Any What's the call?

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVDYorHhHg4[/ame]

This was in ASA, but I assume base running rules on stuff like this are the same across all sanctions.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Common play

A runner who advances past a base must retouch that base if he retreats. However, if the runner fails to touch the base when he returns this must be appealed by the defense. It is NOT an automatic out. If the umpire did not see if the base was touched or not the only call he can make is a safe call if there is an appeal.

I'm curious as to why the runner at third was called out. In the video the umpire clearly called him safe.

ureout

The Veteran
i'm not sure how you can see on this video if the runner returning back to 2nd retouched 3rd or even if he actually passed it??? that being said the umpire said he did and then called the runner that was returning back to 3rd safe....so how was he out?

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
I have safe all around. Looked like he may have touched 3rd on way back. Either way too close to tell so even by your replay I have safe all around.

MaverickAH

I also have safe all around.

I don't see how the OP can say whether that runner retouched 3B or not since the Ump's head/cap is partially blocking the bag as the runner retreats to 2B. I wonder if a proper appeal was even made?

All other points made in this thread are valid as well.

It always kills me when leagues want to cheap out by only having one umpire & then expect him to see every freaking little thing when multiple runners are involved. Bases loaded & they expect you to see the catch & every single tag up! :rolleyes: I knew a team that made a habit of appealing every single runner on this type of situation & then they'd pitch a ***** if you didn't call someone out!

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Interesting.

I still don't understand how the runner at third was called out. The plate umpire (there is a base umpire) calls him safe. I agree that from the video it's nearly impossible to determine if the runner retouches third base. I can't see how you get any outs.

ureout

The Veteran
I still don't understand how the runner at third was called out. The plate umpire (there is a base umpire) calls him safe. I agree that from the video it's nearly impossible to determine if the runner retouches third base. I can't see how you get any outs.

good catch I couldn't even see him....he starts out on the play on the edge of outfield grass and barely moves during the whole play...we call them palm tree umpires they just sway in the breeze

Shoeless_Joe

Addicted to Softballfans

^^^ Agree. Only reason I can see runner at third called out is after video ends home plate umpire and base umpire confer and change call?? (looks safe on video but hard to tell from angle). Remove the question of whether runner that ends up at 2nd retouched 3rd on way back all seems pretty ordinary. If OP video is maximized on monitor it looks like runner in question touches bag .. 3rd baseman immediately points like he overstepped bag but left toe looks to drag after step with right foot.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Got to talking with some guys this weekend at a tournament about this play... apparently they called the runner at 3rd out because they claim the 3b coach touched him. Not once did I hear that brought up in the debate. Kind of blows my mind, actually. The big argument from the team in the field was that the runner that finished at 2nd never touched 3rd as he returned to 2nd base. I agree with the people saying the video isn't 100% clear so it's hard to tell if he touched it or not. I see dirt kick from underneath his foot when he pushes off to run back is what makes me believe he didn't touch it. If he did it was on the backside of the bag and I don't know how he could have pushed off the back edge of the bag without slipping or tripping.

Youre allowed to retreat to a previously acquired base from a newly acquired base to make room for a NONE FORCE tag play for a runner retreating to your now occupied base?

Everyones arguing that he didnt retouch, so im assuming this base Was passed or acquired.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
What he did is no different than when runners score back to back in my eyes. It's when he retreats is where it gets interesting to me.

Right, cuz with no force i thought retreating to an unoccupied base after acquiring the next base safely was an out. I thought He forced the pickled runner home by acquiring third safely.

(Still assuming he touched third and it was mentioned that there was a debate on field about him retouching it before retreating)

sjury

The Old Man
He was close enough to the base that the runners argument could be that he was going back to second immediately after he touched the base. The runner determines his own base path, and he sees the ball come to the plate and his first step is back to second, but even if he took a step towards home. I don't see where the third base coach assisted or even touched a runner.

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
so why was the guy going back into 3rd base out??

I have safe all the way around as I can not say for sure there was a missed retouch.

ureout

The Veteran
Right, cuz with no force i thought retreating to an unoccupied base after acquiring the next base safely was an out. I thought He forced the pickled runner home by acquiring third safely.
(Still assuming he touched third and it was mentioned that there was a debate on field about him retouching it before retreating)

the trail runner who acquired 3rd does not own that base until the preceeding runner touches the next bag....that being home plate...since that runner didn't get to home then he can retreat back to 3rd....if both runners were on 3rd at same time and the fielder tagged them both then the trail runner would be called out

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
an added question on this play, just for my knowledge. So if the trailing runner was in a situation where he thought they might both get out by retreating. Can he stay on third and not move to avoid a 2 out situation?(even if it would be him, that gets the out) if he does stay at third would this be called interference if he causes difficulties with the pickle?( just standing still on third, i don't mean purposely waving hands and getting in the way?)

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
an added question on this play, just for my knowledge. So if the trailing runner was in a situation where he thought they might both get out by retreating. Can he stay on third and not move to avoid a 2 out situation?(even if it would be him, that gets the out) if he does stay at third would this be called interference if he causes difficulties with the pickle?( just standing still on third, i don't mean purposely waving hands and getting in the way?)

He can just stand on the base.