Any What should the umpire have done?

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
A play from the Buckeye Classic last week in Barberton, Ohio. 70+ division, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Runners on 1B and 2B. No outs. Batter hits a pop fly behind 1B, but catchable. Umpire calls Infield Fly. First baseman fails to catch the ball, but the ball remains a fair ball.

Runner from 1B attempts to advance to 2B. First baseman throws to 2B and umpire calls the runner out on the force. There was no tag, a fact which neither team nor the umpire disputes in the ensuing discussion.

We finally convince the ump that the infield fly removed the force. He's about to put the retired runner back on 2B. The other team than argues that he can't reverse himself and "unring the bell." Ump finally agrees with them and lets the call stand.

The play did not influence the outcome of the game as we got beaten by 14 runs, but is it true that the blue cannot reverse himself on this call?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Sure, an umpire can reverse his call. Nothing says he can't. It's not something you want to do too often. First off, if you're reversing yourself it means you screwed up the first time. Secondly, do this enough and your credibility will be reduced to about zero.

What the rules do say is if an umpire reverses his call he is responsible for placing runners or enforcing outs as he sees fit, with the goal being to best replicate the outcome you would have had if the right call had been made in the first place.

It sounds like this runner legally and legitimately reached second base safely. If that's the case...then put him on second base.

ureout

The Veteran
sometimes you blow a call in the heat of the moment....you react before the brain kicks in....if the team appeals and you realize your mistake you have the power to correct it.....put the runner back at 2nd

whogotz

dilligaf?
just my 2 cents - umpires are subject to human error - an umpire willing to admit that he made the wrong rule call and wants to get it right so he reverses - gets my respect.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
One thing an umpire cannot do, is reverse the call of another umpire. Umpires can, and do, change their own calls as needed...which is why all requests need to go through the umpire who made the original call.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
But here is the issue... did the out call on the force make the fielder not tag the runner or was it a bang bang play? If the runner was out a 2nd by a good ways I say he would still be out. If it was a banger I would put him back on 2nd.

Joker

But here is the issue... did the out call on the force make the fielder not tag the runner or was it a bang bang play? If the runner was out a 2nd by a good ways I say he would still be out. If it was a banger I would put him back on 2nd.

no .