NSA Weird Call - Result Triple Play

popo4u

Addicted to Softballfans
I was playing in a NSA tourney last weekend - we had the bases loaded, no outs. The batter hits a grounder to 2nd base. As the 2nd baseman goes to tag the runner going from 1st to 2nd, the runner slides and grabs the glove of the defender. The runners advance from 2nd to third and third to home. The umpires get together and call interference on the runner. They call him out, the batter out and they call the runner that went from 3rd to home out. I can understand the outs on the interfering runner and the out at 1st. What I do not understand is why the runner who advancede to home out. Can somebody explain why this call was made?

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
I think they got this wrong and should only have taken the most advanced runner..... for 2 outs - not 3.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The most advanced runner is called out when a retired runner interferes.

Since this runner was not yet out, then the immediately trailing runner would be called out (that is, if the umpire judges that the interference was an attempt to prevent a double play, which would probably be a good assumption on this play).

Runner from third gets returned to last base at the time of the interference.

Last edited:

popo4u

Addicted to Softballfans
This seems reasonable and pretty much what we thought. However, this was not what was called unfortunately.