Which is easier on bats?

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm concerned with single-walls in particular. Can't use anything over .44 COR. Which is easier on them between a Classic M and a .44/375? To complicate things a little, has anyone noticed any decreased durability using NX3's? I love them for the other league. Is a .44/375 SB12 easier on bats than a .44/375 polycore? Thanks in advance.

Country469

nx3 is the cover material, nothing to do with being easy on bats. Matter of fact I saw some posts about premature breakage on FB using them.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Neither ball will be good on singlewalls long term. I agree that .44 375s are better though. Whichever ball you end up using you're going to damage some bats.

I also agree that SB12s are easier on singlewalls than polycore balls. Only problem there is the SB12s mush up pretty fast and get worthless.

As cold as its been in CO this year, if leagues still used singlewall bats and hard balls there would have been hundreds of dented/cracked bats. .52s have GREATLY reduced bat breakage.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
We're limited to .44 COR or below. This league is only open in the summer. I'm in Texas. It will be 85-110 at all games.

I might buy a handful of SB12's to toss in when I bat.

53ksm

Manager
This was given to me regarding the tattoo nx3 spinnerPR. It gives a SI number for both a 44/375 and the classic m 40/325. I'm not 100% sure where the 52's would fall in the SI.

Attachments

• 2017-05-31 19.05.05.jpg
    2017-05-31 19.05.05.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 38

Doug

Old and Grumpy
.52's have an SI around 500-600

SI 1200 is the point where the chances of a ball killing you goes way up, so interesting that they made a ball just under that.

The Spinner ball must have a COR somewhere in the middle between .44 and .52 (maybe .49?) and probably more compression than a 52/300. Which sounds an awful lot like an Evil BP Rocket.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
We're limited to .44 COR or below. This league is only open in the summer. I'm in Texas. It will be 85-110 at all games.

I might buy a handful of SB12's to toss in when I bat.

85-110 it won't matter what ball you hit, they'll be mush. I'm used to playing in far cooler weather than that.

Legend 94

Addicted to Softballfans
.52's have an SI around 500-600

SI 1200 is the point where the chances of a ball killing you goes way up, so interesting that they made a ball just under that.

The Spinner ball must have a COR somewhere in the middle between .44 and .52 (maybe .49?) and probably more compression than a 52/300. Which sounds an awful lot like an Evil BP Rocket.

Sounds like the Spinner is designed to help with breaking in a bat as well as making it safe for BP without doing significant damage to the bat. That has to be a fine line but I'm sure Kevin did plenty of research before releasing that ball...

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
85-110 it won't matter what ball you hit, they'll be mush. I'm used to playing in far cooler weather than that.

I put a flat spot the size of my hand on a 32oz blue Ritches Superior with a .47/500 in over 90 degrees. Broke the bat into two pieces about thirty swings later. I'm not hitting nearly that hard right now as I'm on a diet and down 45lbs.(I thought I needed to lose 10-15 lol) The rest of the team will be hitting .44/525's or .44 Hot Max's. I want toss in something better than those wal-mart turds, but something less likely to damage my bats than a .44 Hot Max. I'll be swinging a 32oz TPSW, 34oz SB3 Ritch's, 34oz TPS Advanced, 34 and 35oz Cu31 Powerdomes, and MAYBE on a really really hot day a 32oz SB1.

Yeah they get softer in the heat, but I'm not sure a .44/525 at 110 degrees feels any softer than a Classic M in 60 degrees.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
This was given to me regarding the tattoo nx3 spinnerPR. It gives a SI number for both a 44/375 and the classic m 40/325. I'm not 100% sure where the 52's would fall in the SI.
Very interesting. I wonder how the SI of a .44/375 NX3 compares to a .44/375 standard ball. If I knew it was the same or lower, I would buy some.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
The 44/375 NX3's I have were prototypes so not sure how they compare to the current. They're awesome 44/375's but I wouldn't think they're easier on bats. We nicknamed them the Solid State Drives and saved them for the end of BP sessions like derby balls.

The only way you can really limit damage is a higher cor ball or use an old school turd like my Easton SX1. It's a 38oz Big 5 special from the late 80's, early 90's. Hit whatever ball you want with a bat like that.

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Try hitting in 115-125 degrees, lots of fun. Softball in the High Desert CA sucked in the dog days of summer.