What do you want in a league?

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
...or what is your perfect league, and how much would you be willing to pay for it?

Around here we have no leagues that I would consider great. Something is wrong with each one of them. Either someone trying to squeeze too much out of it, and letting the fields go to ****, or the cities thinking that by going with crap balls and raising fees they will draw more teams in.

So what would you want in your perfect league? Build it from scratch. And I mean everything. From the fields, to the equipment, to the rules, to facilities at the fields, to well, anything you can think of.

jstrong

They love to hate me
turf fields, 36 teams broken up into 3 divisions and " A " , " B " and " C " where you have to win one to move up. C gets 1 HR per inning then inning ending, B gets 2 HR per inning then inning ending and A gets 2 per inning then OE should you be that guy. The fields would probably be 300 around but with 20 ft high fences in left. Rosters are frozen so no picking up whoever you want when ever. More or less a league filled with local tournament teams that use this as a venue to compete at a high level without points ect. I would also prefer this league to be USSSA with tested bats at the beginning and again just prior to playoffs. Maybe winner of each division gets a paid entry into their respective States tournament? Best part of all, Obama subsidizes the thing to promote inner city scholastics in an effort to fend off obesity. Entry fee for each team at the beginning of the season is $500.

yankeeboy

Addicted to Softballfans
turf fields, 36 teams broken up into 3 divisions and " A " , " B " and " C " where you have to win one to move up. C gets 1 HR per inning then inning ending, B gets 2 HR per inning then inning ending and A gets 2 per inning then OE should you be that guy. The fields would probably be 300 around but with 20 ft high fences in left. Rosters are frozen so no picking up whoever you want when ever. More or less a league filled with local tournament teams that use this as a venue to compete at a high level without points ect. I would also prefer this league to be USSSA with tested bats at the beginning and again just prior to playoffs. Maybe winner of each division gets a paid entry into their respective States tournament? Best part of all, Obama subsidizes the thing to promote inner city scholastics in an effort to fend off obesity. Entry fee for each team at the beginning of the season is $500.

You sir, had a lot of time to think about this. Lol

rainbow warrior

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd gladly pay a little extra in league fees so we can at least have a fence to keep the random families from wandering through the outfield every inning. Maybe it's a So-Cal thing.

Ben_Johnson41

The Gr8est Show on Dirt™
330' fences, ISA rules, supplied composite bats in each weight so teams/players will quit crying about shaved/altered bats.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
4 HR, competition, decent fields, lots of teams, lots of games, double headers every night, follow state USSSA rules, no stupid local league rules (like spotting 2 runs per C player in a D league). I'd pay up to $5 a game

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Good thoughts. If I can work out a deal with a guy on a piece of property, I've been considering starting a league set up with the following:

4 fields, 300' all the way around with 12' fences + 30' netting
4 divisions, A B C D, of 10 teams each.
Frozen rosters, teams will be assigned to divisions based on ASA/NSA/USSSA player check. There will also be roster checks for teams that break up and come back as “new” teams.
5 full hour game slots per night.
2 umpires/field
1 official scorer/field
4 league supplied composite bats per field 26/27/28/30
League supplied balls (absolutely no socks!)

League fee: $TBD/team + $250/team refundable deposit.
Forfeits pay the other team $50 from the $250 deposit, 2 forfeits is ejection from the session.
Bats being broken due to anger issues results in loss of team deposit.

10-12 game session + post season night
Awards to regular season stats leaders
Awards to Division MVPs
Winner of each division is refunded their league fee, or it may be applied to next session.
Division winners must move up next session.
Top 3 teams from each division advance to playoff night.
1 night, 12 team single elimination tournament
Division winners first round bye, random seeding for remaining teams.
Monetary award to tournament winner

HR Limits
A: None
B: 7
C: 4
D: 1

Teams must wear matching shirts – with numbers. Hey, you want to win money/equipment for being a stat leader or Division MVP don’t you?

What would you pay for a league like this?

Last edited: