what's the best for a pulled quad

tsmith7461

Addicted to Softballfans
I pulled my quad running bases last weekend. Felt a pop in the upper center of it. Wondering what people have found for the quickest way the heel it up is and if taking any supplements will help? It's been a week now and where it feels like it pulled is still tender if I push down in that area. No visible bruises though. Can walk okay, but any exertion feels like someone is stabbing with a knife in that area. Any help would be appreciated...

siding88

PROFESSIONAL BOOB WATCHER
I pulled my quad running bases last weekend. Felt a pop in the upper center of it. Wondering what people have found for the quickest way the heel it up is and if taking any supplements will help? It's been a week now and where it feels like it pulled is still tender if I push down in that area. No visible bruises though. Can walk okay, but any exertion feels like someone is stabbing with a knife in that area. Any help would be appreciated...

just time, ive also heard cold pads or heat pads, different docs say different things, but all of them say time is really all that heals the pulled muscle

wcoastsoftball

With muscle pulls, I always suggest not trying to stretch them the first couple days. It is already stretched. Let it iheal. But it sounds like you are past that time frame so once it feels a bit better after a couple days, you can start light range of motion and bodyweight exercises.

AS for heat and cold, I always suggest to heat in the AM to get the muscel ready for the day and do the exercises, then apply ice as needed throughout the day for pain, etc.

xshawnxearthx

Addicted to Softballfans
With muscle pulls, I always suggest not trying to stretch them the first couple days. It is already stretched. Let it iheal. But it sounds like you are past that time frame so once it feels a bit better after a couple days, you can start light range of motion and bodyweight exercises.

AS for heat and cold, I always suggest to heat in the AM to get the muscel ready for the day and do the exercises, then apply ice as needed throughout the day for pain, etc.
I've been using the moist heat for my calf. My heating pad has a chamois insert and then I use a wrap to hold it up to my leg. Works wonders!

Ron

Addicted to Softballfans
Foam Roller do a search lots of info and they do work 2 weeks it will be good as new.

NE Hitman

Addicted to Softballfans
I read a study, (can't find it now) that showed how some work was definitely better than nothing but rest. One group had ibuprofen, hot and cold packs, and no exertion...the other had the same but continued to do some excercising, nothing too hard or to isolate the hurt muscle, but other things that keep them active. The moral of the story was that yes, there is some benefit to working through it, as opposed to all out rest.