Weird Game Ending

hsach

Extra Hitter
ASA men's team last night. We are visitor and the home team ties us up in the bottom of the 7th, we go to extras. We score one run in our half and they score one run and have bases loaded with one out. Our outfield plays in and the batter rips one over the head of our left center fielder to win the game. As we are slapping hands our first baseman takes the ball over to 3rd base and steps on it, ump yells "out", then our first baseman walks over to 1st and the ump yells "out".

At this point I am confused as Hell. Ump explains that the batter never went to first base so we were able to get out of the inning without the final run scoring. It gets better. After a few minutes of explaining the home team takes the field and we are about to start again. Ump has to tell the other team to stop swearing/bitching/threatening or they will have to forfeit, he has had enough. As the pitch is about to come, their first baseman asks the ump what kind of car he drives, ump tosses him. We win.

I have been playing for years and have never seen anything like this. Two of their guys tried to get thrown out for the entire season after the game, even begging the ump to do it. I wasn't sure if I should have felt good or bad about the outcome. I do know I was pissed about the game ending because I was up third, bastards!

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
Rules are rules and if the ump properly enforced them and the other team didn't heed his warning, then they got what they deserved.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
Rules are rules and if the ump properly enforced them and the other team didn't heed his warning, then they got what they deserved.

Agreed, and that is definately one of the craziest game endings I've ever heard of. Awesome heads up play by your 1B too.

DSNuts48

Badass
We got a triple play by a rule similar to that, it was a four base error on our left fielder and the 2 guys on base and the batter all walk into their dugout and the ump calls them all out consecutively as they step in the dugout.

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
i dont understand how since the batter didnt touch first the guy at third is out.... I guess i can see the batter not touching 1st is an out, but where did the out at 3rd come from??

hsach

Extra Hitter
No clue either, possibly the guy on 2nd didn't touch 3rd?

Not sure but I think it works out like this. Since the guy never went to first, he was out and then it caused a situation where the guy on third couldn't move up a bag without some type of base hit. Basically, he was never allowed to leave his base until someone legally moved him up.

I should add that I believe the guy on third left as soon as there was contact. If he had waited I guess he could have been called safe since it would be the same as a tag-up play.

Last edited:

hsach

Extra Hitter
Agreed, and that is definately one of the craziest game endings I've ever heard of. Awesome heads up play by your 1B too.

Our 1B was the only one on our team to even notice, everyone else was watching to see if the ball was going to go over our outfielder's head. All the guys on the other team were pretty good so I can't believe the batter didn't know that he had to at least touch first on a walkoff. I will be laughing about this for a long time though.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Not sure but I think it works out like this. Since the guy never went to first, he was out and then it caused a situation where the guy on third couldn't move up a bag without some type of base hit. Basically, he was never allowed to leave his base until someone legally moved him up.

I should add that I believe the guy on third left as soon as there was contact. If he had waited I guess he could have been called safe since it would be the same as a tag-up play.
No, it was a regular double play, with both outs being on the force. Had your 1B touched 1B first, it would have negated the force at 3B. Because he touched, 3B first, he was able to get the force out there, and then get the force at 1B. Even if the batter hadn't touched 1B, if the other runners touched the next base they were going to, the run would have scored.
Smart play by your 1B, absolutely stupid of your opponent to let that happen.

hsach

Extra Hitter
No, it was a regular double play, with both outs being on the force. Had your 1B touched 1B first, it would have negated the force at 3B. Because he touched, 3B first, he was able to get the force out there, and then get the force at 1B. Even if the batter hadn't touched 1B, if the other runners touched the next base they were going to, the run would have scored.
Smart play by your 1B, absolutely stupid of your opponent to let that happen.

Makes more sense now, thanks.

At least it will make for an interesting game the next time we play them.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
im always amazed at how few ppl watch the runners touch the bases. its an easy way to steal and out every now and then and all it does is require you to not have your thumb up your ass.

im also equally amazed at how ppl run the bases without touching them.

DSNuts48

Badass
im always amazed at how few ppl watch the runners touch the bases. its an easy way to steal and out every now and then and all it does is require you to not have your thumb up your ass.

im also equally amazed at how ppl run the bases without touching them.

Every now and again I'll missed 3rd by an inch or so, I try to stick the foot on the inside corner of the bag .

Gerdass

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, I assume the runners on the basebaths didn't touch their next base either (other than the guy running home)? If that's the case I get it.

we won a game b/c of batter/runner not going to first on a base hit.score tied(they home team)and runner on 3rd,2 outs and batter hits one to RF that drops in.i watch as batter doesn't go to 1st along with the base ump.i call for the ball and get the out,we turn around and score a few runs in the top and shut them out in the bottom half to win.
batter thought it was like a hit and sit hr,in that he didn't have to touch first when the run came in from 3rd.

G&Tbats

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA men's team last night. We are visitor and the home team ties us up in the bottom of the 7th, we go to extras. We score one run in our half and they score one run and have bases loaded with one out. Our outfield plays in and the batter rips one over the head of our left center fielder to win the game. As we are slapping hands our first baseman takes the ball over to 3rd base and steps on it, ump yells "out", then our first baseman walks over to 1st and the ump yells "out".

At this point I am confused as Hell. Ump explains that the batter never went to first base so we were able to get out of the inning without the final run scoring. It gets better. After a few minutes of explaining the home team takes the field and we are about to start again. Ump has to tell the other team to stop swearing/bitching/threatening or they will have to forfeit, he has had enough. As the pitch is about to come, their first baseman asks the ump what kind of car he drives, ump tosses him. We win.

I have been playing for years and have never seen anything like this. Two of their guys tried to get thrown out for the entire season after the game, even begging the ump to do it. I wasn't sure if I should have felt good or bad about the outcome. I do know I was pissed about the game ending because I was up third, bastards!

Was this a hr over the fence or did it stay in,:confused: 1 out right, if it stays in park guy at 3rd should be able to come home, OF didnt catch the ball. guy who didnt touch first is out?

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
No, it was a regular double play, with both outs being on the force. .

Only if runner from 2B didn't advance to 3B.

I had this happen a while ago. The "walk off" base hitter didn't go to first but by the time the ball got back to me at 1B, the teams were shaking hands and the ump was headed to the parking lot.:rolleyes:

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Only if runner from 2B didn't advance to 3B.

I had this happen a while ago. The "walk off" base hitter didn't go to first but by the time the ball got back to me at 1B, the teams were shaking hands and the ump was headed to the parking lot.:rolleyes:

That the assumption you have to make...

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
Haven't you killed yourself yet? Please do it soon.. Your not wanted here anymore, but yet you still keep coming around.. Your like the gift that keeps on giving... :cool:

you're damn right, I bring the gift to the ospb every day....you noticed....see I knew you cared

hsach

Extra Hitter
Was this a hr over the fence or did it stay in,:confused: 1 out right, if it stays in park guy at 3rd should be able to come home, OF didnt catch the ball. guy who didnt touch first is out?

The hit was not a homerun, it was over the outfielder's head and stayed in the park. I don't know what the guy on second or first did, I was watching the ball. From what was explained above, the ball was still live and by stepping on third the runner from second was forced out and then by stepping on first, the batter was forced out. I guess this assumes the guy from second never went to third. I don't know for sure since I can't say exactly where every runner was.