Who's getting the Hartling 2.0?

jhitman

I saw some demos on this bat. I agree with dirtbag215 that LS makes a great hot bat, but the durability with all the paint chips/seams are a problem. Supposedly, they have worked on getting those issues rectified.

zschaefer

The Veteran
If you break it in gently and properly, you will get a bat that will last a long time, be hot for a long time, and pass compression for a long time - i personally have broken in this exact bat - i've got it down to 265 compression with no paint seems - just some under clear coat webbing - it's nasty how fire it is...

DirtBag215

Can somebody here explain to my why Louisville’s break in system with 50% swings with 52’s makes the bat last long. It doesn’t make sense to me. From my understanding, composite fibers are gonna break down regardless how hard you swing. So how’s 100 swings at 50% off a tee make it more durable?

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I certainly cannot explain why, but I recall reading this a couple/few times that this method has help others with better durability.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Talking out my ass here in terms i can understand:

If you want to replace a tile on your shower wall, you need to break it out. Once the porcelain is broken, that's it. Porcelain does not stretch, it's either intact or it's broken, just like the fibers of a bat.

Now, you can lightly hit the tile with a hammer to slowly and "gently" break the tile. This will make the job last longer before you finally get where you need to be, but it will keep the underlying structure intact. OR you can smash that tile as hard as you can. That's gonna get the tile broken fast but it's also going to damage some stuff that was never meant to be damaged thus compromising the structural integrity of the whole thing.

So what's the difference? The flex present in the tile (bat) as a result of hitting it lightly will create a form of a cushion as microfractures that will help keep the important structure intact. If you just go ham on the tile (bat) the cushion created by lightly tapping doesn't exist and the underlying structure that is never meant to be broken is now completely compromised.

zschaefer

The Veteran
Talking out my ass here in terms i can understand:

If you want to replace a tile on your shower wall, you need to break it out. Once the porcelain is broken, that's it. Porcelain does not stretch, it's either intact or it's broken, just like the fibers of a bat.

Now, you can lightly hit the tile with a hammer to slowly and "gently" break the tile. This will make the job last longer before you finally get where you need to be, but it will keep the underlying structure intact. OR you can smash that tile as hard as you can. That's gonna get the tile broken fast but it's also going to damage some stuff that was never meant to be damaged thus compromising the structural integrity of the whole thing.

So what's the difference? The flex present in the tile (bat) as a result of hitting it lightly will create a form of a cushion as microfractures that will help keep the important structure intact. If you just go ham on the tile (bat) the cushion created by lightly tapping doesn't exist and the underlying structure that is never meant to be broken is now completely compromised.
Very eloquently explained.. bravo

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Can somebody here explain to my why Louisville’s break in system with 50% swings with 52’s makes the bat last long. It doesn’t make sense to me. From my understanding, composite fibers are gonna break down regardless how hard you swing. So how’s 100 swings at 50% off a tee make it more durable?

Honestly, any composite bat should be broken in this way. Wake the bat up gradually and gently with .52s rather than mashing on hard balls right out of the wrapper.

New composite bats aren't really flexible, and beating on them too hard too soon causes the fibers to break rather than stretch.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Composite is made from two components, carbon fibre/fibreglass and resin. As bats break in, the resin breaks down and starts losing its bond with the fibres, allowing them to flex more. If you start hitting 100% with hard balls, you can crack the fibres before the resin has a chance to break down because the fibres are still held rigidly and aren't as free to flex yet.

Louisville bats are super popular here in Canada where we use 99% Hot Dots (.52/275). They feel crisper, sound sharper, and hit the Hot Dots better than other bats. And since we never hit harder balls they have good durability. But an American flag bat won't sell well up here.

jhitman

Great information guys. Once I get my new USSSA bat I will break it in just like an ASA bat. It makes sense to me to do it this way. I have not always done it this way. Maybe that's why a few of my bats broke earlier than expected? How many 52 cor ball swings would be a general rule......50-75?

zschaefer

The Veteran
Great information guys. Once I get my new USSSA bat I will break it in just like an ASA bat. It makes sense to me to do it this way. I have not always done it this way. Maybe that's why a few of my bats broke earlier than expected? How many 52 cor ball swings would be a general rule......50-75?

i'm super overly cautious with mine - but i rarely have seaming or paint cracking issues - and when mine do seam they do it without cracking through the paint - i take 150 half swings with evil bp 52's - then i start taking a little bit harder swings (but not full swings) with the same balls - when i feel like the sound is starting to change - I check the compression - when it gets down to around 275 - then i start taking full swings with 52's when i'm below 270 doing that - i start taking swings with harder balls until it gets below 260 and then it becomes a game - that being said - my half or 3/4 swing is going to be harder than most peoples half or 3/4 swing - it probably takes me 2 days at an hour a each day to get a bat game ready if i want to do it all at once - i usually take the light swings as warmup swings before taking full bp with another bat though - a great example of this process being proven: the catalyst which a lot of people have broken quickly - my catalyst is testing at 255 - is an absolute gasoline fueled fire and has not a single paint seam at all

Hiltz

Built for comfort
i take 150 half swings with evil bp 52's - then i start taking a little bit harder swings (but not full swings) with the same balls - when i feel like the sound is starting to change - I check the compression - when it gets down to around 275 - then i start taking full swings with 52's when i'm below 270 doing that - i start taking swings with harder balls until it gets below 260 and then it becomes a game

I miss the simpler times when you bought a new Easton and just hit 2000 Stadiums as hard as you could.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I miss the simpler times when you bought a new Easton and just hit 2000 Stadiums as hard as you could.

Oh, for sure. That was what BP was all about. I also miss the days when guys could make do with a bat that tested 300 or higher. Now everyone cries like little girls when the bats don't test at 250 or lower right away. People refuse to put any work in.

I don't BP my 240 bats at all simply because they can't take it. No sense in wasting game swings.

DirtBag215

Oh, for sure. That was what BP was all about. I also miss the days when guys could make do with a bat that tested 300 or higher. Now everyone cries like little girls when the bats don't test at 250 or lower right away. People refuse to put any work in.

I don't BP my 240 bats at all simply because they can't take it. No sense in wasting game swings.
This times 1000

Amac.3

Too many guys hitting .44s right out of the wrapper. I’ve got 2 LS (griffey2 and 4tf 12”), and neither have any issues with them. You have to break them in right