when to tag and whens it an out???

solojowe0286

str8 beast ***e!
runner on 2nd pop fly to rf. Ball hits rfs glove and the runner takes off but ball is juggled in air by rf then caught. When is this considered an out and when is the right time to tag? Had a debate over this last weekend

jrb518

Addicted to Softballfans
Previously posted check in the ask the ump section. It's as soon as it touches the glove of the fielder is when you can tag up

t0mmyb0y

Addicted to Softballfans
this has been answered 77549876759874579843759875 times in the ask an umpire forum. Runner can leave as soon as the ball touches the defensive player. Otherwise the fielder could juggle every ball until he makes it to the infield and no runners would ever be able to advance.

bpierce208

Addicted to Softballfans
You can tag up and leave the base on first touch of the ball. It does not have to be caught on first touch, it can be juggled all the way to the infield and it won't matter as long as the runner holds the base until it is first touched.

Devil Dog

You like soup?
this has been answered 77549876759874579843759875 times in the ask an umpire forum. Runner can leave as soon as the ball touches the defensive player. Otherwise the fielder could juggle every ball until he makes it to the infield and no runners would ever be able to advance.
You're wrong... This has been asked 77549876759874579843759876 times...

hitsone

Doesn't matter how many times it has been asked/answered as long as he gets the correct answer.

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
Giving the correct answer without the extra chatter how many times it has been asked helps more.

oppo

Coach
It also doesn't matter which fielder catches the ball. For example, if the RF tips the ball off of his glove and the RCF catches it, the runner is still entitled to advance when the ball was first touched by the RF.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
you might be surprised, but i just learned something. always thought it was when control was established, and i've definitely seen umps call out a runner for tagging early because they went on first contact, and not when the ball was actually caught.

TRaj2327

So wait, is it on first contact or when control is made? We need one more person to clarify this. I don't think I'm getting it.

Edmonton_fan

Addicted to Softballfans
is it on first contact or when control is made? We need one more person to clarify this. I don't think I'm getting it.

The easiest way to remember it is that there was a Star Trek movie called First Contact.

There was never a Star Trek movie about When Control Is Made... :)

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
On first contact, think of a situation like this....

A fly ball hit to the outfield, as soon as it hits the glove the runner can take off.
If this were not the case a fielder could keep juggling the ball if you will while running to the infield to prevent the runners from advancing.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
On first contact, think of a situation like this....

A fly ball hit to the outfield, as soon as it hits the glove the runner can take off.
If this were not the case a fielder could keep juggling the ball if you will while running to the infield to prevent the runners from advancing.

i'd argue that a fielder juggling a ball until the infield would have control of the ball.

the rule is definitely the 'right way' though. i might have to find this in the rule book for next time, you'd be surprised how many outfielders don't catch the ball cleanly in a coed rec league, haha.

solojowe0286

str8 beast ***e!
this is all what i thought as first contact was made u can leave, but this actually happened twice the past weekend both on same guy oddly enough and he was called out for leaving early both times! we tried to argue the call and one of our guys got ejected because of it

MichelleG

Addicted to Softballfans
i'd argue that a fielder juggling a ball until the infield would have control of the ball.

the rule is definitely the 'right way' though. i might have to find this in the rule book for next time, you'd be surprised how many outfielders don't catch the ball cleanly in a coed rec league, haha.

No surprises here. ;)

oppo

Coach

the rule is definitely the 'right way' though. i might have to find this in the rule book for next time, you'd be surprised how many outfielders don't catch the ball at all in a coed rec league, haha.
Sadly, no I wouldn't.

this is all what i thought as first contact was made u can leave, but this actually happened twice the past weekend both on same guy oddly enough and he was called out for leaving early both times! we tried to argue the call and one of our guys got ejected because of it
This was dumb. Arguing with the ump doesn't do any good. What does do any good you ask? "We are playing under protest." ;)

JJF13

Addicted to Softballfans
Sadly, no I wouldn't.

This was dumb. Arguing with the ump doesn't do any good. What does do any good you ask? "We are playing under protest." ;)

I don't see what good saying we are playing under protest will do.

I didnt see anything in the NSA rule book about this. I always thought it was when the outfielder caught the ball. If he made contact bobbled it then caught it I am pretty sure that if the runner left on first contact they would get called out for leaving early.

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been called out numerous times for leaving early after "first contact" was made. Unfortunately, I was never vocal enough to do anything about it (nor were my teammates back then) or didn't fully understand the rule. I now give myself a "1 count" after it hits the glove to take off.

solojowe0286

str8 beast ***e!
I don't see what good saying we are playing under protest will do.

I didnt see anything in the NSA rule book about this. I always thought it was when the outfielder caught the ball. If he made contact bobbled it then caught it I am pretty sure that if the runner left on first contact they would get called out for leaving early.

this was what i thought as well esp after our runner did indeed get called out

solojowe0286

str8 beast ***e!
I have been called out numerous times for leaving early after "first contact" was made. Unfortunately, I was never vocal enough to do anything about it (nor were my teammates back then) or didn't fully understand the rule. I now give myself a "1 count" after it hits the glove to take off.

i like this idea so that way if the jerkoff who is umping doesnt know the rules it still looks like you didnt leave early

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans

Try Rule 8, Section 8g:
NSA Rule Book said:
[The runner is out]When the baserunner leaves his/her base to advance to another base before a caught fly ball has been touched by a fielder.

phlee

swinger of shaved bats
few years ago I saw this happen
runner on second. batter shoots middle goes off of pitcher's glove, off of pitcher's head and second baseman makes the catch. out was called and doubled up runner on second who didn't leave until ball had hit pitcher's glove.

runner should have been safe according to this rule but i don't think you should be able to catch a ball for an out if it has already touched someone else