Any What would you have done????

militaryballer

Addicted to Softballfans
I am just amazed that this didn't escalate.....

[ame="https://youtu.be/YO5l4J6TRkE"]https://youtu.be/YO5l4J6TRkE[/ame]

MaverickAH

Immediate ejection!

First of all, the umps were definitely running a 3 man system. On the first play, with HP coming up the 3B line, the 1B ump should've been coming down to cover home. He might've not been able to see the elbow from his angle. On the second play, HP definitely stays home & has everything right in front of him. How he doesn't make the ejection is beyond me.....

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
On both plays the HP umpire was looking right at it. You can see just part of his head in the corner of the video looking right at the play.

The first play I could see maybe a warning because i thought it did look like maybe she was just bracing for the impact instead of initiating it. After the second one, no excuses run the girl and the coach deserves a stern word too. I don't know if the coach got in the umpires face on that one but she should have.

Joker

On both plays the HP umpire was looking right at it. You can see just part of his head in the corner of the video looking right at the play.

The first play I could see maybe a warning because i thought it did look like maybe she was just bracing for the impact instead of initiating it. After the second one, no excuses run the girl and the coach deserves a stern word too. I don't know if the coach got in the umpires face on that one but she should have.

on the first play you can clearly see the HP ump running up the line not looking at the catcher. he looks back after he hears the contact

Joker

as the ump, immediate ejection

as the opposing coach/pitcher, she gets one in her ribcage next AB

sjury

The Old Man
No warning from me, instant ejection, and when the manager steps out of the dugout to argue, he/she would be gone as well, and so on and so on until the whole team is gone. That was blatant contact by the catcher, she even lowered her shoulder a little for good measure. How the umpire let that happen I have no idea.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
on the first play you can clearly see the HP ump running up the line not looking at the catcher. he looks back after he hears the contact
Look at the 0:18 mark. At the moment of impact he is clearly looking right at the play. He is mostly cut out of the frame, but you can see enough of his head to see where he is looking. View it full screen and pause at 0:18.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Ejection for this play, and ejection on #2 for the take-out slide she committed earlier in the game (seen in video below).

This game was out of control.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIMXNQL37TQ[/ame]

Joker

Look at the 0:18 mark. At the moment of impact he is clearly looking right at the play. He is mostly cut out of the frame, but you can see enough of his head to see where he is looking. View it full screen and pause at 0:18.

you are wrong

HVj3wV2.png

:18 he's not even in frame

QckYOmz.png

Last edited:

MaverickAH

You are wrong. He clearly does not look back until well after contact.

Now that I've studied the video a little closer, I see that the runner started from 3B & you can see the 3B ump behind her. There's really no reason for the HP ump to come up the line (unless he needed to get a better view on the ball). The plate should've definitely remained his responsibility & he should've put himself in a position to view both the ball & the plate. Absolutely no reason for him not to be viewing the touch of home plate! Missing that incident is on him.

Took a 3rd & 4th look at the video. It's tough to make a full determination with a chopped up video & the fast camera panning but I think that I have to retract the above paragraph. I think that I do detect the 3B ump start to turn to come into the field as the camera moves away. This would mean that the umpires were rotating & the HP ump should've been coming up the line. This would mean that the 1B ump should've been coming down to cover any play at the plate & would've had a very bad angle on the contact at home.

Last edited:

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
you are wrong

HVj3wV2.png

:18 he's not even in frame

QckYOmz.png
You are too early, go forward half a second, right as the contact happens (the counter still says 0:18). In the top right corner you will see the left side of the umpires face denoting the direction of his vision is towards the play. he is mostly cut out of the frame but he is there.

I can't upload pics at work or I would do so, showing what I have stated above to be correct.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Regardless, the only person who knows what, if anything, the Plate Umpire saw was the Plate Umpire. If I'm not pretty damn certain of what I saw, then I'm not ejecting a player for it. I give the players the benefit of the doubt that they're not that stupid to commit something as flagrant as this.

And I certainly have my opinions regarding other aspects and plays in this game, but I don't want to hang out to dry umpires whom I don't know. It's not my place.

MaverickAH

You are correct sir & that's why I revised my last post.

It's very tough to assess the video on the first play since you can't slow it down but based on the umpire's positions at the start of the play & their movements after contact, I would say that there was a single runner on 3B at the start of the play. I don't pick up the 1B ump but it's safe to say that with the 3B ump turning in to see the touch at 1B & cover any play at 2B & the HP ump coming up the line, he should've been coming in to cover home. I highly doubt that he would've been close enough or had an angle to definitively see the contact at home.

The second play should've been a no brainer.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
I count 4 umpires.

At 0:14 as the ball is outbound, you can see the 2B, SS, R2 and a shadowy figure behind second base. Could be bigfoot, but I'm going to guess its the 2B Umpire.

I am assuming the 3B umpire went out to view the catch and that is why the HP umpire is moving up the line. Since the video doesn't follow the throw in you lose the 3B positioning

jfsully

Addicted to Softballfans
The other good thing is the "good guys" seem to have won .... this was horrendous behavior by the blue team

MaverickAH

I count 4 umpires.

At 0:14 as the ball is outbound, you can see the 2B, SS, R2 and a shadowy figure behind second base. Could be bigfoot, but I'm going to guess its the 2B Umpire.

I am assuming the 3B umpire went out to view the catch and that is why the HP umpire is moving up the line. Since the video doesn't follow the throw in you lose the 3B positioning

Even in a softball 4-man, that is not a ball that requires the 3B ump to go out. The 2B ump is the rabbit from straightaway left to straightaway right which would require the 3B ump to come into the diamond (to cover 1B & 2B), the HP ump to come up to cover 3B & the 1B ump to come down to cover the plate. Once the 2B ump goes out, the remaining umps revert to a 3-man rotation.

Only baseball requires the 3B ump to go out on a ball the straightaway left.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
If that's my daughter playing catcher, I'm pulling her from the game and we're going home. I don't care what game this is. Get pissed all you want, hit the fence, smack your bat on the ground. But that's just dirty and uncalled for.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
or not ... follow the red arrow

picture.php

Now draw another line from the umpire's eyeballs to the catcher's elbow.

Ummm...wait...you can't see the catcher's elbow! Entirely possible that the runner's body blocked the view of this subtle little jab.

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
Now draw another line from the umpire's eyeballs to the catcher's elbow.

Ummm...wait...you can't see the catcher's elbow! Entirely possible that the runner's body blocked the view of this subtle little jab.
Very true. I only said he was looking at the play, I never said he could see everything related to it.