Waiting on pitch

johnnycee

looking for timing devices or drills to keep me from pulling virtually every pitch. You'd think I could figure this out, but I tell myself to wait,wait, wait, and I still am out front!

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
batting practice
and more batting practice. I find what helps me (been having the same problem this year) and that is to focus on zone that I want to hit the ball and not follow the pitch all the way in and watch the ball meet the bat in that zone It is what we use to call zone hitting. With less than 2 strikes you focus on that zone and start your swing when the balls enters that zone. You need quick wrist action to be fairly successful.

Biggest problem is getting a pitcher with good control. I use a Wheeler Dealer which is almost as good.

dfresh27

Use a tee....focus on where the ball is. Make sure the tee is set correctly in front of you. Then go to live pitching. Practice, Practice.

KingTheTyrant

Taking practice swings while you are on deck that specifically focus at creating your timing may help. Mainly practice is going to be your best bet though. When you are in a "pressure" situation your body is going to revert to how you have practiced.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Lots and lots of BP. Force yourself to wait.
Use a tee....focus on where the ball is. Make sure the tee is set correctly in front of you. Then go to live pitching. Practice, Practice.
Tee won't help with timing.

///////////////
Couple deep breaths when you get in the box and remind yourself its just softball

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
There is absolutely nothing wrong with pulling the ball as long as it is between the lines, hit it hard and see if (if you are a righty) ss 3b lf can make a play..lol

It took me a long time to figure out and consistently hit other parts of the field..

Now I can't pull the ball for the life of me lol...

Country469

If the entire infield shifts, the pitcher busts you inside, and you still think its a good idea to pull............el oh el

jhitman

looking for timing devices or drills to keep me from pulling virtually every pitch. You'd think I could figure this out, but I tell myself to wait,wait, wait, and I still am out front!

This has been my biggest issue in slowpitch for a long time now. I try to do now what Scott Kirby says he does all the time. I wait with my weight back on the right side, very relaxed grip until the ball hits it's apex then start my swing. I'm always out on my front foot so this little trick seems to help me wait longer. Also, practicing going opposite field will help you wait longer too.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
If the entire infield shifts, the pitcher busts you inside, and you still think its a good idea to pull............el oh el
Yep.. When i did pull exclusively I was younger and hit much harder than I do now.. Not many (shifts) stopped me from doing so..lol

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Another thing is to just work on middle. Don't worry about right side at first. Just get the middle shot down and then move on to 3-4 hole.

MaStEr IrOc

I have been taught that I need to keep my front foot up longer to time with the pitch. I used to be out in front, but every time im up now, I just keep my leg in the air a little longer before beginning my stride and send it up the middle.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Wait until the ball is at its apex to decide if you're going to swing, then put the best hit you can reliably put on it. Practice getting fancy with oppo in BP with the same mentality until you can reliably go oppo or pull.

I don't think about oppo unless the pitch is there, I'm more accurate/reliable picking somewhere between 3b to pitcher and just hitting the ball hard through it. Cousin of mine is the exact opposite and he's on base quite a bit, but he practiced in live BP until he could reliably pick his spots.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I wait with my weight back on the right side, very relaxed grip until the ball hits it's apex then start my swing.

Wait until the ball is at its apex to decide if you're going to swing, then put the best hit you can reliably put on it.

Quit worrying about the apex.

If you don't pay attention to the apex and load up too early, a good pitcher will pick up on it and throw you off balance with change-ups and breaking balls.

Country469

Mixing speeds and arcs as a pitcher is important for sure, but I've yet to see a pitcher throw off anyone with that they did. Batters get themselves out 95% of the time, pitchers just pitch.