Any When do you:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
the job as directed is to not allow a pitch until the batter is in the box-- if they say they have no idea where the box is then it is the umpires job to either get a grounds crew out and make a new box or just take a bat handle and draw the lines --- it's very simple to do and much easier than listening to the bullsh**

Really? Where is that direction provided?

Again, you are THAT UMPIRE that the rest of us hear about. And if you don't like taking bull****, that is all on you. Don't take it, just do the job as prescribed and stop coddling the players.

jonsey

Really? Where is that direction provided?

Again, you are THAT UMPIRE that the rest of us hear about. And if you don't like taking bull****, that is all on you. Don't take it, just do the job as prescribed and stop coddling the players.

yup, i'm that umpire that does his job without trying to be an a**hole, i'm glad you have heard of me and it's not about taking the bullsh** It's about managing the game and not trying to be that umpire who thinks he is the game.. as apparently you do

MaverickAH

yup, i'm that umpire that does his job without trying to be an a**hole, i'm glad you have heard of me and it's not about taking the bullsh** It's about managing the game and not trying to be that umpire who thinks he is the game.. as apparently you do

Your "job" is to notify the batter if, in your judgement, you think that they are not in the batter's box. That is the extent of your job description. Your job is not to draw lines. Properly instructing a batter where they can stand is not being, "that umpire".

Tell you what........ Why don't you give us a detailed description of the batter's box, its dimensions & placement, since you feel so comfortable free-handing it............

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
well I do a lot of mens leagues (20 & 30 yrs old) and I don't want to deal with the attitudes every time they don't want to be in the box--- just much easier to draw a couple lines and say there now get in it
Rules Supplement #7, Batting out of the Batter's Box says, "When there are no batter's box lines, good judgment should be used and the benefit of the doubt should go to the batter." Notice it doesn't say redraw the batter's box with a bat, rake, stick , or your shoe. You know the dimensions and estimate whether they would be in the box if the lines were still there. You don't have a marker in the air to tell you when the ball goes above ten feet, yet I'm guessing you manage to call a ball illegal if it is higher than the line that isn't there. Same concept.

RNRPLZ

Never. The box is always there, whether the lines are drawn or not.
I totally agree. If you are a homeowner, do you know EXACTLY where your irons are marking property lines? I know closely. So if it’s obvious, ask them to step in some. Our rec leagues NEVER mark lines. Now with the contact of ball and being out. Be sure contact wasn’t made BEFORE their foot goes out of the lines. In 9 years I called one guy out. He was a lefty, the team they were playing were new, horrible at best was the pitcher. Ball 4 was obviously coming in as it would have struck a right hand batter square in the hip. He stomped that right foot down hard in front of the plate, then punched ball down 3rd base line. Cried the whole next inning and half.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans

A good umpire can still direct them to get in the box without being an *******. A good umpire can call the strike for them not getting in the box without being an *******. The player refusing to get in the box is the one being an *******. Enforcing the rules in a calm, professional manner is not 'making the game about the umpire' , it is good game management.

jonsey, you have very tenured and good umpires (and players) telling you you're wrong yet you refuse to listen. I hope you listen to your UIC a little bit more than what is happening here. If one of my umpires was refusing to follow the rules like this, after being corrected, you'd either be taken off the schedule or only working lowest division games.

Joker

A good umpire can still direct them to get in the box without being an *******. A good umpire can call the strike for them not getting in the box without being an *******. The player refusing to get in the box is the one being an *******. Enforcing the rules in a calm, professional manner is not 'making the game about the umpire' , it is good game management.

jonsey, you have very tenured and good umpires (and players) telling you you're wrong yet you refuse to listen. I hope you listen to your UIC a little bit more than what is happening here. If one of my umpires was refusing to follow the rules like this, after being corrected, you'd either be taken off the schedule or only working lowest division games.
he's not a good umpire though

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
(Some of) you will be happy to know that last year I actually had an ejection over this very issue.

Batter's box lines are gone. Batter sets up with part of his foot in front of home plate...

Me: Batter, you need to get inside the box.

Batter: But there's no box.

Me: There's always a box.

Batter: Well if the lines aren't there how are we supposed to know where the box is?

Me: The box dimension is seven feet by three feet and if there aren't any lines, then it's my judgment if you're in it or not. But when your foot is in front of the plate I don't need a line to see you're out of the box. Move back about six inches and you'll be good.

Batter: Can you draw a line?

Me: No, we don't draw lines. Just move back about six inches so your foot isn't in front of the plate.

Batter: Well, if there's no line...blah...blah...blah...

Me: (Thinking, "Is this really the hill you want to die on"...) Batter, are you going to get in the box?

Batter: (Raising voice and acting pissed off, thrusts his bat toward me) Here! Draw a line and I'll get in the box!

Me: (With a big, roundhouse, ejection signal) You're gone!

Sorry, dude. You had three requests to get in the box. Instead of getting in the box, you chose to make an argument of it...you tripped my BS meter...buh-bye!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
(Some of) you will be happy to know that last year I actually had an ejection over this very issue.

Batter's box lines are gone. Batter sets up with part of his foot in front of home plate...

Batter: Well if the lines aren't there how are we supposed to know where the box is?

Me: The box dimension is seven feet by three feet and if there aren't any lines, then it's my judgment if you're in it or not. But when your foot is in front of the plate I don't need a line to see you're out of the box. Move back about six inches and you'll be good.

Me: No, we don't draw lines. Just move back about six inches so your foot isn't in front of the plate.

Me: (Thinking, "Is this really the hill you want to die on"...) Batter, are you going to get in the box?

Batter: (Raising voice and acting pissed off, thrusts his bat toward me) Here! Draw a line and I'll get in the box!

Sorry, dude. You had three requests to get in the box. Instead of getting in the box, you chose to make an argument of it...you tripped my BS meter...buh-bye!

Obviously, you did him a favor because it is quite apparent he didn't want to play. It's a damn shame they had a substitute available......or did they? :)

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Ha Ha!!! They did have a sub. But I once ended a game that way- EJ for throwing a bat in anger and no sub available.

The game with the batter's box ejection was my only game where I hit the trifecta...THREE ejections in one game! First, an assistant coach went away for arguing balls and strikes. Then, a couple of innings later, the head coach gets sent packing for screaming in my face, "You're horrible!", over a routine judgment call that didn't go his way. By the time Mister Draw-Me-A-Line started up, this team was on pretty thin ice.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Ha Ha!!! They did have a sub. But I once ended a game that way- EJ for throwing a bat in anger and no sub available.

No, you didn't end the game, those coaches and players elected to end the game.

In my years, I've probably had about a half-dozen games end like that. But what are you going to do? I have more respect for your game to know you would let something slide just to keep the game going. Any umpire who does that is just asking for trouble the rest of that day and setting up other umpires for future games

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Never?? so if the batter is definitely out of the box and the lines have been worn away you just let him hit from where ever? I know this is a common problem and I don't like making lines for a box either but if the batter is out of the box usually the defense starts complaining so then I would make the batters box

Why would you EVER draw a box? Every batter knows where the box is supposed to be. Prior to the pitch, if in my judgement the batter is not in the box I'll ask him/her to get into the box. "But Blue, there's no box"...yes, there is...the box is ALWAYS there. It doesn't matter if there are no lines or if the lines have been worn away. If the lines are worn away or not present at all then as the umpire you give the batter the benefit of the doubt on whether he/she is out of the box on contact. However, if you draw a box, you now MUST call him/her out if they step out of the box you just drew.

If a coach insists that I draw a box I can assure you, the box I draw will be about 2' X 5' and if the batter steps out of it I'm calling him out.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
the job as directed is to not allow a pitch until the batter is in the box-- if they say they have no idea where the box is then it is the umpires job to either get a grounds crew out and make a new box or just take a bat handle and draw the lines --- it's very simple to do and much easier than listening to the bullsh**

Can you show me where in the umpire manual it says its the umpire's responsibility to draw a batter's box?

MaverickAH

It doesn't happen often, but I think that the next time I run in to this situation, I just might honor the batter's request to draw in the lines & draw a 2' x 3' box 2' away from the plate! :D:D:p:eek: