Any whats the call umps

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
How slow is this catcher that he can not go around the batter if it was hit 40 feet in the air. That's one slow guy,

1st off, that's irrelevant to the call.
2nd, there is more involved in this play that you think. The catcher might be up to 12 ft behind the plate. To make the play properly, he needs to get to the ball and turn around to face the plate otherwise it becomes a more difficult catch because the ball is moving away from him.

CD#5

Addicted to Softballfans
If he impedes the catcher from making the catch then the batter should be ruled out.

Baz11softball

Star Player
1st That's bull **** it's a pop fly hit 30-40 feet if the batter stay were he is at it's not hard to catch a pop up if he is running 12 feet really not hard if you find that hard that's sad.
2nd so if the batter moves out the way like out of the batters box to give catcher a chance but catcher takes wrong angle takes him towards the batter that moved once batter should be out again, batter is better off staying were he he is at.

BlueJacket

Addicted to Softballfans
1st That's bull **** it's a pop fly hit 30-40 feet if the batter stay were he is at it's not hard to catch a pop up if he is running 12 feet really not hard if you find that hard that's sad.
2nd so if the batter moves out the way like out of the batters box to give catcher a chance but catcher takes wrong angle takes him towards the batter that moved once batter should be out again, batter is better off staying were he he is at.

The batter should be running to first in case the ball is dropped in fair ground, not standing there looking at his weak hit.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans

It is the responsibility of the runner (in this case batter/runner) to not interfere with the defense's chance of making a play. How the runner does that is up to him.

The play is similar to a pop up behind the infield where the infielders are running with their back to the plate and catching it over their shoulder. Not always the easiest play. With it being 40ft high, you should have time to get to the spot and turn around to make it easier, but if there's someone in your way, you might not have time to do that. Keep in mind it's 12 feet to the plate, not to the ball.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Plays been offered, the appropriate rules have been cited. and you say bull****?

Aren't you smart enough to understand what the rule is?

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
Some people have it in their minds that what they think is right. They need to realize the rulebook (clinics and higher ups) defines the rules. Umpires are given the rules (and training) and their job is to enforce them to the best of their ability. Whether or not they like the rule, it is their job to enforce it as written.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Some people have it in their minds that what they think is right. They need to realize the rulebook (clinics and higher ups) defines the rules. Umpires are given the rules (and training) and their job is to enforce them to the best of their ability. Whether or not they like the rule, it is their job to enforce it as written.

And you know there are a lot of rules umpires don't particularly care for.

For example, pitch limits. ASA did away with them one year and you couldn't hear the roar of Niagara Falls from the deck of the Maiden of the Mist over the complaining of the players who couldn't hit that pitch. I'm all for a pitcher who can throw the ball 30' in the air and still bring it through the strike zone. For that matter, could you imagine using the mat with unlimited ceiling on the pitches?:eek: Sign me up for those games!!!!:rolleyes:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

For example, pitch limits. ASA did away with them one year and you couldn't hear the roar of Niagara Falls from the deck of the Maiden of the Mist over the complaining of the players who couldn't hit that pitch. I'm all for a pitcher who can throw the ball 30' in the air and still bring it through the strike zone. For that matter, could you imagine using the mat with unlimited ceiling on the pitches?:eek: Sign me up for those games!!!!:rolleyes:

Had one pitcher the other night who, now and again, would intentionally do this. 25 feet in the air, and dropped it 3 inches behind the plate.

I told him that I didn't call it illegal, but the local airport did.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans

But...but...but...

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Contrary to popular belief, there is no position on the field whatsoever that offers any offensive player or coach a "safe haven" from an interference call.

None.

i thought the on deck circle and the base coaches box were these places...

I thought the base itself was one. I didn't think a runner was required to vacate a bag to clear a space for a fielder.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
i thought the on deck circle and the base coaches box were these places...

Aaaaahhhhh.........no. The only thing close is that a runner does not have to abandon a base for the defense to make a play. However, do anything other than nothing and even being in contact with the base will not protect the runner from an INT call.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought the base itself was one. I didn't think a runner was required to vacate a bag to clear a space for a fielder.

The runner doesn't have to vacate the bag, but they could still be guilty of interference if they intentionally do something to prevent the defense from making a play.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Thanks for stepping in for me, guys. Just got out of a 3-hour meeting. ;)

Yes, Irish and hookumsnivy are correct: there are no "safe havens" from an interference call anywhere, even on the bases. It is possible to have an interference call anywhere on the field, both in fair and foul territories.

The on-deck circle and coaches' boxes are only meant to provide spaces on the field where they are less likely to get wrapped up in a play. Both the on-deck batter and base coaches are obligated to refrain from interfering with the defense's ability to play ball. If they don't refrain from doing so, then we have specific penalties for each situation.

USSSA, however, views the on-deck circle differently when it comes to a ball striking a bat within that circle. This is, yet again, another minute rule difference that can become easy to confuse among associations.

:D yep,during warm-ups i like to toss it up 15-20' just to get a laugh from the umps, (well used to when it was 12') and say,that i was just practicing my 11.5' pitched :eek:.:p :D

Had one pitcher the other night who, now and again, would intentionally do this. 25 feet in the air, and dropped it 3 inches behind the plate.

I told him that I didn't call it illegal, but the local airport did.
what a .............. fill in the blanks.:eek: :eek: :p :D

kinda thought so myself,umps explain what would not make it ,b/c once they catch the ball and you have moved to let them,its a double play b/c your off the bag..

yes i understand(as posted in my previous post)i know you can't intentionally do something to get in their way,but how can you stay on the base and not....

personally i think i would get as low as i could (squat down)and stay there..

Hell of a pitcher? Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Seriously, he launched that ball into the air, and it fell RIGHT behind the plate. I stared at it for a moment and shook my head.

do it all the time in warm-ups,but haven't tried it in play as of yet,well not lately.:D my pitch now is the flat fast one and hope the ump doesn't get the illegal out in time,do it with a 0-2,or 1-2 count. :eek: :D

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>
why,he is in the box.what about if the batter goes to run and the catcher knocks him down while going for the ball(catcher initiating the knock down).

we call this a train wreck... or just nothing.. both guys are doing what they are suppose to.. Batter/runner is going to 1st..and the catcher is trying to field the ball.. Unless in Umpire Judgment one of them does something intentional, then you would have an out.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
we call this a train wreck... or just nothing.. both guys are doing what they are suppose to.. Batter/runner is going to 1st..and the catcher is trying to field the ball.. Unless in Umpire Judgment one of them does something intentional, then you would have an out.

Maybe.

The "wreck" call seems to be going away, and umpires are either calling the interference or the obstruction. My interpretation of a "wreck" has more to do with a thrown ball than a batted ball. A batted ball still requires the runners to get out of the way, period.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm having a little trouble picturing how a batter who has just hit the ball and is entitled to run to first base, but just stands there in the batter's box, is "doing what he's supposed to be doing".

The old "tangle play" is well documented in baseball (and in some softball rule sets). That play specifically covers a batted ball that is in the vicinity of the plate, as on a bunt, such that the batter exiting the (right-handed) batter's box must cross in front of the catcher as the catcher must come forward to field the ball. There, both players are "doing what they're supposed to be doing"- so long as the batter is going straight toward first and the catcher is going straight for the ball. In that one special case, both interference and obstruction can be ignored. But, if either pauses, or deviates from that unavoidable "straight-line" path, interference or obstruction can be a viable call.

There might be elements of this play I'd like to see in person to get a better idea of exactly who did what. If the batter just stood there, with plenty of time to vacate the area, in my mind he's doing what he shouldn't be doing and he's opened himself up to an obstruction call.

MattyC

Addicted to Softballfans
Plays been offered, the appropriate rules have been cited. and you say bull****?

Aren't you smart enough to understand what the rule is?

If the general consensus of a rule is considered to be BS, then I think its the players duty to call BS. Otherwise, rules would never change and always remain the same. Its the same with laws, nothing will be done until the public speaks out.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
If the general consensus of a rule is considered to be BS, then I think its the players duty to call BS. Otherwise, rules would never change and always remain the same. Its the same with laws, nothing will be done until the public speaks out.

It's not the general consensus that the rule is BS, it's just that guy. He wants to fight with the umps about enforcing the rule correctly. If he doesn't like it, take it up with the proper association's representatives. That's not the umpire. Arguing with the guys enforcing the rules will not get you anywhere when they're making the right call.

The rule is simple and effective and in this scenario, if the batter wasn't a prick he would have been hustling to 1st base and the question wouldn't come up. Boohoo, I hit a pop up, let me stand there like a dip****, nevermind that it might drop.