Any What would you have done????

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
#1 - Don't argue with Joker. The guy could argue a rape case from the from the attacker's POV and the Victim's POV with equivalent tenacity.
#2 - A person demonstrating that level of poor sportsmanship should be ejected immediately. I wouldn't be shocked if she would have been removed from a team if she were an underclassman. If I was a principal at her school and saw this - I would remove her from athletics.

Joker

#1 - Don't argue with Joker. The guy could argue a rape case from the from the attacker's POV and the Victim's POV with equivalent tenacity.
#2 - A person demonstrating that level of poor sportsmanship should be ejected immediately. I wouldn't be shocked if she would have been removed from a team if she were an underclassman. If I was a principal at her school and saw this - I would remove her from athletics.

grow up

Joecurrier

**AVARICE**
Jokers always right even when he is wrong just like my wife, (I think it has something to do with Estrogen levels).

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
Anything like this happens with my 2 oldest daughters playing and I'm 3b coach runner number 2 will flatten the catcher. That girl deserves to have her name plastered all over the Internet so she had no chance of playing college ball

sjury

The Old Man
Anything like this happens with my 2 oldest daughters playing and I'm 3b coach runner number 2 will flatten the catcher. That girl deserves to have her name plastered all over the Internet so she had no chance of playing college ball

Then you are bigger ass hat then the catcher, since you would coach a girl to do it, you're an idiot. Besides, If the plate umpire didn't see the elbow, he can't call it, but he sure as hell can call your runner out and toss her. It's always the retaliation that gets caught, look at football.

bruiser

Co-ed Rec league bat boy
You're right that would be dirty and I probably wouldn't do it but it would definitely be on my mind. Just my initial reaction to protect/take up for my girls. The 2 runners showed a lot of restraint, had it been a mens/boys game there probably would have been a huge fight.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
This clip has been on every softball discussion board I frequent. This morning I noticed that it's on CNN's website!

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
If I was a principal at her school and saw this - I would remove her from athletics.

You'd be a terrible principal, since athletics has nothing to do with you. And your coaches would really appreciate your meddling.

bringing up post count = giving up

I thought that was "comparing poster to Nazis." Maybe the same ballpark. :)

You're right that would be dirty and I probably wouldn't do it but it would definitely be on my mind. Just my initial reaction to protect/take up for my girls. The 2 runners showed a lot of restraint, had it been a mens/boys game there probably would have been a huge fight.

This reminds me of coaching little league, when the opposing coach had his son slide through our SS hurting him deliberately. I went directly to their bench and punched the coach in his face. Coaches brawl ensues, everyone ejected, we take our kids off the field and explain to them the difference between dirty play and sportsmanship. By the way, they were beating us by roughly 20 runs when that happened. If I saw that guy in the street today I think I'd punch him again.

TL;DR - don't coach your kids to be jerks. If one of those girls attacked that catcher, so be it. She's getting ejected mind you... but we get it. But if YOU tell her to attack the catcher, bad times for all. Don't be that guy.

Last edited:

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

Who is worse the kid acting badly or the adult who is instructing their kids to act in the same bad manner. This girl should have been tossed everyone who has seen the video agrees, no need to sink to her level. How much of an ******* are you going to feel if you break the catchers wrist or if you kid separates a shoulder trying to get even.

Last edited:

sjury

The Old Man
I've coached baseball, softball, and soccer. I haven't found many jerk coaches in the ball sports, in general, they all play fair, and don't teach their kid so play dirty, and when they see a dirty play by one of their own, police it pretty good with a discussion in the dugout. If my players tried dirty crap, I give them one warning, and talk to their parents, and explain that Johnny or Susie will be riding pine the next time I see that garbage, and when these parents hate paying $800 to $1000 a year for their kid to sit the bench.

Soccer on the other hand..... I can't tell you how many times, i got into it with other coaches, referees, and/or parents over their little princesses. The boys are far better at playing hard but clean in soccer.

These are only my experiences, you may have different opinions.

Give bruiser a break, he was speaking out of haste and admitted it.... Lol

FatBoy28

SBF is a cruel Mistress
You'd be a terrible principal, since athletics has nothing to do with you. And your coaches would really appreciate your meddling.
The Principal is as responsible for athletics as they are for academics. A HS Coach is an employee of the school and usually a teacher also and so their supervisor is ... the principal.

Speaking of coaches, I put this on the coach. Adding in the take out slide mentioned in post#10 these kind of shenanigans appear to be at least condoned, if not encouraged.

sjury

The Old Man
The Principal is as responsible for athletics as they are for academics. A HS Coach is an employee of the school and usually a teacher also and so their supervisor is ... the principal.

Speaking of coaches, I put this on the coach. Adding in the take out slide mentioned in post#10 these kind of shenanigans appear to be at least condoned, if not encouraged.

The Principle is the boss. At our High School, like most, I assume, we have an athletic director that is in charge of all the sports, and coaches. The AD is a Vice Principle, and usually he and the principle communicate and make decisions together on difficult situations. He approves fundraisers, reviews students grades and other requirements for eligibility, is the liaison for the school and the WIAA, as well as, the school and the coaching staffs, clears students after concussion protocol, and handles disciplinary actions for coaches and players. You cannot always count on the coach's judgment to handle situations, he wants to win. That's why you need the AD to handle that stuff. If someone turned this video into the AD, their would be some suspensions and maybe a coaching change if this is how the coach is training their players.

matt6195

Manager

I have no problem with a clean take out slide. Sliding at the bag with your feet. I mean if your dumb enough to come across the middle of the bag sorry. A lot of times a simple slide can distract the SS long enough. However he slide why I wouldn't say its bad its not clean and cheap.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
May I ask why for the slide?

The take-out slide was a sign of things to come. The runner should've either been ejected or restricted to the bench (an NFHS thing), but no further call was made. It only went downhill from there.

Nip that **** in the bud before it gets out of hand. Get it done, coach, or you'll be joining your girl in the parking lot.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
Certainly would have tossed the catcher and anyone trying to argue the point. There is no need of that in ball.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
The take-out slide was a sign of things to come. The runner should've either been ejected or restricted to the bench (an NFHS thing), but no further call was made. It only went downhill from there.

Nip that **** in the bud before it gets out of hand. Get it done, coach, or you'll be joining your girl in the parking lot.

But what about the slide was worthy of ejection or restriction? It appeared to be fairly straight into the plate and the foot wasn't above the knee. Maybe that is just the baseball rule but even if she didn't slide straight into the base, that isn't grounds for an ejection (in my opinion) under malicious contact.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
But what about the slide was worthy of ejection or restriction? It appeared to be fairly straight into the plate and the foot wasn't above the knee. Maybe that is just the baseball rule but even if she didn't slide straight into the base, that isn't grounds for an ejection (in my opinion) under malicious contact.

Except she didn't slide straight into home plate.

18641064050_c178f8f744_b.jpg

It's clear she was going after the catcher's legs in an attempt to break-up any potential double-play.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
NFHS rules require that the sliding runner be within reach of the base (this girl is), but not that the slide be directly at the base.

As much as I hate to see any rough stuff, or see anyone get hurt, it looks to me like the runner has met all of the requirements of a legal slide. And contacting a fielder while executing a legal slide isn't a rule violation.

sjury

The Old Man
Before Bret.... She slid at the catchers legs, not the base, in a clear attempt to break up the play. That's what I saw as well. She was out on a force and is still three feet inside the base with her slide, Bye Felicia.

Last edited:

brees6221

Addicted to Softballfans
I read an article that quoted her superintendent as saying that these were two isolated incidents and that the school system supports her because she's a great girl and this was so out of character for her...are you kidding me?!

And enough back and forth, this is clearly the best angle:
picture.php

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
NFHS rules require that the sliding runner be within reach of the base (this girl is), but not that the slide be directly at the base.

As much as I hate to see any rough stuff, or see anyone get hurt, it looks to me like the runner has met all of the requirements of a legal slide. And contacting a fielder while executing a legal slide isn't a rule violation.

Bret, I don't call NFHS, and I may be confusing PONY rules (which are often based very heavily on NFHS rules) in with the mix. I know that in PONY, this would meet the definition of an illegal slide on a number of different levels.

I don't have access to the NFHS rules. Could you or someone please look to see if they similarly define an illegal slide?

And even still, ASA does not define a legal vs. illegal slide. However, in ASA, I'd definitely have an ejection. She's clearly going for the catcher's legs, and that's unsportsmanlike conduct all day long.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I read an article that quoted her superintendent as saying that these were two isolated incidents and that the school system supports her because she's a great girl and this was so out of character for her...are you kidding me?!

And enough back and forth, this is clearly the best angle:
picture.php

That is an excellent angle far better than any of the dirty play stuff.

Seriously before we deem this girl a horrible human because she did immature and inappropriate things on the field lets remember she is just a kid. High school kids aren't always good at handling frustration (I certainly did some dumbass things as a young baseball player), this girl made some seriously bad choices but she certainly wouldn't be the first decent kid to make bad decisions.

Bret, I don't call NFHS, and I may be confusing PONY rules (which are often based very heavily on NFHS rules) in with the mix. I know that in PONY, this would meet the definition of an illegal slide on a number of different levels.

I don't have access to the NFHS rules. Could you or someone please look to see if they similarly define an illegal slide?

And even still, ASA does not define a legal vs. illegal slide. However, in ASA, I'd definitely have an ejection. She's clearly going for the catcher's legs, and that's unsportsmanlike conduct all day long.

I don't know how close this is to baseball but in baseball this what players are taught to do. As a catcher with the bases loaded and less than one out, I would expect that player coming down the line to break up the double play, just as I would have done. Again baseball vs softball I don't know but baseball that is considered clean.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
That is an excellent angle far better than any of the dirty play stuff.

Seriously before we deem this girl a horrible human because she did immature and inappropriate things on the field lets remember she is just a kid. High school kids aren't always good at handling frustration (I certainly did some dumbass things as a young baseball player), this girl made some seriously bad choices but she certainly wouldn't be the first decent kid to make bad decisions.

I don't know how close this is to baseball but in baseball this what players are taught to do. As a catcher with the bases loaded and less than one out, I would expect that player coming down the line to break up the double play, just as I would have done. Again baseball vs softball I don't know but baseball that is considered clean.

The NFHS baseball rule requires the runner to slide directly into the base and the fielder is protected on either side and behind the base. I'll look up the softball one here real quick