Webbing

Hey guys - I'm sure this has been discussed so sorry to rehash an old thread or common knowledge, but what is the deal with Eastons being so prone to webbing? And what does the webbing mean? Last year a guy on my local league team had a 15 Wegman ASA and early on the bat started to splinter up. By the end of the season it looked like it was about ready to fall apart but it was still performing. ... This season a few guys showed up with a NIW 16 Helmer ASA and a NIW 16 Kirby ASA. Both bats have around 100 cuts on them, each and are already webbed up. The barrels look like they have 1000 swings not 100.

My question - what does this all mean?

4xtra

Player/Coach
Hey guys - I'm sure this has been discussed so sorry to rehash an old thread or common knowledge, but what is the deal with Eastons being so prone to webbing? And what does the webbing mean? Last year a guy on my local league team had a 15 Wegman ASA and early on the bat started to splinter up. By the end of the season it looked like it was about ready to fall apart but it was still performing. ... This season a few guys showed up with a NIW 16 Helmer ASA and a NIW 16 Kirby ASA. Both bats have around 100 cuts on them, each and are already webbed up. The barrels look like they have 1000 swings not 100.

My question - what does this all mean?

that is VERY superficial webbing on the PAINT not the metal.
My 16Kiby's did this within 50 swings out the wrapper.
I have also seen this on the Baker, Wegman, Realtree, 16 and 17 Flex ASA and Utrip, Helmer Black and Gold, L5 and L1.
One of my Kirby's now has 3900+ swings and is testing at 215-220 (depending on the side)
and I honestly think the bat will go over 7000+ swings EASY.
Another thing about Easton is that you may see diagonal stress cracks on the barrel (especially on ASA Easton's), that simply is a sign of the bat breaking in and the bat will last a long time, even hitting rocks.
I hit 44's all day long with mine and they are hanging tough.
I love Easton bats despite the long break in time.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Yeah, the '16 Eastons have some brittle paint. Literally the first swing I put on my '16 Kirby produced webbing.... with a .52 300 ball. That said, the bat is solid. No problems whatsoever and I don't expect it to have durability problems.

I haven't noticed any webbing on the '15 models.

Gladzilla

Extra Hitter
Yeah, the '16 Eastons have some brittle paint. Literally the first swing I put on my '16 Kirby produced webbing.... with a .52 300 ball. That said, the bat is solid. No problems whatsoever and I don't expect it to have durability problems.

I haven't noticed any webbing on the '15 models.

my team easton has webbing

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Webbing is just cracks in the clear coat. It means your bat is flexing more than the clear coat can. The more the better

4xtra

Player/Coach
For the record,
TWMcCoy is the OFFICIAL SBF Easton expert.
Go to him for questions that you may have.