Other What is the call? Triple play or not?

jlhawkins9

Addicted to Softballfans
ISA

Bases loaded no outs...

Ground ball hit to 3rd

3rd baseman tags 3rd gets the out
Throws home and gets that runner in a run down
After 3rd throw runner is tagged out near home plate.

Then threw ball back to 3rd....

The correct runner was on 3rd base (guy from first originally) but SS tagged the force guy at 3rd and not the runner trying to advance cause the force guy was in the way and still on field of play

Both the force out guy and runner from first to 3rd basically were all near 3rd base in field of play ( they also made contact with each other if that means anything)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
ISA

Bases loaded no outs...

Ground ball hit to 3rd

3rd baseman tags 3rd gets the out
Throws home and gets that runner in a run down
After 3rd throw runner is tagged out near home plate.

Then threw ball back to 3rd....

The correct runner was on 3rd base (guy from first originally) but SS tagged the force guy at 3rd and not the runner trying to advance cause the force guy was in the way and still on field of play

Both the force out guy and runner from first to 3rd basically were all near 3rd base in field of play ( they also made contact with each other if that means anything)

Okay, just so we're hablaing the same language...

R1 started on 3rd, R2 started on 2nd, R3 started on 1st (the numbers are in the order in which they batted).

R2 gets forced out at 3rd, R1 gets thrown out in a rundown at home plate. R3 rounded 2nd and is already standing on 3rd when the defense attempts to tag R2, who was already retired. R2 did bump into R3, but he did not physically assist him in any way. Sound about right?

There is a possibility that interference could be called. However, in order to have interference, there has to be a play available to the defense, and it would be under these circumstances:

1) If the defense could have tagged R3 out, but R2 blocked them from getting the out, I would have interference.

2) If, in the umpire's judgment, R2 was pretending to be an active runner, and the batter-runner was already attempting to advance to 2nd, AND the defense had a decent chance at getting the out had R2 not drawn a throw, I would have interference.

However, if R3 is already standing on 3rd base AND if the batter-runner had already reached 1st base or 2nd base and stopped, then I would not have interference.

Does that help, or have I muddied the waters further for you?

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
Where was R2 on the field? How much time elapsed between him being put out and the attempt on R3?

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
I would call interference.

If R2 was forced out by F5 on a ground ball (the first out), he likely wouldn't have been more than 4-5 steps from 2B when he was put out ... why did he contintue to 3B and establish position on the base? It may not have been intentional (dubious) but he still had no business ever being anywhere near 3B. Running through the play in my head I'm guessing the attempted play on R1 at 3B is somewhere in the vicinity of 10 sec. after R2 is put out and about 45 ft. in front of him ... no excuse for being in the middle of the play.

jlhawkins9

Addicted to Softballfans
YOu mean if R2 wasn't in the way, R3 would have been tagged out(started on 1st). Didn't you say though that R3 was already on 3rd?

The way the gentleman broke it down up top was
R1 started on 3rd
R3 started on first

The ball was a sharp one hopper to 3rd. Runner on 2nd probably hadn't went 2-3 ft by the time 3rd tagged the bag.

So a little more info on the game

Bottom 7th we are up by 1 winner goes to championship to play for $750.
Umps call only 2 outs on play runners now at 2nd and 3rd.
Next guy hits a base hit to win the game.

thomas_z71

Addicted to Softballfans
The way the gentleman broke it down up top was
R1 started on 3rd
R3 started on first

The ball was a sharp one hopper to 3rd. Runner on 2nd probably hadn't went 2-3 ft by the time 3rd tagged the bag.

So a little more info on the game

Bottom 7th we are up by 1 winner goes to championship to play for $750.
Umps call only 2 outs on play runners now at 2nd and 3rd.
Next guy hits a base hit to win the game.

Brosef, you said if R2 wasn't in the way, R1 wudl have been tagged out...you already said R1 got tagged out in the rundown at home right? so R3 is the only runner left that's not out..and you said he was already on 3rd..your story has holes.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
so R3 is the only runner left that's not out..and you said he was already on 3rd..your story has holes.

"The correct runner was on 3rd base (guy from first originally) but SS tagged the force guy at 3rd and not the runner trying to advance cause the force guy was in the way and still on field of play"

It sounds to me like he was on 3B because F6 couldn't make the tag since the first runner put out continued running the bases and put himself right in the middle of the play.

Keep in mind also that R1 was in a rundown between 3B and HP. So R2 after being forced out ran 45+ feet right into the middle of defensive players attempting to make a play. It is very possible that he could have interferred twice.

thomas_z71

Addicted to Softballfans
If the 2b runner was in the way in trying to tag the 1b runner trying to advance, that's automatic interference...there's no way an ump would miss that call. I imagine the 1b runner who advanced to 3b was probably either already there, or close enough to where the interference didn't matter. Any hint of a possible play though and I would expect interference to be called everytime.

thomas_z71

Addicted to Softballfans
the 2b runner prob never even thought of a runner from 1b coming behind him...he was probably trotting back to dugout and watched the play unfold at home. I would probabyl do that to. You're not going to jsut get put out and instantly run 20 feet out teh way.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I think the bottom line is that this is a HTBT (Had To Be There) play. If a retired runner interferes with the defense's ability to get an out, then the runner closest to home would be out.

However, there MUST be a play available to the defense at the time of the act of interference. If all runners are already standing on their bases, or if there's absolutely no chance the defense could have reasonably obtained an out, then we have nothing.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Please clarify

You said in the original post that the runner from 1st was already on 3rd base when a play was attempted on him. If that is the case then you cannot have interference.

sjury

The Old Man
You said in the original post that the runner from 1st was already on 3rd base when a play was attempted on him. If that is the case then you cannot have interference.

Exactly, they are on the base. There cannot be interference.

According to Rule D, section O, sub-section -O, paragraph V, sentence E, letter R:

It's a DO-OVER.

I couldn't find that Rule. But I found Example B part S.