ASA what is the asa rule for a foul tip caught by the catcher

sportsfan27

Part Time Player
I have heard the rule called several ways. The bater with a 1 and 1 count swings at a pitch nicks the ball and it goes directly back and are catcher catches the ball. heres the rule problem one umpire has called the batter out as its the same as any other fielder catching a foul ball. the other umpire calls it a strike due to it not going over the batters head which is the correct rule

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Which is the correct rule?

Neither.

A batted ball that goes straight back (as in a straight line, with no perceptible arc) to the catcher's hands and is caught is simply a strike. It's treated the same as a swing and a miss. It is NOT "the same as any other fielder catching a foul ball".

The other umpire that calls it a strike is probably right on that count. But the ball going "over the batter's head" has NOTHING to do with a foul tip. So, the explanation he gave you is wrong and, if it does go over the batter's head, he is going to be making the wrong call.

(NCASAUmp...how are those "frequently asked question" stickies coming along? :rolleyes: )

AJ22

Super Moderator
(NCASAUmp...how are those "frequently asked question" stickies coming along? :rolleyes: )

I'm guessing there not ..

You umpires have a choice to post like any other member at this site. More threads means more posts. More posts means more activity. More activity means ______ .. ;)

sportsfan27

Part Time Player
thanks for the replies its driving me nuts how the rule keeps gets interpreted by each umpire and one call cost us a game

AJ22

Super Moderator
thanks for the replies its driving me nuts how the rule keeps gets interpreted by each umpire and one call cost us a game

No one call ever costs a team the game ..

RULES SUPPLEMENT

22. FOUL BALL / FOUL TIP

The reference of the “height of the batter’s head” as it relates to a Foul Ball and Foul Tip no longer applies. This change, instituted in 2006, allows more opportunity for the catcher to obtain “outs” by catching foul batted balls the same as the first and third base person who is playing closer to home plate. Umpires only need to judge whether the ball moves from the bat “sharply” and “directly” versus a ball that has a perceptible arc and / or if the catcher moves their glove / mitt to catch the ball after contact with the bat. The definition of a foul ball has not changed. However, a foul tip is now defined as a batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the
catcher’s glove / mitt or hand and is legally caught by the catcher. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball remains live in Fast Pitch and Slow Pitch with stealing. It is not a catch
if the ball rebounds off the catcher, unless the ball has first touched the catcher’s glove / mitt or hand. Again, a foul tip can only be caught by the catcher. Examples of foul ball and foul tip follow:

A. A foul ball with “perceptible” arc goes toward the catcher’s left and the catcher moves their glove / mitt to catch the ball. In this situation, the batter is out and the ball remains live just as it would when

B. The foul ball rebounds from the bat with a “perceptible arc” shoulder high and the catcher moves upward with the glove / mitt to make the catch. In this situation, the batter is out and the ball remains live just as it would when any other fielder catches a foul fly ball.

Umpires must be alert to the fact that runners need to tag-up on a batted foul ball that is caught. This increases the opportunity for more “outs”, not only with the catcher catching the ball but the opportunity for more appeal
plays with a runner leaving a base too soon on a caught fly ball. Remember, the runner must wait until “first touch” before breaking contact with a base on a caught fly ball, fair or foul. Runners may leave when the pitch is released
in Fast Pitch and when the pitch reaches the front edge of home plate in Slow Pitch with stealing, if the ball is judged to be a foul tip.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'm guessing there not ..

You umpires have a choice to post like any other member at this site. More threads means more posts. More posts means more activity. More activity means ______ .. ;)

Hey, I do have a life, you know! ;)

Yesterday was my wife's birthday, and I'm visiting the ASA Men's Senior Slow Pitch National today.

I'll get to some of the stickies later on today.

AJ22

Super Moderator
Hey, I do have a life, you know! ;)

Yesterday was my wife's birthday, and I'm visiting the ASA Men's Senior Slow Pitch National today.

I'll get to some of the stickies later on today.

Who doesn't have a life .. not every 'idea' is worth a Sticky though.

Wait .. you can Sticky your own posts ? Or you ahve to request a Sticky.

Gabonayez

Coach
The reference of the “height of the batter’s head” as it relates to a Foul Ball and Foul Tip no longer applies.

Ok, good to know.

Umpires only need to judge whether the ball moves from the bat “sharply” and “directly” versus a ball that has a perceptible arc and / or if the catcher moves their glove / mitt to catch the ball after contact with the bat. [A] foul tip is now defined as a batted ball that goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher’s glove / mitt or hand and is legally caught by the catcher.

A. A foul ball with “perceptible” arc goes toward the catcher’s left and the catcher moves their glove / mitt to catch the ball. In this situation, the batter is out.

Ok, so here's my situation, and I'm pretty sure I understand it...but I need some clarification.

Playing ASA Men's Comp, w/ Courtesy foul.

Count is 2-1. Im Catching, My glove is at my side.

Batter hits a foul (something) that is "sharply and directly" headed at my left shoulder. I react and bring my glove up from my side and catch it before it hits anything else.

Is this:

a. A foul tip -- Strike?

b. A foul ball catch for an out?

-If the batter had 2 strikes, would a legit foul tip (where I do NOT move my glove) be a caught third strike Out (as in baseball)?

Thanks again for the clarification. This is just... one of those rules....:D

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Batter hits a foul (something) that is "sharply and directly" headed at my left shoulder. I react and bring my glove up from my side and catch it before it hits anything else.

1) Is this:

a. A foul tip -- Strike?

b. A foul ball catch for an out?

2) If the batter had 2 strikes, would a legit foul tip (where I do NOT move my glove) be a caught third strike Out (as in baseball)?

1) Foul tip and a strike (as long as what you are calling "sharply and directly" means there was no perceptible arc on the ball, as if it was travelling in a straight line).

2) Yes, this would be a strike and it would be strike three.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

I'm aware of this. I've already talked it over some with Sonic.

I just make a note in the second posting of the thread that it's a sticky, and a mod will spot it to make it so.

If it gets "out of hand," we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

You do good work AJ......but you need to keep your nose out of **** you have no business in.

Joel

Gabonayez

Coach
1) Foul tip and a strike (as long as what you are calling "sharply and directly" means there was no perceptible arc on the ball, as if it was travelling in a straight line)

So this would still only be a foul tip, even though i had to move my glove a considerable amount to catch it?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
So this would still only be a foul tip, even though i had to move my glove a considerable amount to catch it?

The catcher moving his glove can be part of the determination an umpire makes. But that plays into the assumption that a ball where the catcher had to move his glove did not come off the bat sharply and directly. And in slow pitch, it's not exactly like the catchers hold their glove up like a target or the pitch is coming in flat and straight.

The key is the path the ball took off the bat. It is either in a straight line or it is not. That's why I questioned if this ball was really "sharp and direct". Usually, if it is a catcher is not going to have time to move his glove too much because the ball gets back there pretty quick.

halter91

Iam91
Oops, I had one of these last week, batter tipped one back, catcher caught without moving his bare hand(caught it bare handed), the batter actually did help me, he thought he was out at well, he just walked off the field. I thought they changed this rule a few years ago??

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
All associations should simply change their rules and call any ball hit and caught by the catcher an out.

A slowpitch ball isn't really going to go directly into the catchers glove. There are too many "what if's" in the current rules and there is NO REASON for them. If you hit a slow pitched softball backwards and the catcher catches it, go sit down.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
All associations should simply change their rules and call any ball hit and caught by the catcher an out.

A slowpitch ball isn't really going to go directly into the catchers glove. There are too many "what if's" in the current rules and there is NO REASON for them. If you hit a slow pitched softball backwards and the catcher catches it, go sit down.

There are no "what if's". The rules are clear.