Vinci BR46 vs Nokona WS 1400 C

igo4uga0586

Addicted to Softballfans
Both gloves are in my current price range (150-180) for a 14" glove. I have read about every thread on the two but never compared directly to one another.

So far I have gathered Vincis will run smaller and the nokona will run true to bigger.

Help me out in the choice of my new 14" glove that will hopefully last forever.

Thanks guys

RalphG427

On the bench
Both would be good options. I would personally go with the BR46 for the open web and modified open back on it. Vinci's do generally run smaller but BR46's are huge from what I have seen in pictures. Leather quality on the Nokona will be better IMO but I just don't care for the closed web.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know the BR46, but I can offer this on the WS1400. The WS1400 was originally the AMG400. I think it was designed in the 1980s and is patterned similarly to the Rawlings PRO-H of that time. It was Nokona's first large softball glove pattern). It has a massive hand stall, so if you wear a size XXL batting glove, it is a good choice. The Nokona WS1350 is almost as big (and was listed at 14" for a while). Mine measures 13.5". Realize that a lot of gloves listed as 14" are actually smaller than 13.5". A guy on my team has a 14" Mizuno which I measured at 13". I am a bit fan of the WS1350. Here is a picture of my AMG700 (WS1350) with a ball, and next to a 12" Nokona. Hard to imagine that the WS1350 would not be big enough for you!

mikgars

Manager
Sorry no experience with the Nokona but my BR46 measures within an 1/8 of an inch of being true to size. This is a pic of when I first got it so the pocket had not formed yet and the ball is sitting higher up in the web than it does now.

igo4uga0586

Addicted to Softballfans
Rous, do we know for sure that they havent made any changes between the old AMG's and the new WS's? Is the hand stall a hinderance?

Mikgars, is your glove 1/8 small or big?

I am coming from a "13.5 inch" Grey and Black/navy liberty advanced

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The only change is that the WS1350 does not have Velcro. Measure your LA, I am going to bet it is closer to 13" than 13.5".

If you have smaller hands, the WS1400 may be a, pun intended, handful. The 1350 has a more standard size.

Last edited:

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I can't imagine a 14" Nokona, my 13" is a big handful but a great softball glove, shallow and wide and a true 13" length. My BR46 is deeper, taller (true 14"), and narrower to the heel. I'd go with Rous maxing out with a 13.5" Nokona or the BR46 if you absolutely want a 14" tall glove.

For IF (pitching) if you need a shield the Nokona as it is wider and will take some heat off the ball. For OF, I would go with the BR, fingers more rigid, H-web, and better pattern for OF (wide top, narrow heel, like an ELO on steroids)

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I am fine with the WS1350 as my OF glove (so far, just used it during BP), but I tried it at first base and it is so big that on one play I thought the ball had gotten by me when I had it in my glove! It is the widest glove I have ever seen, but I'd never use it in the infield -- big pocket means it can be hard to find the ball.

mikgars

Manager
Here are some pics for you of the BR46. This really is a difficult glove to get an accurate measurement from. Once the tape hits the edge of the pocket near the base of index finger it really wants to take a right hand turn and head toward the thumb. I need a narrower tape. Looks like if you measure to the glove side of the binding you will get 13.75 on the nose, if you take the measurement to the outside edge its pretty true to 14".
I also threw in an updated pocket pick as the glove is much closer to being game ready than in the last pic show.

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
While there are a number of Vinci gloves that run smaller than the listed size, the BR46 is one of the gloves that does play true to size. Vinci also has the BR4600-22 glove that is 14". The only difference between the BR46 and the BR4600-22 is the leather one the BR46 is 5 oz kip while the BR4600-22 uses steerhide. The BR46 will also have a little better internal components (i.e. palm pad, finger linings).

igo4uga0586

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the pics Mikgars! That is a true 14" glove!

I want a glove that is gonna last me a really long time. This is a lot of money to spend on a glove!!

The cheapest the nokona has been from the SBF store, and havent really found a good deal on the Vinci other than used on the board. I am pretty anal about breaking in a glove just like i like it from the beginning so it fits my hand just right, so I would be open to a basically NIW/NWT/NWOT one on the board.

If I am going to spend this amount of money, I would really want to stay away from the -22 series, I have heard a lot of not good things about these gloves.

So far in this thread, I have gathered that:

Nokona: 14" is a huge glove, better leather than vinci, better internals than vinci, short but wide glove

Vinvi: True 14", lighter kip leather, taller but narrower glove, maybe a little more rigid of a glove than Nokona

I mainly pitch in tourneys, but play anywhere in league, so the wider glove would not be a bad thing.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I would want the wider glove for pitching, I wouldn't use my BR4600-22 for pitching at all but many may disagree with me. I also prefer a ~12.5" and wide glove for pitching so take that fwiw. I would pick the Nokona for your application cause I wouldn't want to mutilate the BR to make it player wide, just seems like the perfect OF/1st base glove the way it is with tall rigid fingers and a deeeeep pocket. A local Vinci rep can get you a deal on a Vinci and their might be better options for you, from what I understand the BR45 plays wide and tall, may be a good option. Huzzdog who pitches against thethe big boys uses one as his weapon of choice.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought I read somewhere (probably GWF) that you can order an H-web directly from Nokona for the 1400 (but not the 1350). All their webs run $25 each, not including shipping.

Brewzer

NW Vinci Rep
Thanks for the pics Mikgars! That is a true 14" glove!

I want a glove that is gonna last me a really long time. This is a lot of money to spend on a glove!!

The cheapest the nokona has been from the SBF store, and havent really found a good deal on the Vinci other than used on the board. I am pretty anal about breaking in a glove just like i like it from the beginning so it fits my hand just right, so I would be open to a basically NIW/NWT/NWOT one on the board.

If I am going to spend this amount of money, I would really want to stay away from the -22 series, I have heard a lot of not good things about these gloves.

So far in this thread, I have gathered that:

Nokona: 14" is a huge glove, better leather than vinci, better internals than vinci, short but wide glove

Vinvi: True 14", lighter kip leather, taller but narrower glove, maybe a little more rigid of a glove than Nokona

I mainly pitch in tourneys, but play anywhere in league, so the wider glove would not be a bad thing.

1. I wouldn't be so sure the Nokona glove has better leather.
2. I wouldn't be so certain the Nokona has better internals either
3. I had the buffalo Nokona 13" glove and it was a beautiful leather but become soft very quikcly, and not in a good way.
4. Contact Gofisch, he is the SBF Vinci player rep for your area and can help you with pricing. ;)

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I just got a chance to measure a Nokona 1400, it is 13". The ws1350 is larger, at 13.5".

i have both, my amg 400 k b ow is super wide, but not long. i call it a semi custom. they used to have an open web, it is a single post. when i ordered mine i was able to get open web, kangaroo back, it is all black. i say semi because of what i couldn't change,closed velcro back only at that time. now my 3rd baseman uses it. and i pitch with my BR46. palm pad has already saved my hand. modified open back lets me put tip and put my index finger out. some day i will get one of my brats to post pics of my gloves on here. sorry. btw i love nokona, but im in love with my BR46. im an open web open back guy.

sleeping bear

Extra Hitter
I'll weigh in here for the Nokona. An absolutely legit piece of leather that you have to "earn it" to break that bad boy in but once you do it's yours.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I have had 3 Vincis and a dozen+ Nokonas through the house. Of all the leathers, I would rank them like this:
1. Nokona Bloodline
2. Vinci 6.5oz kip
3. Walnut
4. Walnut/Buffalo (this is #1 in aesthetics)
5. Walnut/black kangaroo
6. Vinci 5 oz. Limited and Sandstone/Kangaroo
7. Nokona Sandstone/Buckskin

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The AMG I have in my possession right now is disassembled, but it seems to be about as wide as my AMG650 (WS1300) and AMG600 (WS1250) and not quite as wide as the AMG700 (WS1350).

I pitch, and I use an AMG600 (WS1250), but I have an AMG650 on the shelf if I decide to go larger.

igo4uga0586

Addicted to Softballfans
I didnt even know they existed! No advertisement on the vinci website, just happened to get lucky and smarkley happened to comment on a post of mine. I am pretty excited.