What is the best method to add a palm pad?

NYC

Swag on 100.
When you choose a palm pad on the custom builder they are sewn into the palm lining so hey have no chance of sliding, but when you're doing it yourself do you just glue it on the inside? It feels like over time as the adhesive dries up the thin piece of added leather may slide around in the palm if the only thing keeping it in place is glue. Are there any other methods that help secure it in place? Thanks.

tonys1

Might be unrelated but all-star makes padded batting glove for catchers, not sure if that helps you

NYC

Swag on 100.
Might be unrelated but all-star makes padded batting glove for catchers, not sure if that helps you
No it's for a regular fielding glove, it has nothing to do with taking the "sting out", I just like the stability it adds to the pocket.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
It will eventually move and ball up even if you open it up and glue on the inside between the palm lining and palm shell. It will last for quite some time that way though. Imo best way is gonna be to open it up and unlace a good portion of the glove, remove all the glue and take it to a leather smith or saddle shop and have them stitch a piece of leather to the inside of the palm lining. Replace the glue and relace it. There may be a few on here with those capabilities.

NYC

Swag on 100.
It will eventually move and ball up even if you open it up and glue on the inside between the palm lining and palm shell. It will last for quite some time that way though. Imo best way is gonna be to open it up and unlace a good portion of the glove, remove all the glue and take it to a leather smith or saddle shop and have them stitch a piece of leather to the inside of the palm lining. Replace the glue and relace it. There may be a few on here with those capabilities.
I had an idea to take out the index finger padding and punch a hole in it, then cut the palm pad leather and leave a thin strip of leather at the top of it and tie it through the hole in the index finger padding.

bigjbowski16

Addicted to Softballfans
I have seen the bottom lace of the web where it connects to the palm used as an anchor spot for a palm pad on a Novak.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I’ve added leather palm padding for others on several occasions (without the use of extra adhesive or stitching and haven’t had any issues separating). I use the pocket to get the general shape (I include a portion of the index and middle fingers, as well as just beyond the palm lacing to help keep it in place). I unlace the heel and palm (to check the fit inside) and make any adjustment trim (remember it’s easier to remove rather than finding out you cut too much already). Make sure enough of the palm pad goes up the index and middle fingers to keep it in place. Once it fits fine, mark the palm lacing holes (so they align up) and remove to punch the holes. Then place it back in and relace it back together. Hopefully that makes sense (it’s one method where you shouldn’t damage the glove if done correctly). I hate palm pads but I know people that want them.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Nokona used to use floating leather pads. Just make sure the leather is thick and stiff enough to stay flat. When asked for one, I build them out of 1/8" F3 felt. I cut the pad big enough to fit tight, but also add holes so I can lace it in with the palm lace. I would imagine a 1/16" sheet of felt stuck to a piece of leather would work well too. Just stay away from anything synthetic, those materials cannot hold up.

MaverickAH

Hey Rous,

Have you ever thought about using the stuff that Rawlings uses in their catchers mitts? Poron XRD. It's impact protection material that's very effective. I've been thinking about obtaining some to try on some fielding gloves.

BTW300

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey Rous,

Have you ever thought about using the stuff that Rawlings uses in their catchers mitts? Poron XRD. It's impact protection material that's very effective. I've been thinking about obtaining some to try on some fielding gloves.

I saw some new Miken gloves using the Poron XRD pads.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Hey Rous,

Poron XRD as a palm pad is the worst material. Open up any used glove with a palm pad made out of it and you’ll find a bunch of balled up disintegrated bits of foam in the palm and all up the fingers. Allstars Parashock padding is much better foam.

Last edited:

BTW300

Addicted to Softballfans
Potion XRD as a palm pad is the worst material. Open up any used glove with a palm pad made out of it and you’ll find a bunch of balled up disintegrated bits of foam in the palm and all up the fingers. Allstars Parashock padding is much better foam.

How long have they been using Poron as pads in gloves? Have you seen a Vinci gloves palm pads? How are those?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey Rous,

Eerything synthetic seems to crumble in fairly short order. I cannot recall opening up a Poron padded glove though.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Potion XRD as a palm pad is the worst material. Open up any used glove with a palm pad made out of it and you’ll find a bunch of balled up disintegrated bits of foam in the palm and all up the fingers. Allstars Parashock padding is much better foam.
Haha, just read this. Just what I would have expected.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
How long have they been using Poron as pads in gloves? Have you seen a Vinci gloves palm pads? How are those?
Usually a Vinyl/rubber layer, although some seem to be Vinyl, rubber and leather. The Vinyl always crumbles. I don't know why they don't just use leather.

MaverickAH

Somehow I doubt that you're talking about the same material. This is not regular Poron. This stuff is used extensively in motorcycle & motocross gear to reduce impact force. It's also used in many industrial gear & applications. This is not material that's going to ball up & disintegrate. It's also making its way into baseball, football & other sports especially as it applies to both helmet & chest protection technology. It's claiming a 90% impact reduction.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
The yellow Poron XRD palm pads used in a Rawlings glove (fielding, first base, and catchers mitts) initially get torn by the use of tacky palm adhesive in every new glove. As the glove breaks in, the adhesive tears the flexible foam. Once that starts, it disintegrates into bits that float all around the inside of the glove.
I have never worked on a used Rawlings with a Poron XRD palm pad that wasn’t destroyed. The bits pour out of a fielding glove and explode out when you separate the halves of a mitt. I have a very large sample size of gloves (n= ~150) that I’m basing this observation on (used primarily on Gamer series, LIberty series, and Pro Preferreds).
I am not basing this statement on Poron products in other industries, which might not use the same type of thick, ultra tacky adhesive as seen in baseball gloves.

Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
It would not surprise me that a material that works in more stable applications just cannot take the pounding and flexing that occurs inside the palm of a baseball glove. I have noted whether pads are Poron or not, but every single well used glove I have worked on with a synthetic palm pad (and some were yellow) has a bunch of palm pad pieces floating around inside the glove.

If I have installed a wool pad in your glove and you read this, please LMK how it is holding up!

JCglovesUSA

Addicted to Softballfans
I have installed several palm pads over the years....both leather, and wool.

For my own gloves, I use leather, and "palm grease" to adhere it in place.

The wool pad provides a different (soft) feel, that some of my customers prefer.

I have never heard any complaints about palm pads that I installed, so my assumption is that they have stayed in-place.

JC

MaverickAH

It would not surprise me that a material that works in more stable applications just cannot take the pounding and flexing that occurs inside the palm of a baseball glove. I have noted whether pads are Poron or not, but every single well used glove I have worked on with a synthetic palm pad (and some were yellow) has a bunch of palm pad pieces floating around inside the glove.

If I have installed a wool pad in your glove and you read this, please LMK how it is holding up!

The Glovesmith is perfectly fine! Truth be told, I'm not really using it. It serves as the glove I carry in my bag when officiating. If somebody needs a glove, it gets used. If I get to a game early or have a forfeit or free time & want to throw, it gets used. I do know that the palm pad that you replaced in it was a synthetic material (orange). It wasn't broken up. It was just inadequately thin, offering little to no support. Most of the gloves I own that have palm pads that are sown in, not glued.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The Glovesmith is perfectly fine! Truth be told, I'm not really using it. It serves as the glove I carry in my bag when officiating. If somebody needs a glove, it gets used. If I get to a game early or have a forfeit or free time & want to throw, it gets used. I do know that the palm pad that you replaced in it was a synthetic material (orange). It wasn't broken up. It was just inadequately thin, offering little to no support. Most of the gloves I own that have palm pads that are sown in, not glued.
Ah, right! I remember. It wasn't in pieces, but the orange pad had torn in places along the seam where it was attached.