Any When can you tag up when OF bobbles the ball?

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
On a fly ball, can a runner begin to run as soon as the fly ball is touched by an outfielder, even though if the ball is bobbled and then eventually caught?

This is to clarify at what point the runner is cosidered to have tagged up.

Thanks.

Frost

I'm on a boat *****
As soon as the ball is touched you can tag. If not an OF could bobble the ball into the infield before making the catch

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
On a fly ball, can a runner begin to run as soon as the fly ball is touched by an outfielder, even though if the ball is bobbled and then eventually caught?

Thanks.

Yes. Runners can tag up when the ball is touched. Otherwise, a fielder could hypothetically bobble the ball all the way into the infield to prevent a runner from tagging up.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

Thanks.

That's correct. They may tag up when it's first touched, not when it's caught.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
As soon as the ball is touched. Doesn't matter if it is caught by the intial fielder that touched the ball, or if it is caught by another fielder

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the quick replies. Yap, otherwise OFer can do a dance with the ball into the infield, to prevent tagging up.

Thanks.

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
Just once I want see a clueless fielder intentionally bobble the ball all the way to the infield and think that he's going to get an easy out at third base.

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Umpire called this wrong on us a couple weeks ago. 2nd inning and 1 out, I'm coaching first with a guy on and the ball is hit to RF. Ball hits palm of RF glove and bounces straight up about 2 feet in the air, so I tell guy on 1 to take off to 2nd, (contact is made right?). The ball comes back to into the the fielders glove for out #2. Runner is "safe" on 2 riiight?. NOOOOOO

Other team starts screaming the runner left early, throws ball to 1st, Blue calls runner out. I'm thinking no way...contact NOT possession. I "discuss" this with the Home Plate Blue, not yelling or screaming as that doesn't get us anywhere right, but he won't hear of it. Says, "no, uhhh, runner left at his own risk, he has to tag up....uhm..." I said, "No Blue, RF made contact with the ball and it bounced out of his glove...CONTACT Blue, not POSSESSION...." made that argument 4 times but he still wouldn't hear of it. Other team was 1st or 2nd year players so I wasn't gonna push it, I could have delayed the game, got the rule book, call the Field Sup'r, played under protest, ad naseum, etc.... but I let it go. We ended up winning 20-4.

Blue has been cool in the past and called a fair game overall and was consistent with Strike Zone for both pitchers (I am pitch for my team) so I didn't want to go to town on it. But, next time if this happens, I'm going all the way with it.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Umpire called this wrong on us a couple weeks ago. 2nd inning and 1 out, I'm coaching first with a guy on and the ball is hit to RF. Ball hits palm of RF glove and bounces straight up about 2 feet in the air, so I tell guy on 1 to take off to 2nd, (contact is made right?). The ball comes back to into the the fielders glove for out #2. Runner is "safe" on 2 riiight?. NOOOOOO

Other team starts screaming the runner left early, throws ball to 1st, Blue calls runner out. I'm thinking no way...contact NOT possession. I "discuss" this with the Home Plate Blue, not yelling or screaming as that doesn't get us anywhere right, but he won't hear of it. Says, "no, uhhh, runner left at his own risk, he has to tag up....uhm..." I said, "No Blue, RF made contact with the ball and it bounced out of his glove...CONTACT Blue, not POSSESSION...." made that argument 4 times but he still wouldn't hear of it. Other team was 1st or 2nd year players so I wasn't gonna push it, I could have delayed the game, got the rule book, call the Field Sup'r, played under protest, ad naseum, etc.... but I let it go. We ended up winning 20-4.

Blue has been cool in the past and called a fair game overall and was consistent with Strike Zone for both pitchers (I am pitch for my team) so I didn't want to go to town on it. But, next time if this happens, I'm going all the way with it.

Who cares?

Read, if you can, the title to this board. Does it way, "Player's Whine" or "We Got ****ed by the Blue" board?

No, it is "Ask the Umpire". Obviously, you aren't an umpire and there wasn't a question in there so, bugger off!

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Nope it doesn't "way" any of that, you are right. Wasn't whining, wasn't saying I got ******* by the Blue either, wasn't a brag post. I stated a relevant incident to the OP's question and how it played out.

Thanks for playing.

checker1983

That's correct. They may tag up when it's first touched, not when it's caught.

What if the ball is bobbled and the runner is half way and the OF catches it? Does the runner have to go back to the base and tag or can he still advance to the next base? Just need to clarify this. The ump said once the OF makes contact with the ball and doesnt catch it cleanly the runners may advance to a base w/o goin back and tagging up

baldgriff

Lead Oompah Loompah....
Once the ball is touched you can go. If you leave before the ball is touched and it is caught you would have to retouch. However, if you leave after the ball is touched and the ball is juggled - you can run all day while the outfielder plays circus star.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
What if the ball is bobbled and the runner is half way and the OF catches it? Does the runner have to go back to the base and tag or can he still advance to the next base? Just need to clarify this. The ump said once the OF makes contact with the ball and doesnt catch it cleanly the runners may advance to a base w/o goin back and tagging up

First touch, first touch, first touch.

Once the defense first touches the ball, GO!

This is not complicated.

gotigersgo

Addicted to Softballfans
First touch means the batter can hit a line drive off the pitcher's head and an outfielder can catch it. All runners can freely advance after the ball hits the pitcher in the head. (Happened in a game I was playing in).