Why Easton is Dying...

4xtra

Player/Coach
better?

I'm hoping to pick one of these up later in the year when they go on sale, will they take me 600-700 hits to open up?

I swung last years baker and was disappointed. This years are much better?

I would say so without a doubt.
A buddy uses his as his gamer.
I swung it at a co-ed game for kicks and giggles and I hit an accidental home run

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
New Helmer vs ST100h

What are you Easton die hard picking these days?

Madbeers what do you take if given an option now today?

I would chose the 100H right now. But I only have 450 hits on the new Helmer. Hoping to get that number close to 600 or 700 this week.

Last edited:

Beauner

Starting Player
Picked up the new Baker and swung it last night. Was brand new when we started and finished with roughly 80 swings.
Was swinging it and the new Demarini Stadium, also brand new, and rotating every 20ish swings to try to judge the Baker vs. the Stadium.
Baker started out much stiffer, as I expected. But by about swing 40 the sound started to change and the exit speed really started to pick up.
After about 80 swings on each of them I'd say they are neck and neck.
I already prefer this to my 500 swing Kirby from last year. It isn't even close, really.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Well, maybe Easton really is dying. Played an upper level tourny in CO today. 7 of the 9 best teams in the state were there. I was the only guy swinging Easton out of 7 teams. Everyone else had Mikens and Worths. Maybe a Demarini or two. No LS and I didn't see any Combats.

Miken seems to be taking over big time. We were also hitting ZN classic Ms in 50-60 degree temps. Who knows how the Mikens were holding up. I swung a pair of L2s today and they seemed to hold up fine.

The sad part is, under those conditions the gap between Easton and Miken isn't all that noticeable.

But yeah man, Easton needs an overhaul big time. Cause Miken/Worth is taking over slow pitch.

Last edited:

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Couldn't agree more. Easton has the upper hand in weighting and overall feel. They just can't get the performance thing down. Miken/Worth has definitely taken over the USSSA scene. That's not to say that other companies aren't making good bats either. The Miken/Worth stuff is just that much better.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Lots of Mikens have been failing compression testing here already too. When a bat fails the TD records the serial number of it. If you're caught using that bat again in a tourny you get a year suspension.

This is interesting. I've had bats fail comp one tourney and pass the next.

Eastons have far better weighting and feel than other brands. I love the solid feel. Other bats feel cheap and fragile compared to Eastons.

Agreed. Some other manufacturers just feel cheap.

phoenix26

<font color="#228B22">SBF Fund Donor</font>
I agree. Eastons have far better weighting and feel than other brands. I love the solid feel. Other bats feel cheap and fragile compared to Eastons.

I'll continue to swing them. Especially since the geniuses here decided to use ZN classic Ms for all the upper USSSA tournies in CO.

Good combo right there.
Not played there in a while, but have played 4 tourneys
in Steamboat Springs & 1 in Aurora many years ago. Definitely a
a little more hang time on the balls up there.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never lived in an Easton area, so I'm a tad biased, but they've always been up and down, and never been a ruler at the top level IMO. They make their money on Hammers, Cyclones, and dual stamps they sell at the generic chain stores. Back in the day, their metal singlewalls were the top. Their doublewalls pretty much sucked, but they were still fairly popular from guys who had swung their baseball bats and singlewalls. The Synergys were almost as good as the Ultras, but were quickly banned. Syn2s and Pluses were usually less frequently seen than Freaks. Even here in NSA country other bats were at least as prevalent as Eastons(Mikens weren't NSA legal if you didn't remember). They gained some popularity 3-4 years ago in GA when the Worths and Mikens started sucking. Mostly the thumbprint stuff. I'm sure they're gaining some ground down their again (Worth), but that area is notoriously slow to change so they may not be as fast as other places.

The one thing they've always had locked up was ASA, and that's where they seem to be slipping the most. TPS is bigger than anything in 1.20 here. This is KY though, so Louisville should be even though Wegman owns some of the park we play at. Miken and Worth are pretty big in things that don't test, but they fail so often that almost everyone has something else for tournies that test.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Big 10. They all did a Miken buy in deal this year, so they have a bunch of hot Freak 12s and Blacks. Needless to say they can't keep the ball in the yard. DBOs have hurt them bad so far this year.

Yeah. Couple buddies play for Stars. They told me.

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I hit a little BP this weekend and gave my 15 Baker some cuts. I game a 28oz SY100 that is on the border of pass/fail and ive been breaking in a mamba to replace it. Started hacking with the mamba and was hitting some long balls (mamba is pretty much GTG ~300ish cuts). Picked up my Baker and hit some nearly as far as the mamba. The thing I noticed hitting them side by side was that the mamba has a great "pop" feel on good hits and the Baker doesnt feel s good but the balls still carried. Also swung my 15 connell and didnt hit anything great with it. Maybe im just horrible but I cant get the feel for that bat to save my life.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Meh I think you're seeing what I'd see.

2pc > 1pc

And with the Connell for some damn reason, the sweet spot is low mid barrel and I just CANNOT get used to hitting a ball there.

Funny because the Hall was totally different.

And then I got a hold of a Freak 12 with the upper middle sweet spot and off went the Hall to a friend.

CL22 2016 also nice, pure end cap sweet spot. Love it. Reminds me of old eastons.

Hit my buddy's ST100h a bit this weekend. His is not even really at 600 hits yet and on fire. I need to seriously think about this bat as THE Easton in my collection. Nothing else I've hit of theirs since comes close. Mind you I don't get to hit all these American exclusives.

I hit a little BP this weekend and gave my 15 Baker some cuts. I game a 28oz SY100 that is on the border of pass/fail and ive been breaking in a mamba to replace it. Started hacking with the mamba and was hitting some long balls (mamba is pretty much GTG ~300ish cuts). Picked up my Baker and hit some nearly as far as the mamba. The thing I noticed hitting them side by side was that the mamba has a great "pop" feel on good hits and the Baker doesnt feel s good but the balls still carried. Also swung my 15 connell and didnt hit anything great with it. Maybe im just horrible but I cant get the feel for that bat to save my life.

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Meh I think you're seeing what I'd see.

2pc > 1pc

And with the Connell for some damn reason, the sweet spot is low mid barrel and I just CANNOT get used to hitting a ball there.

Funny because the Hall was totally different.

And then I got a hold of a Freak 12 with the upper middle sweet spot and off went the Hall to a friend.

CL22 2016 also nice, pure end cap sweet spot. Love it. Reminds me of old eastons.

Hit my buddy's ST100h a bit this weekend. His is not even really at 600 hits yet and on fire. I need to seriously think about this bat as THE Easton in my collection. Nothing else I've hit of theirs since comes close. Mind you I don't get to hit all these American exclusives.

Maybe that explains why I felt like I mi**** a few during league night and they still carreid nearly to the fence with the Connell. I had a F12 and I would hit it great during BP and then in games I coldnt square it up. The CL22 is on my list of bats to try.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Yeah the 2pc flex will help a missed hit carry. Gives it a little kick even though it was off the sweet spot.

1pc not so much. But there are some with big sweet spots that hit super well (Assault G4 1pc, Sonic)

My only gripe with my F12 is the older it gets, the more flex it has in it. To me it means I have a hard time keeping the ball down or getting on top when batting smart as a teammate. Great bat for yard or deep cuts, but I struggle to push lower bullets through IF or into gaps just over IF heads. Seems like more flex, more pop up to it on mi****.

Hence why I am developing a huge hard on for the CL22, getting as hot as my Miken but the alloy handle is not getting bendier with time. Nice stiff bat with great pop and I am able to control my spread a little bit better. Less mi**** fly outs with it.

4xtra

Player/Coach
at least that amount...

I'm hoping to pick one of these up later in the year when they go on sale, will they take me 600-700 hits to open up?

I swung last years baker and was disappointed. This years are much better?

They do take a little bit of time to get them ready

I would say no less than 500 hits (525/44 and higher)

anthony5910

Addicted to SBF
I honestly can say before this year I thought Easton's were dying. Until I got this years Helmer, After 400 cuts that bat is fire and probably going to pick an ASA one up or the New Dual stamp Reckoning I think. May start getting more Easton's because I can also BP with them and really can't with my Worth's.

CAMARO80P

Hit one over 300 ft with second swing on the new 28.5 Helmer USSSA. The best Easton I ever swung outta the wrapper!

J2009

Boom !!!!!
I know my torq is around 1k swings and a lot of guys love it I play with and it seems to hit with anything out right now, yes it might be alittle behind my ressy legit and cl22 but not by much and it will last a lot longer than both of them combined.

Josh L.

Extra Hitter
Demarini and Easton are definitely the most common bats you see here, unless you get into the upper level leagues you'll see more Miken and Worth.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, one area where Easton certainly is NOT dying is amongst league players. The leagues I umpire and play in are full of Easton swingers. Why? Because when guys go online looking for bats, Easton is always the cheapest option. Never mind that they aren't necessarily the hottest, Eastons are head and shoulders cheaper and league players buy them in droves.

I never see them break either. The guys swing the same beat up old Eastons year after year.

Agree 100%

BUT...what happens when the rec league guys stop buying and suddenly the massive supply of cheap Eastons isn't there anymore?

gr8watson

The Rookie
I've got to say I have recently started swinging Easton. I got a few new bats at the beginning of the season a Kirby, stadium and USA Flipper. My Kirby has out lasted the Stadium and Flipper along with there replacement. I have since pick up a few other Easton's on being a L6 from a teammate. He said it was a stiff lame stick. After a few rounds of BP all of them are amazing bats, you just have to put in some work. The L6 was hot tonight my short shot was 310. I think Easton's are great you just have to take the time to get them ready. Funny around my area you hear whispers about the Demarini guys and shaving.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
The only reason we don't swing them is the lack of endload. My Buddy has a 30oz L2, that according to Easton is supposed to be monster endloaded, but it swings more balanced than my 30oz Pyscho or 28.5oz Filby. That L2 drops monster bombs when you hit the ball right, but we both hit the ball right a lot more often with endloaded bats.

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
How did this page resurrect?!?!

If you can't tell that Easton slow pitch is dying, just check your local tourney bucket. I haven't watched every bat get tested this year, but what I have noticed is that of the 40 games we've played so far this year, I've seen 1 new line Easton being swung. Seen 2 in league. Easton had dominated Utah for years, so it's a noticeable change.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I played at Wegman's park at Wegman's tournament this weekend and I saw one Easton. Granted, we weren't there long :D, but still.

Down in Valdosta, where Greg Connell went to high school 30 minutes north of us, I wouldn't be surprised if 40% of the players down there swung a Connell as soon as they came out just because. I really thought this place would be Easton heavy with Wegman right here, but it's not like I expected.

Kaji

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw one new Helmer this past weekend that our 1st baseman has, but he put it down for my friends jeff hall patriot with <50 swings on it. I saw one other Easton at the park, a guy had an L5 but that's it.

wcoastsoftball

The only reason we don't swing them is the lack of endload. My Buddy has a 30oz L2, that according to Easton is supposed to be monster endloaded, but it swings more balanced than my 30oz Pyscho or 28.5oz Filby. That L2 drops monster bombs when you hit the ball right, but we both hit the ball right a lot more often with endloaded bats.

I don't know, I just picked up a lightly used L2 in 30...feels pretty darned endloaded to me. I only have about 5 or 6 game swings on it myself and yes, the ball will fly if hit right...

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
I saw one new Helmer this past weekend that our 1st baseman has, but he put it down for my friends jeff hall patriot with <50 swings on it. I saw one other Easton at the park, a guy had an L5 but that's it.
I only saw one easton all weekend. New helmer, but they didnt swing it in the game. Only used it to swing in the on deck circle.