Whats this year "Salomon Speedcross must have shoe"

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I’m alternating between the saloman fellraiser and my new balance 3000v3 turf, you can’t use the new balance in a grass outfield, not enough traction but on turf fine or infield, super comfy, I like the traction of the fellraiser, wider than my speed cross which I like, traction is good everywhere, my only complaint on both the fella and the speeds the lug on front foot while batting has deprecated from the shoe, the actual sole, now both of these are over 2 years old and no more warranty but have been pretty durable and happy with the purchase, I’m going to try the boombah hellcats this year when they release the new colors, I loved the old boombah resistance trails, comfy, wide, but had to get like 3 pairs a year, sole would separate or shoe would rip where my front foot would step down while batting so they weren’t durable or cost effective, we shall see with the hellcats, I wish my new balances had a better trail, traction because they would be perfect

Last edited:

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
I have given up on Salomons. Really good shoe, comfortable as hell, but just not nearly the traction that I get from regular cleats. I have read on here a bunch of times that some have had no problem at all with the traction. That is great for that user. I wish that were the case with me, but it isn't.

They are mostly ok for the outfield, and mostly ok on the infield but there have been times when they just didn't grab either surface, and I think one time is too many. So I have given in to the fact that I will just wear cleats on grass/dirt fields.

Nike finally got back in the MCS game with a higher end cleat, and not that crap they put out for the past several years. So that is my choice on dirt.

chile

Bad Ape
I have given up on Salomons. Really good shoe, comfortable as hell, but just not nearly the traction that I get from regular cleats....They are mostly ok for the outfield, and mostly ok on the infield but there have been times when they just didn't grab either surface, and I think one time is too many. So I have given in to the fact that I will just wear cleats on grass/dirt fields...

happened to me a few times with the boombah trails. learned my lesson the hard way...3 slips rounding bases. quit wearing them after...

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
I have given up on Salomons. Really good shoe, comfortable as hell, but just not nearly the traction that I get from regular cleats. I have read on here a bunch of times that some have had no problem at all with the traction. That is great for that user. I wish that were the case with me, but it isn't.

They are mostly ok for the outfield, and mostly ok on the infield but there have been times when they just didn't grab either surface, and I think one time is too many. So I have given in to the fact that I will just wear cleats on grass/dirt fields.

Nike finally got back in the MCS game with a higher end cleat, and not that crap they put out for the past several years. So that is my choice on dirt.
Cleats are great as long as your feet legs aren't barking after tourneys.

Sloth91

I rarely play on turf so maybe that helps mine last? was able to cancel my mizuno order...picked up the NB v4040s at Richards since they were on sale and my military discount knocked them down to a bit more than new boombahs.

you're going to love them

D-ROCK13

I'll stick to my $25 skecher trails. Light, comfortable memory foam insole, and plenty of traction for me. Durability I'm not sure on yet, but for the price who cares

Hiltz

Built for comfort

I'm in the same boat. I don't understand how anyone can say they get the same traction with turfs. I wore a pair for a full season and loved them for their comfort, even though I was slipping occasionally. Then the next spring I slipped on wet grass sprinting for a fly ball and nearly drove my tailbone up into my throat. Never wore then again.

cleats make my back ache...

I always had sore feet and knees from them, but I splurged and bought a pair of New Balance molded cleats last year and had no issues. Big difference between $50 cleats and $100 cleats. My only real complaint is if you run to a store between games and you leave them on, guys hear them and think they're high heels, turn around, and you can see the disappointment. Like, "Ah man, that's a dude. And an ugly dude."

WarHorse

Star Player

I too switched back to rubber cleats after my Boombah turf's failed me on wet grass and infield a few times last year, including two fence collisions from lack of traction in the OF and one collision with the other team's catcher at home plate which resulted in me throwing him back about five feet (tried to plant feet and stop as the throw beat me to the plate by about 5 or 6 feet but couldn't stop or avoid him). I still feel bad about taking him out like that. (The kid was about 5'6 or 5'7 and maybe 160 lbs soaking wet, and I'm a 6'2 220lbs linebacker build)

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
Cleats are just not as comfortable as Salomon's, and if you have issues with back/joints cleats will magnify them.

There a couple of ways to alleviate some of the stress though. First of all (and mentioned above) buy good cleats. Don't buy the $25 cleats because they are made like $ hit.

Both Nike/New Balance make a cleat that goes about $80-$85. They are much more comfortable than the lower end cleats.

Also - something I always do is get a good pair of insoles and replace the insoles. Even in a good cleat the insole is probably trash. In a good cleat for example the Nike Clipper 17 their is an Air Max unit which provides more comfort than anything that says "Keystone", but the insole is still trash.

A good insole adds another layer of cushioning which is easier on the ankles/knees/back.

I realize that spending $80 on cleats and another $20-$25 on good insoles may be a non-starter for some, but for me its ok because I want the traction of the cleat with as much comfort as I can - so its well worth it for me.

Last edited:
I bought some random Asics trail running shoes a few years back that have held up well and had better grip than any Boombah or Mizuno turf shoe I ever had.

MaverickAH

Cleats are just not as comfortable as Salomon's, and if you have issues with back/joints cleats will magnify them.

There a couple of ways to alleviate some of the stress though. First of all (and mentioned above) buy good cleats. Don't buy the $25 cleats because they are made like $ hit.

Both Nike/New Balance make a cleat that goes about $80-$85. They are much more comfortable than the lower end cleats.

Also - something I always do is get a good pair of insoles and replace the insoles. Even in a good cleat the insole is probably trash. In a good cleat for example the Nike Clipper 17 their is an Air Max unit which provides more comfort than anything that says "Keystone", but the insole is still trash.

A good insole adds another layer of cushioning which is easier on the ankles/knees/back.

I realize that spending $80 on cleats and another $20-$25 on good insoles may be a non-starter for some, but for me its ok because I want the traction of the cleat with as much comfort as I can - so its well worth it for me.

I can't remember the last time I've worn a sub $100 turf or cleat. Maybe they were some Akadema's that I paid a ridiculously low price for....... That's my thing.......... Find the best shoe possible. Wait for a sale & then try to find an additional coupon for even more off! It's been a while since I've paid more than $60 for a shoe!

I've said it before & I'll say it again......... Since they're no longer making shoes, someone needs lease or purchase the patent from Tanel for their soles. Their soles were the best design IMHO. I'm down to my last pair. Modernize the materials in order to make them lighter, more up to date & that would be a shoe I would buy!

As it stands now, New Balance makes great cleats & turfs that are very light.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
I can't remember the last time I've worn a sub $100 turf or cleat. Maybe they were some Akadema's that I paid a ridiculously low price for....... That's my thing.......... Find the best shoe possible. Wait for a sale & then try to find an additional coupon for even more off! It's been a while since I've paid more than $60 for a shoe!

I've said it before & I'll say it again......... Since they're no longer making shoes, someone needs lease or purchase the patent from Tanel for their soles. Their soles were the best design IMHO. I'm down to my last pair. Modernize the materials in order to make them lighter, more up to date & that would be a shoe I would buy!

As it stands now, New Balance makes great cleats & turfs that are very light.

Yes Eastbay has a standard 15% off coupon for spending $100+ so you can always find a discount.

With that said I don't care about the extra cash if necessary because I only have two knees/ankles and one back. Making yourself uncomfortable or possibly injured to save a few bucks does not make sense to me.

Tanels were good, but I would never wear the old models anymore. They were just way too heavy as compared to the cleats that I have been wearing.

A seriously upgraded Tanel shoe would be something to consider.

New Balance makes a great cleat/turf. Thankfully Nike jumped back in the game with the Clipper 17 and is giving them a little competition.

MaverickAH

To anyone looking for a pair of cleats on the cheap:

There's a site with Easton 360's for $6.96! Worth a shot at that price! ;)

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put insoles in everything except my Saucony running shoes and my Salomons. I'm a believer there.

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm getting Saucony excursion trails. If I find them on sale I'm getting koa st's I think they're called. I haven't played in them yet, but I love Sauconys.

I've used Saucony's for the last 2 years. Haven't tried the Excursion but the Xodus models are great. I want to try the Koa ST but I'm not a fan of the speed laces.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
am i the only person that doesn't understand the hype around these? i've worn them for an entire weekend and will take my nb turfs any day

I don't get it either. They killed my knees. They were comfy on the feet, but destroyed my knees. I wear New Balance Lacross Turfs now.....They are amazing. I gave away, or sold my Salomons.

Old JB

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't get it either. They killed my knees. They were comfy on the feet, but destroyed my knees. I wear New Balance Lacross Turfs now.....They are amazing. I gave away, or sold my Salomons.
Late to the party. Did you get the same size as your Salomons?

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I own a pair of speedcross and inov8 talon-x. Both great shoes. But the speedcross was a little heavier and didn't have great lateral traction. Also one of the side rubber spikes ripped off. Inov8 won hands down for me. But salomon shoes are still high quality shoes.

I love the comfort of Solomons and their customer service is great, but I'm hard on shoes and I tore up two pair in 6-8 months each. I bought NB cleats to wear because we played a few tournies at a place that rained a lot. I couldn't believe how hard even good NB cleats were on my feet and back. I bought a pair of the Inov8 and love them. I forgot where I even saw them mentioned, but I found a pair on sale for $35 so I tried them. So far really impressed. Every bit as comfortable as the Solomons.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
I love the comfort of Solomons and their customer service is great, but I'm hard on shoes and I tore up two pair in 6-8 months each. I bought NB cleats to wear because we played a few tournies at a place that rained a lot. I couldn't believe how hard even good NB cleats were on my feet and back. I bought a pair of the Inov8 and love them. I forgot where I even saw them mentioned, but I found a pair on sale for $35 so I tried them. So far really impressed. Every bit as comfortable as the Solomons.

Where did you Salomons tear?

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
The first tore inside on the heel, to the point the plastic piece inside was exposed and stabbing me in the ankle. I sent them back, they gave me a voucher and the next pair was doing better, but seemed to have a few gaps between the shoe and the sole on the sides of the shoe. So it looks like it was separating just a little bit. The 2nd pair is doing better than the first, but I try different turfs pretty regular. I love NB and got some of their trail shoes. The nubs on the bottom wore down. To be fair, I did wear them to run on the sidewalk at the park near me and even wore them at work pretty regular.

Nacirema85

Addicted to Softballfans
Under Armor Horizon RTT's.

I put my Salomon's down for them. Both the Fellraiser and the Speedcrosses. The pair below are what I picked up.

23844780_10154865705335458_5409363938916732243_n.jpg

Nacirema85

Addicted to Softballfans
I tried these and found the tongue really dug into my leg. Do you have that issue? Otherwise, these are awesome, especially if you like a wider fit.

Can't say that I have, but then again I don't really tie mine that tight. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I do have wider feet and kind of a flat arch, so these work out perfectly. The grip is pretty solid and the shoe itself is incredibly lightweight.

sscroggin

Yada Yada Yada
One thing to be careful of when buying Salomon's there are tons of knockoffs online. I got some Speedcross 4's from the jungle and they were knockoffs.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm getting Saucony excursion trails. If I find them on sale I'm getting koa st's I think they're called. I haven't played in them yet, but I love Sauconys.
I bought the excursions and they're awesome. Low to the ground and stable. Only fifty bucks to boot.