Why do most people play softball in running shoes?

Danny Kaffee

Extra Hitter
Why is it that most people I see playing softball whether it's league or tourneys are wearing running shoes? Don't these people want to get some grip while running the bases or making cuts while fielding? They make spikes/cleats for a reason.

I see people hitting with $300 bats while wearing sneakers. Very odd.

gold_glove9

<font color="Orange">Utility Player</font>
Why is it that most people I see playing softball whether it's league or tourneys are wearing running shoes? Don't these people want to get some grip while running the bases or making cuts while fielding? They make spikes/cleats for a reason.

Are you sure they aren't turf shoes? Lots of people wear turfs because they still give you good traction in grass and dirt, but are also comfortable enough to wear all day for tournaments.

AshAid28

Coach
copy cats....I mean things take off by someone who can't be themselves and have to be like the 300lb guy who can't run anyways and is just the DH with the flatbill hat and towel hanging out of his pants...which are 3 sizes to big for him anyhow, who by the way wears sneakers !!!!!! just saying

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
I get just as much grip with trail shoes as I do cleats but they're more comfortable especially when I'm on my feet for 6 to 8 hours.

And to answer ashaid concerns to my weight I'm 180 lbs.

Danny Kaffee

Extra Hitter
I get just as much grip with trail shoes as I do cleats but they're more comfortable especially when I'm on my feet for 6 to 8 hours.

And to answer ashaid concerns to my weight I'm 180 lbs.

You're fooling yourself if you think you get as much grip with turf shoes as spikes. Unless you play on concrete.

If people could get as much grip from turf shoes as spikes major league baseball players would wear turfs during games.

It sounds like the early consensus is that people prefer comfort over performance.

Addicted to Softballfans
My trail's hook up as good or better than my cleats and are 10 times more comfortable. Have you ever tried turfs or trails? How do you know they dont perform as well?

brocstar

Addicted to Softballfans

They add twenty-thirty feet to my home runs since the running shoes are lighter than cleats.

gold_glove9

<font color="Orange">Utility Player</font>
You're fooling yourself if you think you get as much grip with turf shoes as spikes. Unless you play on concrete.

If people could get as much grip from turf shoes as spikes major league baseball players would wear turfs during games.

It sounds like the early consensus is that people prefer comfort over performance.
If softball fields were an manicured as MLB fields, the type of shoes we wore would be very little concern. And most people don't like taking cleats off after every game so the cleats don't get ruined.

d-wreck7

Addicted to Softballfans

For me I started out wearing molded mizunos but after a long day of game after game my feet would be killing me.

I find with the adidas vigors I can wear em all day and play in em all day and my feet don't hurt anymore. Now I could never go back to cleats ill only wear running shoes. I love em.

ATL Rookie

Manager

1. I see a lot of MLBers wearing turfs these days.

2. The difference in grip between rubber spikes and metal cleats is night and day, especially in the IF.

I wear spikes, but only because I havent found a set of mid or 3/4 turfs I like.

blldwg23

Coach
1. I see a lot of MLBers wearing turfs these days.

2. The difference in grip between rubber spikes and metal cleats is night and day, especially in the IF.

I wear spikes, but only because I havent found a set of mid or 3/4 turfs I like.

I actually found a pair of New Balance Turf Shoes that are 3/4 designed for football that I love. Light and very comfortable you ought to check them out.

aquadgio1200

Part Time Player
I rock my Mizzuno turf's, should of gotten the wide sole version and after 2 games i get shin splints. I may go back to regular running shoes for the confort factor. I pitch so i dont do alot of running

ruu-dog

E Rec Player
I was just kidding..;) with the post...I don't wear sneakers but I do wear (and love turfs) far more comfortable on the feet and in my case ankles

And you have a beach towel hanging and a flat bill.. Blasting your radio in the dug out..;)

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with you 100% man. My feet have never hurt after tournaments. Everything else might but never my feet. I've only steadily been playing the game for 10 years. I started off playing in soccer cleats and I admit, I get heckled once and never wore them again. Now its acceptable for guys to play in tennis shoes, turfs, ****ies, and probably jean shorts. The game is starting to go downhill a little bit!

cyoung187

Coach

If our fields were anywhere near the quality of a MLB field, I would continue to wear my spikes. Purchasing my Mizuno Blasts has been awesome for my feet and I have lost no performance. My spikes only come out if the grass is long or the field is wet.

techjunkee

Addicted to Softballfans
Is this a troll?

When did it matter what kind of shoes you are wearing?

Obviously you cant ball as hard as the dude in his NB's so you brought that whiney ish to SBF boards?

I play with guys who wear football turfs, softball turfs, soccer turfs (which some of the new ones are amazing btw), cleats, running shoes, trail shoes, and on and on and on.

Stop hating; just go out to play and enjoy yourself without worrying what everyone is wearing or doing.

My 2¢ - Cheers!

techjunkee

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are an Adidas shoe guy and like the running shoe fit, check out the Soccer X-Pro's & Predator LZ's

LEGIT

FULKnSEEDS

Addicted to Softballfans
No way you get more grip from running shoes or even turfs IMO. That said I wear mizuno blast turfs. Some of the best grip for a turf and are still more comfortable than a molded cleat. Not quite as comfortable as a running shoe obviously but I couldn't ever see myself using those. I do keep a pair of molded with me though if I feel like I'm sliding around a lot that day

Danny Kaffee

Extra Hitter
Is this a troll?

When did it matter what kind of shoes you are wearing?

Obviously you cant ball as hard as the dude in his NB's so you brought that whiney ish to SBF boards?

I play with guys who wear football turfs, softball turfs, soccer turfs (which some of the new ones are amazing btw), cleats, running shoes, trail shoes, and on and on and on.

Stop hating; just go out to play and enjoy yourself without worrying what everyone is wearing or doing.

My 2¢ - Cheers!

You're the one trolling. I asked a simple question and stated my opinion. Others have provided their opinions/explanations.

There is no "hating" going on here outside of your post.

My 2 cents. Cheers.

techjunkee

Addicted to Softballfans
You're the one trolling. I asked a simple question and stated my opinion. Others have provided their opinions/explanations.

There is no "hating" going on here outside of your post.

My 2 cents. Cheers.

You seem upset at guys with running shoes, who hurt you?

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
The day I wear turf, running, or trail shoes on the softball field, is the day that I'm either a permanent catcher or EH or if I happen to be at a field in my street clothes and someone asks me to pick up. Even then, I usually have my softball stuff in the trunk

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
A decent number of MLB players do wear turfs. Metal spikes and rubber aren't the same thing. Why do you care so much what kind of shoes other people wear.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
The fields we play on have very thin layer of sand over rock-hard **** that metal cleats wouldn't even dig into. Turfs give me plenty of traction.