What year did composite "hot out of the wrapper" bats start being sold?

tomdonohue1

Vandelay Industries
I'm struggling to think back of when composite bats that didn't require a break-in period started being sold. Can anyone help me with that?

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I've never had a bat the wasn't stiff out of the wrapper and needed some bp to open up. I'm not the batwhore I once was but the last 3 bats I've bought in the last 3 years all need hits to reach maximum hotness.

UncleMosk

Agree, some seem to have more pop from day one than others but ultimately the more hits the better they get for the most part except the Easton Ghost Line bats! Swing one to swing 1k its the same.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
The first one I remember was the 2016 Miken Freak 12. Was using a 2014 Easton L5 to that point. What a difference...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Some composite bats (Worth/Miken especially) have always been hot out of the wrapper. Even before 2016 you could get stuff like DC41s, Psychos, Titans, etc that would spit fire right away.

After 2017 it seemed like every bat from every company started out hot... and durability went way downhill.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Agree, some seem to have more pop from day one than others but ultimately the more hits the better they get for the most part except the Easton Ghost Line bats! Swing one to swing 1k its the same.

The OG Ghost was one of the worst ASA bats I've ever tried. No pop, and it had a horrible sound and feel. The bat felt like it was breaking on every swing.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The first one I remember was the 2016 Miken Freak 12. Was using a 2014 Easton L5 to that point. What a difference...

IMO, that OG Freak 12 was the best bat Miken ever produced. I remember swinging one of those years ago. Perfect weighting, barrel length, sweet spot. Great, great performer. It was fairly durable, too.

ShortYellowBus

The OG Ghost was one of the worst ASA bats I've ever tried. No pop, and it had a horrible sound and feel. The bat felt like it was breaking on every swing.
Yes and no. It has a 750psi threshold, which means it takes 550psi less than a regular non linear bat to compress one inch. If compared to an older linear bat, that’s about half the amount of force to bend the barrel back. The bat is meant to help slow swing speeds.

With your excessive force, you’re pushing the barrel into the restrictor, the restrictor is being pushed into the barrel on the other side, and the barrel is absorbing the entire force of your swing, thus eliminating the trampoline effect.

Yes, you’re right; the bat is about to break. I’ve broken many Monsta’s that way, where the barrel completely shatters on both sides.

To all others: not everyone has the same swing, so find a bat that best suits your swing.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I remember the 2013 Easton line was touted that you could game it from swing 1.

They weren't too far off.

IDK. Any Eastons before about 2018 were dead AF out of the wrapper, and stayed that way for a couple thousand swings.

Most of the Eastons around 2013 would be absolute logs out the wrapper, show signs of life after 1500 swings, go absolutely red hot NUCLEAR for about 150 more swings, then break. You needed to use hard balls in cold weather to break those bats in.

TheKid33

Star Player
Some composite bats (Worth/Miken especially) have always been hot out of the wrapper. Even before 2016 you could get stuff like DC41s, Psychos, Titans, etc that would spit fire right away.

After 2017 it seemed like every bat from every company started out hot... and durability went way downhill.

100% the worth bats I bought in 2013-14 were insane out of the wrapper. Mayhem, Legit, Sick Resmondo. I would take first swing with those bats during a game.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I think the question should be: "when did 'hot out of the wrapper' marketing begin?"

Right about the time Easton started making FireFlexes. Instant gratification.

FWIW, I don't BP new bats at all anymore. Out of the wrapper straight into games. Every 240 I've tried has been good enough to game right away.

blakcherry329

The Ghosts, along with the Autism and Blue-line were mainstays in my Clincher leagues(with a smattering of Miken Primos mixed in) Definitely made for slower swings.
Anything that opens up in under 100 swings is "hot out the wrapper", imo. back in the day, it was 2-300 swings and more for some bats. My first composite, 2003 Ultra II, didn't change sounds until at least 150 swings with Rocks as balls. lol Even those White Worth Toxics took forever to break in.

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
IDK. Any Eastons before about 2018 were dead AF out of the wrapper, and stayed that way for a couple thousand swings.

Most of the Eastons around 2013 would be absolute logs out the wrapper, show signs of life after 1500 swings, go absolutely red hot NUCLEAR for about 150 more swings, then break. You needed to use hard balls in cold weather to break those bats in.

We took plenty of 100w an 100h's out of the wrapper and couldn't keep them in the park. And I KNOW your swing is much better than mine.

Maybe they were released in 2012, now that I think about it. It was the model #SP12SY100W

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
We took plenty of 100w an 100h's out of the wrapper and couldn't keep them in the park. And I KNOW your swing is much better than mine.

Maybe they were released in 2012, now that I think about it. It was the model #SP12SY100W
^^^ true.. forgot about these as well as the st98's, but I don't think they were advertised as hot outa wrap.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I don't think anything is truly "hot" out of the wrapper. Every bat needs a break in to me. Yes. Bats 100% were "game usable" out of the wrapper, but weren't to their true potential.
Its like this . . . would you rather have a 500 cut Easton LV1, or a NiW Freak12 to use for a HR derby ?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

You know, I never swung that year Wegman or Helmer.

I mean, I agree with you that not ALL Eastons were dead clunkers out of the wrapper. Some were definitely better than others. Honestly, their worst stuff was pre-220 stamp. Some of those bats were absolute logs. SCN12BH, and SCN10BH. Good lord those were bad.

I still have the OG USSSA 220 Salvo (silver/yellow). That bat started a little rough, but has become a monster. Extremely durable, and back in 2013 I paid $69.99 shipped for it on closeout. The bat had 0 popularity.

Most of my Eastons are 2014-17.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I don't think anything is truly "hot" out of the wrapper. Every bat needs a break in to me. Yes. Bats 100% were "game usable" out of the wrapper, but weren't to their true potential.
Its like this . . . would you rather have a 500 cut Easton LV1, or a NiW Freak12 to use for a HR derby ?

F12 out of the wrapper all day long. I mean, there's nothing WRONG with a 500 cut LV1, but the F12 at any point is going to be hotter and easier to swing overall.

I bought a DC41 in 2016 that was hotter out of the wrapper than any bat I've owned before or since. I still have that bat today, and it tests right at 220. It's the kind of bat you can bring out in the hottest, muggiest conditions against the worst balls imaginable and still hit bombs fairly easily.

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
You know, I never swung that year Wegman or Helmer.

I mean, I agree with you that not ALL Eastons were dead clunkers out of the wrapper. Some were definitely better than others. Honestly, their worst stuff was pre-220 stamp. Some of those bats were absolute logs. SCN12BH, and SCN10BH. Good lord those were bad.

I still have the OG USSSA 220 Salvo (silver/yellow). That bat started a little rough, but has become a monster. Extremely durable, and back in 2013 I paid $69.99 shipped for it on closeout. The bat had 0 popularity.

Most of my Eastons are 2014-17.
08 and 09 Helmers were trash. Then they got stupid for 200 swings with a 1" sweet spot, then they'd snap. But if you got one, it'd go a long ways.

That L5 they made too was good at 70 bucks just like that gray and orange Salvo.

See if you can find a 100w. Those with an 11 date code were very very good. Think CNT+ with a 12 inch barrel.

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
I have a 100SV with like 1k hits, and most are with super blue dots off a tee. Still is nowhere near game ready compared to my Fab4. I wish I had a compression tester to see what the SV100 is at.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are we talking every bat? Because I'm going 240 bats for that. The sb34 was hot out of the wrapper, till it was recertified in the form of the sb103. The booger was pretty hot out of the wrapper. Probably the only bat I ever hit one out with in the first few swings.

I'd rather say what was the first hot out of the wrapper for each brand. That would be interesting.
Easton fire flex
Anarchy 240s
Etc

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Are we talking every bat? Because I'm going 240 bats for that. The sb34 was hot out of the wrapper, till it was recertified in the form of the sb103. The booger was pretty hot out of the wrapper. Probably the only bat I ever hit one out with in the first few swings.

I'd rather say what was the first hot out of the wrapper for each brand. That would be interesting.
Easton fire flex
Anarchy 240s
Etc
I've had 5 or 6 boogers. 2 OGs and the rest were re-issue. Sure, they were damn good out of the wrapper, but put 500 swings on one and then we can discuss hot.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I have a 100SV with like 1k hits, and most are with super blue dots off a tee. Still is nowhere near game ready compared to my Fab4. I wish I had a compression tester to see what the SV100 is at.

My SV100 tests at about 250 now. It has been used off and on for 10 years, on all manners of balls and weather. One of the most durable bats I've ever seen.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

Easton fire flex
Anarchy 240s
Etc

I've used 4 Anarchy 240s this year. 0 BP swings on any of them. Right out of the wrapper and into games. They all tested at 270 or less right away. These are NOT cold weather bats. Good performers instantly.

Anarchy's ASA/USA bats are freaking insane as well. I'd put them with any other brand on the market, and they're WAY cheaper than most, especially if you buy during the offseason when Anarchies are $99.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used 4 Anarchy 240s this year. 0 BP swings on any of them. Right out of the wrapper and into games. They all tested at 270 or less right away. These are NOT cold weather bats. Good performers instantly.

Anarchy's ASA/USA bats are freaking insane as well. I'd put them with any other brand on the market, and they're WAY cheaper than most, especially if you buy during the offseason when Anarchies are $99.
Exactly, and their 220s were coming out of the wrapper at 325. They were my first example of 240s aren't necessarily less hot.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I remember the 2013 Easton line was touted that you could game it from swing 1.

They weren't too far off.

The original L and B series? Those things weren't near as bad as the 2014 L/B bats, but they still took hundreds of swings to reach their potential.

I think the question should be: "when did 'hot out of the wrapper' marketing begin?"

Combat always marketed their bats as "hot out of the wrapper" but I think the green Avarice was the first one that actually was. Those things were just stupid from swing one and people crapped all over them for breaking in under 800 swings. Now you have Eastons failing compression in the wrapper and everyone is fine with it. :rolleyes:

My SV100 tests at about 250 now. It has been used off and on for 10 years, on all manners of balls and weather. One of the most durable bats I've ever seen.

I'd love to know what my 30oz SV100 tests at. Bought it used in a parking lot for $20 and it's probably my favourite bat.
I remember a Canadian site had a bunch of 28oz on clearance for $99 CDN, I wish I'd known enough to pick up 2 or 3.