Walking vs Kicking

fun3size

Star Player
Ok so... I've been YouTubin batting practices and I've noticed that some guys walk up to the pitch rather than kicking when being pitched to. Why is that?

Pretty

Softball is cool
Preference as far as I am aware at least for the most part. Some say they generate more power, some say they can get to more pitches and control where they put the ball. Do what is comfortable.

xxomegawpnxx

Addicted to Softballfans
For the record the only reason I see people doing it is when they A)Think they're getting more power, or B) are trying to hit oppo.

When I get into a slump, or just get bored I walk the box. It's easy for me to hit either way as I learned how to do both very early on. I'm naturally a RF hitter even though im a righty batter but i hit like a girl (no offense ;) )

shipe35

Addicted to Softballfans
I use walking the box more for timing. I am an ex baseball player to it was natural for me to swing as soon as i see the pitch go so walking the box helps me time and get me to rotate my hips more

Mr. Baseball

Addicted to Softballfans
I find I cant hit oppo better when I walk the box, if i want to pull it or try to crush one, i wait and kick.

xxomegawpnxx

Addicted to Softballfans
I find I cant hit oppo better when I walk the box, if i want to pull it or try to crush one, i wait and kick.

I think it slows down alot of peoples swings because theyre force to wait for their feet to catch up. To each their own and I don't doubt what you're saying one bit.

fun3size

Star Player
For the record the only reason I see people doing it is when they A)Think they're getting more power, or B) are trying to hit oppo.

When I get into a slump, or just get bored I walk the box. It's easy for me to hit either way as I learned how to do both very early on. I'm naturally a RF hitter even though im a righty batter but i hit like a girl (no offense ;) )

Lol no offense taken :D

jstrong

They love to hate me
Leg kick to generate power, walk the box to place the ball where you want it. Every rule has an exception, so if the pitcher sux and is laying flat pitches short you may "walk the box" to drive a ball.

44oki

Hillbilly
Leg kick to generate power, walk the box to place the ball where you want it. Every rule has an exception, so if the pitcher sux and is laying flat pitches short you may "walk the box" to drive a ball.

How about walk the box to get your weight going forward=generating power?

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
I walk the box to go to RC or up the middle.
Turn my feet to go oppo
Leg kick for everything else.

buser699

Heading Home
Yep, a good pitcher will make a box walker look silly

i have to disagree with this. I walk the box in both ASA and Utrip and have no problem. I hit for average usually somewhere around .700 for a tourny and play with guys that trick pitch and pump fake. it doesn't effect me. others it might.

i have to disagree with this. I walk the box in both ASA and Utrip and have no problem. I hit for average usually somewhere around .700 for a tourny and play with guys that trick pitch and pump fake. it doesn't effect me. others it might.

you must have quick hands and feet... Ive seen many box walkers get schooled.

buser699

Heading Home
you must have quick hands and feet... Ive seen many box walkers get schooled.

i've been walking the box for the past 8-10 years or so. i think i am just used to it. I had no issues and faced some good pitchers when i was playing in san diego, texas and north carolina.

brendan6410

King of the Suck
When I first started playing softball, I used the same stance I had used for baseball, which was a wide, low stance, just a foot "tap," then turn and rip. I was mostly hitting ground balls and low flying line drives. I really wasn't getting any lift on my hits.

Then a teammate suggested I stand up more in the box and use an exaggerated leg kick to generate more power. However, what I noticed was that instead of driving off my back leg, the leg kick had me falling forward, not driving forward. I tried tinkering with it, but was never consistent.

About two years ago, I toyed with walking the box during BP. It took a while before I was comfortable with where I wanted to start in the box, what kind of footwork worked best for me, etc... Now that I've I found what works best for me, I have become a much better hitter IMO. I can now hit to any part of the field, with more power than I could with either of my other two approaches.

I still think I should be able to generate more power if I wasn't walking the box, but I'm not gonna mess with my swing for the time being.

fun3size

Star Player
When I first started playing softball, I used the same stance I had used for baseball, which was a wide, low stance, just a foot "tap," then turn and rip. I was mostly hitting ground balls and low flying line drives. I really wasn't getting any lift on my hits.

Then a teammate suggested I stand up more in the box and use an exaggerated leg kick to generate more power. However, what I noticed was that instead of driving off my back leg, the leg kick had me falling forward, not driving forward. I tried tinkering with it, but was never consistent.

About two years ago, I toyed with walking the box during BP. It took a while before I was comfortable with where I wanted to start in the box, what kind of footwork worked best for me, etc... Now that I've I found what works best for me, I have become a much better hitter IMO. I can now hit to any part of the field, with more power than I could with either of my other two approaches.

I still think I should be able to generate more power if I wasn't walking the box, but I'm not gonna mess with my swing for the time being.

that'd be me, i struggle with leaning into the ball rather than letting the momentum go from my ankles to knees to hips to shoulders then hands. it's rather frustrating but i'm still practicing like mad during bp. i never thought walking the box was another option.

thanks guys! this definitely answered my question :)

fun3size

Star Player
that'd be me, i struggle with leaning into the ball rather than letting the momentum go from my ankles to knees to hips to shoulders then hands. it's rather frustrating but i'm still practicing like mad during bp. i never thought walking the box was another option.

thanks guys! this definitely answered my question :)

ok not 'option', but i didn't know that guys walk the box for the various reasons given. i don't think i'll end up walking the box but good to know.

john3906

Starting Player
I usually walk up the box then back again then to the side a little, wait a second, do a little shake shake in my left leg, drop my elbow and BOOM! One hopper to the 3rd baseman.

brendan6410

King of the Suck
I usually walk up the box then back again then to the side a little, wait a second, do a little shake shake in my left leg, drop my elbow and BOOM! One hopper to the 3rd baseman.

Kinda sounds like Warpath's approach, but he'd hit a "scud bomb" out of a 250' field. IJS... :rolleyes:

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO, you should be able to place the ball w/out walking the box. Good hitters can do it standing straight. If the only time you hit opposite is when you walk the box, the defense should pick up on this quickly which kind of defeats the purpose of going opposite. A great hitter will generate as much power if not more by just pushing off the back leg. Same reason you don't see professional golf players walking to the ball to hit it like Happy Gilmore. Some might also say that walking the box is unnecessary movement. It's just one more thing that could possibly go wrong when trying to hit. If walking the box is comfortable and somehow makes you think you're getting more power, then I guess do it. I think it's a waste though!

wooitssteve

Addicted to Softballfans
I walk the box to be able to put it anywhere. When I stand and load, I'm a straight pull hitter. Also, it helps me get my hands out in front and cut the ball a lot better. If I stand and load, I tend to revert back to my baseball roots and stay too compact.

brendan6410

King of the Suck
IMO, you should be able to place the ball w/out walking the box. Good hitters can do it standing straight. If the only time you hit opposite is when you walk the box, the defense should pick up on this quickly which kind of defeats the purpose of going opposite. A great hitter will generate as much power if not more by just pushing off the back leg. Same reason you don't see professional golf players walking to the ball to hit it like Happy Gilmore. Some might also say that walking the box is unnecessary movement. It's just one more thing that could possibly go wrong when trying to hit. If walking the box is comfortable and somehow makes you think you're getting more power, then I guess do it. I think it's a waste though!

I agree with the bold section of this quote, but for me, I was unable to consistently generate power, and my timing was off, if I were to just stand tall at the plate. Not saying that walking the box is better, but it works for me.

03lemansz

Addicted to Softballfans
I walk only to position the pitch where I want to play it. Very situational...

If I don't want to place the ball, usually just leg kick unless it's low and outside.

CS Express

Star Player
I almost exclusively play USSSA and I walk the box. It took me almost two years to become truly effective with walking the box. The main reason I walk the box is because I can get almost any pitch over the plate in my wheelhouse and hit any pitch to any spot on the field. You can’t pitch me inside or outside, short or deep, because I can adjust. I walk and still push or pull the ball depending on the pitch and how much I walk. Once in a while a very good USSSA pitcher will get me a little off balance but that can happen to anyone walking or not.

Last edited:

Country35

Banned User
I almost exclusively play USSSA and I walk the box. It took me almost two years to become truly effective with walking the box. The main reason I walk the box is because I can get almost any pitch over the plate in my wheelhouse and hit any pitch to any spot on the field. You can’t pitch me inside or outside, short or deep, because I can adjust. I walk and still push or pull the ball depending on the pitch and how much I walk. Once in a while a very good USSSA pitcher will get me a little off balance but that can happen to anyone walking or not.

this.....walking the box ensures a short pitch will be high enough to hammer, and outside pitch can be pulled, or an inside pitch will be pushed. Caution to everyone tho, if you don't practice it for a while first, dont bother in a game, you'll look like a fool when you pop out.