Any what is the call?

USSSA

The Veteran
bases loaded, no outs, batter gets base hit to the outfield, player from the 3rd base dugout, which is the batting team, comes out and knocks over umpire, umpire doesnt see what happens, what is the call

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Interference. DBO would be my call. No runners advance. Just opinion, not based on rules knowledge.

///m3

Manager
I don't understand how he got out of the dugout and knocked the umpire over all while the ball is in the air.

hlsiii

Addicted to Softballfans
This is a confusing thread?

Agreed, how did the person come out of the dugout and knock the umpire over?

USSSA

The Veteran
anything goes at softball country

He came out of dugout to get the bat like a batboy, should have said that

this is the call by the ump

the runner coming home from 3rd was called out, batter credited with base hit, game continued with same situation as when it started, only with one out and no run scored, and both teams where happy with the call, offensive interference

players coming out of dugout have to make sure play is cleared for them to get the bat

Last edited:

smokeum99ta

Addicted to Softballfans
I always thought the on deck batter was susposed to get the bat out of the way to prevent contact with the ball or players. Cause if the bat causes any interferance with the play it could called a dead ball, right?

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
I always thought the on deck batter was susposed to get the bat out of the way to prevent contact with the ball or players. Cause if the bat causes any interferance with the play it could called a dead ball, right?

The bat is in play. The on-deck hitter would go to get the bat so runner(s) coming home don't trip on it (or to make sure it goes back in the bag before the ump can check it.) ;)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

Actually, it's entirely possible for the on-deck batter to CAUSE interference by running up to get the bat.

If the bat's just laying there and the throw hits it or a fielder stumbles on it, it's not interference. The bat that was just used is legally on the field.

The bat(s) that the on-deck batter has in the circle, however, do not have such an exemption, and could prompt an interference call if a thrown ball hits them.