Why do people take coed softball so seriously?

Pumacat35

Professional Hitter
I have no idea, coed is just extra swings for me!! Last year we had a team of half my mens team and some of their wives and a couple extra girls to fill out our 6 and 6. First inning my guys are blowing middle because of some **** that happened at a mens tournament earlier in the year..........LSS I chewed their asses about blowing middle in a coed game and told them if it was still an issue we would play the pitcher in mens the next weekend!

Middle is not open in coed unless it is at state/worlds then all is fair game

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
Not everyone plays for the same reasons.. some want to have fun and get out of the house a little bit. others need to impress and feel important

joesmoe2012

Insane Dedication
My wife gives me a blowjob when I hit multiple HRs, so that's pretty damn serious.
Hopefully, you're the only guy on the team that gets that deal :rolleyes:, though I'm gonna tell my wife about this.
I play a lot of ball like im sure most of you do...I play with all types of skill levels from recreational on up to B/A players. I have played in a broad spectrum of competition but I have yet to understand why guys take coed so seriously.

I see guys who I play with reguarly make fools of themselves in coed by arguing calls/acting out who would otherwise not do something like that. Ive seen more shaved/painted bats at that level of play as well. What gives?
No one on this site that posts multiple videos of himself in coed will agree with this.

Not everyone plays for the same reasons.. some want to have fun and get out of the house a little bit. others need to impress and feel important

I'm playing coed for the first time this year. Pretty much so my wife has a team. But gets us out of the house on Sundays.

X2!!!!

There is a difference between competitive coed and rec league coed. Just like there is a difference in tournament teams and bar teams. What the OP and most people are saying is if you sign up for a recreational coed softball league through your local Park and Rec Office, and you get out on the field with people that play once a week and do not pick up a bat unless they're at a game, wear jeans, and don't have cleats, and you have that one douche guy or dyke girl that has a chip on their shoulder and is out for blood when you get a tshirt and sponsor plaque at the end of the year, it makes the game BS. Yes you should play to win, but it's not life or death, and never worth arguing calls or hurting anyone.

lol at the jeans comments.

Co-ed isn't too bad if you don't treat it like the world series. Only problem I've had is a few girls that want you to beg them to play each week or those that take their spot for granted because they know you're short on women.

Yeah, now this is a serious co-ed problem...

2000_328ci

Extra Hitter
So I'm fully comfortable admitting I am competitive in our coed league... because I like to win. I actually get frustrated playing with people who couldn't give a f*ck what the outcome of the game is so long as they get bombed when it's over.

In turn, I pitch and end up covering second base and home whenever possible (because we have girls in those positions who can't do the job).

I'm sure if you saw me on the mound throwing pitches, than barking orders at lesser skilled players, and running between second base and home.. you'd likely think I'm a jerk as well. But I'm always friendly to the other team, congratulate the other team when they make good plays, and will tip my hat to batters who slam the ball around well.

FWIW, I play a coed league, a lower tier all mens team, and a class-C mens team... totally about 5 hours a week (both men's leagues are double headers). I'm safe saying I'm the best player on our coed team and one of the worst on the class-c team (play right field for that group). But my level of competitive spirit is the same across all three.

DemPhenom

So I'm fully comfortable admitting I am competitive in our coed league... because I like to win. I actually get frustrated playing with people who couldn't give a f*ck what the outcome of the game is so long as they get bombed when it's over.

In turn, I pitch and end up covering second base and home whenever possible (because we have girls in those positions who can't do the job).

I'm sure if you saw me on the mound throwing pitches, than barking orders at lesser skilled players, and running between second base and home.. you'd likely think I'm a jerk as well. But I'm always friendly to the other team, congratulate the other team when they make good plays, and will tip my hat to batters who slam the ball around well.

FWIW, I play a coed league, a lower tier all mens team, and a class-C mens team... totally about 5 hours a week (both men's leagues are double headers). I'm safe saying I'm the best player on our coed team and one of the worst on the class-c team (play right field for that group). But my level of competitive spirit is the same across all three.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you drive a e46 BMW.:rolleyes:

2000_328ci

Extra Hitter
ur screen name is coed, cause its kind of a girl car and a guy car.
Mine's a bit more manly than most...

8739572517_bef557b57f_b.jpg

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

My oldest daughter could probably kick your ass on the softball field......truth.

ur screen name is coed, cause its kind of a girl car and a guy car.

Lol Lou......

wdwlodge

Addicted to Softballfans
I played 1 season of co-ed and I did not care for it. But the bottom line is most people are competitive. Whether it is coed or tourney ball people still want to win. IMO if you don't want to win then why play? Like the old quote goes, "If winning doesn't matter than why keep score?"

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
I played 1 season of co-ed and I did not care for it. But the bottom line is most people are competitive. Whether it is coed or tourney ball people still want to win. IMO if you don't want to win then why play? Like the old quote goes, "If winning doesn't matter than why keep score?"

I think in men's we're competing for/against/with each other more as a bunch of loosely knit competitors vying to earn the best result for ourselves within and for the team. Then - against other teams.

I think in co-ed it's an attention/show-off thing that wouldn't be tolerated on any serious mens team. It's a hard game to take serious given the built in inequities so for some reason the bluster get skewed upwards - the self importance factor/need comes out more with the women around. With the womens performance levels mostly well below the mens the men assume an inflated ego.

That's one reason I think they should have their own sub-forum.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
why not be "competitive"...... I get sick of ppl saying "it's just for fun".....tell me that losing is fun, that watching ppl play coed and NOT be able to hit or field is fun, tell me its fun to watch ppl not run out grounders or flyballs only to have their be a misplay on the ball but the defense still gets the out bcus the hitter is already walking back to the dugout.....if you can tell me that **** is fun (whether its mens or coed) then you are a retard and prob. need to do something where there is no competitive spirit like, oh, I don't know....paper mache or kite flying

I play coed bcus I like the extra field time, it gets my wife playing, and I like the extra ab's....but I'll be got damned if I like watching a bunch of errors, laziness, and a basic "oh well its just coed" attitude out there....take a little bit of pride playing and put forth some effort, if you're not going to do that then from now on just give me your players fees so I can buy a nice team bat and you just stay home....great plan right there

SidewayS00

Addicted to Softballfans
When I play coed I am there purely for fun. There is a coed team out here where I umpire that is far too serious. I actually despise doing there games. Their coach is a mid 40s guy who yells and screams about a missed ball or pretty much any out when they hit, yet he is their worst player.

this sounds like my pitcher... I go out to have fun and so my wife can play. I just go out and play super loose and thats it. there is nothing to get mad at i mean its coed softball. I take tourney's serious league is league.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf

end thread/

there won't be a single post in this thread that makes more sense

krunchyfrogg

It's all in the reflexes
Wait....what?!

LOL!

Funny story: Wednesday before the coed game, my buddy and I down a few at the bar. There's only one other guy in there.

Fast forward an hour when the game starts, and I see that other guy walk up for the other team.

"Hey buddy, did I just see you over at O'Reilly's?"

"Yeah man, I can't play coed sober!"

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
Because people are jerks? Get young men around women and they act even more the fool? Add alcohol and only the bad traits are multiplied? Take your pick.

Here are some free tips for making YOUR team stand above:

- have coaches that actually coach
- have your coaches and players know the rules
- no drinking until AFTER the game
- focus on sportsmanship

Do those 4 things at all well and you will be better than 90% of the teams out there.

I've done these steps, and I swear... teams are stacking up whenever they see us on their schedule. We really are a laid back bunch of people, but I think we are hated on the most because we win. Granted, we did have one instance when one of our guys hit a walk-off HR, flipped the bat, and said "game over". Coach from the other team came out of the dugout and started getting in our faces...sometimes competition is a bad thing when you can't handle losing. (We haven't lost much...12-1 since we started)

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
why not be "competitive"...... I get sick of ppl saying "it's just for fun".....tell me that losing is fun, that watching ppl play coed and NOT be able to hit or field is fun, tell me its fun to watch ppl not run out grounders or flyballs only to have their be a misplay on the ball but the defense still gets the out bcus the hitter is already walking back to the dugout.....if you can tell me that **** is fun (whether its mens or coed) then you are a retard and prob. need to do something where there is no competitive spirit like, oh, I don't know....paper mache or kite flying

I play coed bcus I like the extra field time, it gets my wife playing, and I like the extra ab's....but I'll be got damned if I like watching a bunch of errors, laziness, and a basic "oh well its just coed" attitude out there....take a little bit of pride playing and put forth some effort, if you're not going to do that then from now on just give me your players fees so I can buy a nice team bat and you just stay home....great plan right there

... and the TRUTH shall set you free! Amen brother!

wink

Winkleton

This and This^^^
I play to play with my wife and have a good time. BUT I will be damned if I am gonna play on a loosing team with a bunch of people saying it is 'just' coed!!!
We have a girl on one of our teams and she says "oh it's just a game" and plays all non schalant and all! She is NOT playing with us again.
But cd and wd said it best!!!

btw- I see more showing off in mens than coed.

BL18ok

Addicted to Softballfans
I play coed to spend time with the wife and get browny points so when I travel she doesnt nag as much. That being said we have went to coed world the last 3 years and done well. I play at a high level of ball and I personally don't shut that off just becasue I am playing coed. I think alot of people throw out coed becasue of the crap they see in league. League coed and good tourney coed are 2 different things. But I agree with all of the above post about retards in league. This isnt in coed this is almost all league. Reason number 456 why I dont play league.