what's the best way to take BP

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Videotape it and have a buddy commentate.

"Wind blowing in from left, bat is brand new out of the wrapper. First swing... gone. 385 feet, nice shot."

It's much better when it's your pops doing the commentary
"Just Crushed! Didn't get it all but still got 340 feet"...

brennen15

Addicted to Softballfans
I have had trouble hitting the ball down all year and still having trouble that why I am asking for suggestions on BP and how to keep the ball down. its not a brag post for me I'm just trying to get better. a lot of people say it don't take a lot to hit the ball but that is a lie and I know it hitting the ball a long way is not a problem for a lot of people placing hitting is. I feel just because u can hit homeruns that dont get u any where at the lower level. First you have to be able to get on base if you want to make it to the next level.

YouTube. Ray Demarini topspin heat. Go practice.

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
I have had trouble hitting the ball down all year and still having trouble that why I am asking for suggestions on BP and how to keep the ball down. its not a brag post for me I'm just trying to get better. a lot of people say it don't take a lot to hit the ball but that is a lie and I know it hitting the ball a long way is not a problem for a lot of people placing hitting is. I feel just because u can hit homeruns that dont get u any where at the lower level. First you have to be able to get on base if you want to make it to the next level.

Like others have said here before. Video your bp or actual game swings and I bet you will see what's wrong. It could be you are not seeing the ball all the way through contact or you could have a loopy swing, who knows. Your best bet is video to see yourself. When we take bp we help each other out with constructive criticism and it's helped us out a lot.

I know when I have a bad hit the guys tell me that I'm looking at where the ball is going instead of looking at the ball through contact. Next at bat and I just smoke the ball because I keep my head still and follow through with the advice I just received. Hope this helps.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
Everyone has their own way....2 best I've done....1st is short with 2 - 3 guys - 12 progressively harder swings off the Tee - followed by 40 swings each pitched ball each in one round - quick and easy......2nd way which I liked better but takes awhile especially if too many players - 2 rounds of 100 each - stay in the box complete time unless you change bats....after 90 swings each swing that's a hit counts - if an out then another swing until you get 100....we took 2 rounds each this way...need about 150+ balls....if enough guys 1 pitches 1-2 shag and the most accomplished/successful stays back to get the balls let go by the hitter and coach the hitter on what he's seeing wrong...builds mind set, strength, repetition so you know where it's going when it hits your swing zone, muscle memory and stamina......we did this once a week on Weds .....played Tues, Wed, Thurs, then hit Friday normal BP (2 rounds 25) if no weekend tourney....Monday was a rest day......

Correction - above 90 if a miss-hit/out then you lost one on the count - some days you breezed to the 100 count - some days took 120 = by 120 or so it's all concentration....sometimes some of my best consistant pop cut in after about 70 swings - think the tiredness factor helped along with concentration build up that comes with it....at that point it's all refinement.....

Part of the secret is finding BP partners that show and are at your level of higher.......and keep the routine going every week.....

Last edited:

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Everyone has their own way....2 best I've done....1st is short with 2 - 3 guys - 12 progressively harder swings off the Tee - followed by 40 swings each pitched ball each in one round - quick and easy......2nd way which I liked better but takes awhile especially if too many players - 2 rounds of 100 each - stay in the box complete time unless you change bats....after 90 swings each swing that's a hit counts - if an out then another swing until you get 100....we took 2 rounds each this way...need about 150+ balls....if enough guys 1 pitches 1-2 shag and the most accomplished/successful stays back to get the balls let go by the hitter and coach the hitter on what he's seeing wrong...builds mind set, strength, repetition so you know where it's going when it hits your swing zone, muscle memory and stamina......we did this once a week on Weds .....played Tues, Wed, Thurs, then hit Friday normal BP (2 rounds 25) if no weekend tourney....Monday was a rest day......

Correction - above 90 if a miss-hit/out then you lost one on the count - some days you breezed to the 100 count - some days took 120 = by 120 or so it's all concentration....sometimes some of my best consistant pop cut in after about 70 swings - think the tiredness factor helped along with concentration build up that comes with it....at that point it's all refinement.....

Part of the secret is finding BP partners that show and are at your level of higher.......and keep the routine going every week.....

100 swings in one round, for one person?

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
We typicaly hit 16 balls per round, try to focus on every ball like it's an at bat. Thought is to make each ball, each swing mean something just like an in game hit. Used to take 24-36 cuts a round and my swing got better, made improvements but my in game performance didn't match my BP until later in tournies or multiple game nights. Less balls per round, more focus on each ball has really helped my game.

Whatbdo you guys that video your bp sessions edit it with? I've never edited any of my stuff.

Jomatty

Starting Player
We take a few cuts to get loose and then set up some sort of stupid game. Something like how many hits out of 20 swings, or 3 at bats with the other guy pitching to get you out. Then we end with with pitching each other some cookies and just swinging away. I like trying to pitch to each other. Allows me to practice pitching and hitting. Cones are a great idea, I'll have to try that.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
100 swings in one round, for one person?

Yes - each person every Wednesday X 2 rounds.....

A couple of us would join in with others taking BP afterwards sometimes.....if we knew them.....

It really builds up the stamina - the key is someone watching/coaching the swings so futile swings are not repeated as you start to tire and attention span gets thinking about things other than attacking the ball......once you've got the groove down it goes pretty fast....