

Redsfan

So after reading this thread I thought I would measure both of my bats. My 2018 Worth Legit is 33 3/4 inches and my 2017 Mizuno is 33 7/8 inches.
I would have to assume there is probably a +/- of an allowance above or below 34 inches in the USSSA agreement/contract with these manufacturers. One full inch seems like alot but maybe that's the max discrepancy.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
there is no slipping through the cracks. The chinese manufacturing is not exact enough yet, period. There are tolerances that most bats can fall in for production. Think of the same model bat you had 3 of and how they were all never identical. That. And then apply it to manufacturing processes and compliance stuff.

I would have to assume there is probably a +/- of an allowance above or below 34 inches in the USSSA agreement/contract with these manufacturers. One full inch seems like alot but maybe that's the max discrepancy.

I currently own 3 different Blackouts, a Nighthawk, and an old Techfire. Oddly enough, the 18yo Techfire is the only one that measures exactly 34", the others are 33-7/8" and 33-15/16".

A full inch isn't a manufacturer's tolerance, that's some guy showing up hungover after Chinese new year and completely dropping the ball.

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
Basically what he said. If for some reason a bat leaves the factory testing at 210 out of the wrapper due to quality control it's legal to use since you haven't altered it and it has the USSSA stamp. However just like a bat testing 210 it's only legal until an official tests it, or measures it (kind of how ASA umpires used to). In this case no umpire is going to bring a tape measure so you are fully legal.