Why I DON’T miss softball

r8dr_rider

it’s slow and figured I’d make a thread on why we don’t miss the game. Even though we miss it so much right now. Here we go...

Managing a league team 14 players confirmed, and only 8 respond to your text after game 2......

dunkky

when everyone else on the team went on a hit parade and you only went 1-6
yeap, on top of that, that ****er goes, it's alright man, team won, that's what matters. STFU.

Or that one guy on the team that always says take a pitch and he's the first one to try and take it deep
yeap, usually the same ******* who says the above. this guys also, denies to draw a walk, so he intentionally swing and miss at a ball after two balls. when you do the same, he cries like the sky is falling. STFU.

Yeah, i know this type of assholes too well. reason why i left the team.

Redsfan

When you have a BP and the only ones that show up are the ones that always hit .700 and don't need it.

I also don't miss the dude on the team that brags he went 5-5 when he really went 1-5 and reached base because of 4 errors. Scorekeeping is hard. Haha

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
When you have a BP and the only ones that show up are the ones that always hit .700 and don't need it.

I also don't miss the dude on the team that brags he went 5-5 when he really went 1-5 and reached base because of 4 errors. Scorekeeping is hard. Haha

This might be the most annoying thing of all. You end up with about half a team of .700+ hitters, and the rest of the team hovering at .500 or below because they never put any work in.

I think what I miss LEAST about softball right now is playing on teams that seem to have a continual revolving door of people. League or tourny team, it doesn't matter. 15 guys on the roster and we inevitably end up with 7 regulars and 3 fill ins every time. IDK if its a national problem, but here in CO guys don't commit for any length of time to softball. As the year progresses and it gets hot you see less and less guys showing up regularly. Also, on cold nights a lot of guys suddenly find reasons they can't be at the game.

I guess my point is, softball players don't appreciate what they have until its forcibly taken away from them. Sometimes here its almost impossible to get 10 guys. We often play with 9 or even 8.

Redsfan

I think what I miss LEAST about softball right now is playing on teams that seem to have a continual revolving door of people. League or tourny team, it doesn't matter. 15 guys on the roster and we inevitably end up with 7 regulars and 3 fill ins every time. IDK if its a national problem, but here in CO guys don't commit for any length of time to softball. As the year progresses and it gets hot you see less and less guys showing up regularly. Also, on cold nights a lot of guys suddenly find reasons they can't be at the game.

I guess my point is, softball players don't appreciate what they have until its forcibly taken away from them. Sometimes here its almost impossible to get 10 guys. We often play with 9 or even 8.

This was my 2019. Never had the same lineup 2 weeks in a row on either team I was on.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was or outfield last year. We got to the point that we brought a guy out who had never played softball before and tried to teach him outfield so we'd have a consistent person. I would guess we had 20 routine balls dropped those first three months, and most of that was not league.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans

And the guy keeping score and going (5-5) is the guy that coaches/manage the team :rolleyes:

This might be the most annoying thing of all. You end up with about half a team of .700+ hitters, and the rest of the team hovering at .500 or below because they never put any work in.

Back in the day this was never an issue with teams i played on, but more often than not these days unfortunately.

Redsfan

We are all sounding like old men but it was better back in the day. Haha. The team I played on from 1989 to 2000 had almost the same line up for the 12 years I played with them. We also hit before each league or tournament game and everyone was there to hit. I guess that's why we played B then and most the guys I play with now play E.

mvfjet

Part Time Player

I have a couple guys on the team that after a loss will say "well at least I went 3-4" but they don't take into account the 3 errors they made or that 2 of their "hits" were errors or a fielder's choice.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a couple guys on the team that after a loss will say "well at least I went 3-4" but they don't take into account the 3 errors they made or that 2 of their "hits" were errors or a fielder's choice.
I don't mind that as much as the guy that plays like that, but also says no, or come on, or what are you thinking when other people make an out. Then you go to worlds and they hit 300.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I also don’t miss the guy that hasn’t confirmed he’s gonna play then shows up 1 minute before game time and is mad cuz I put him on the bottom of the line up.

This is increasingly common too. The guy who doesn't communicate, and then shows up right at game time or late. Half the time you end up picking up another guy to fill his spot, and the guy who shows up late acts all butthurt.

Another thing I don't miss..... a teammate will bring some fill in guy who "played college ball" and says he's great. One look at these people is generally enough to tell its a lie. These "college ball" guys almost universally suck, and quite obviously haven't stepped on a diamond before. Any time someone starts crowing about their high school or college baseball prowess I become leery immediately.

I agree about the wives/GFs in the stands too. They never shut up the whole time. As an umpire, some of the brawls I've dealt with were caused by drunk GFs in the bleachers running their mouths loudly the whole game.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I'll agree here. I've played on teams with guys like this. They're totally fine with a couple soft singles and going 3/4 despite doing nothing of use defensively.

Or guys who continually pad their stats by hitting solo HRs. Team will go 1-2, but these guys are always perfectly pleased because they hit 5 HR in 3 games and drove in 6 runs.

dunkky

I had a guy call me up for double header pickup games. I told him, i rather rest and it's 1 hour driving so, if he can find someone else, that would be better. He insist he needs me. well, guy who wasn't going to make to the game shows up last min. So, he had me DH in first game, then for 2nd game, he told me, i am no longer needed. WTF??? On the way to a parking lot SMH, someone else picked me up. so it turned out ok. But that was just so ****ed up especially I didn't want to come to begin with.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I had a guy call me up for double header pickup games. I told him, i rather rest and it's 1 hour driving so, if he can find someone else, that would be better. He insist he needs me. well, guy who wasn't going to make to the game shows up last min. So, he had me DH in first game, then for 2nd game, he told me, i am no longer needed. WTF??? On the way to a parking lot SMH, someone else picked me up. so it turned out ok. But that was just so ****ed up especially I didn't want to come to begin with.

Yeah, that's crap. You can't pick someone up, have them drive an hour, and then not play them. Do yourself a favor and never play with that guy again.

hitsone

Well, one of my irritations when I was coachng was any "star" player informing that we have more than 10 players that game and he is here to play the whole game, and he is not going to share playing time. Play me or lose me!

dunkky

Well, one of my irritations when I was coachng was any "star" player informing that we have more than 10 players that game and he is here to play the whole game, and he is not going to share playing time. Play me or lose me!

i can live with that, he is good, he earned it. If it's the opposite, different story. everyone on the team knows this guy sucks, but he talks to the coach, he wants to play shortstop and leadoff since he was getting tired of batting last.

I understand it's recreational, you wanna make everyone happy, but it's still a competition to win. If you just wanna drink beer, then hit the bar.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Traveling to Montana........Playing lights out and undefeated on Saturday, to get knocked out two in a row on Sunday because everyone is still drunk or hungover.

D-ROCK13

Teams who refuse to show up to practice and then go 1-5 with multiple errors each week. Cheap @#$%s who have never bought a bat in their life. Guys who choke constantly in the clutch but have a total freak out if someone else does it. #1 for me though, the guy in the OF screaming just throw a strike and let us do the rest after a walk whenI clearly threw nothing but strikes last inning, and he dropped several routine balls

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Traveling to Montana........Playing lights out and undefeated on Saturday, to get knocked out two in a row on Sunday because everyone is still drunk or hungover.

Vegas is the same way. I've seen teams forfeit early morning games because their guys were too hungover to show up on time.