Why I DON’T miss softball

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Teams who refuse to show up to practice and then go 1-5 with multiple errors each week. Cheap @#$%s who have never bought a bat in their life. Guys who choke constantly in the clutch but have a total freak out if someone else does it. #1 for me though, the guy in the OF screaming just throw a strike and let us do the rest after a walk whenI clearly threw nothing but strikes last inning, and he dropped several routine balls
Oh so true on the last part with the outfielders, and ask them to play a gap that a particular batter has been exploiting and the punk waves me off just to get burnt in the same gap again and again. SMH!

dunkky

oh well, it's becoming like more of whining thread. LOL

i had this one particular pitcher with altitude who does not command good ball control. he cries everytime i draw a walk. well, throw a strike dumb ass or STFU.

TheKid33

Star Player
On top of everything else you guys have mentioned..

I hate the guys who show up when we play poop teams and act like they're godds because they had a decent game, but then when we're playing a tough game those guys don't show up and get upset that we lost without them.

Luckily we've had a great team the past few years and everyone shows up every week, but that was a thing on our team for a few years.

TheKid33

Star Player
Also can't stand when playing against a team that cries and storms home after the game when we beat them, but when they get lucky and beat us once every 10 games they wanna be all buddy buddy and have beers with us after the game.

Be consistent you soft jabronis. Unless you're actually my friend, I don't wanna have beers with you whether my team wins or loses. LOL

ShortYellowBus

Having a team BP and only the same 5-6 guys show up. Then the 1st league game comes around and some people can't figure out why their hitting/timing is off.
I have two guys that always show up. One of them is a member of an opposing team.

Anything more than five is a lot of work. Everyone wants to hit 80 balls in a row, so Bp lasts 3-4 hours with more than 5 people.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Running a work team.
But a benefit is seeing guys who sucked, become serviceable and maybe have a moment or two to shine. But you have to keep work teams in perspective.

dunkky

yeah, i find it so inefficient. 4 hours of mostly wasting time for just 20 swings.. thats dumb.

i really enjoy this nightly bp with a bud. actually more like 3 times a week. just two of us. lasts about 2 hours each of us hitting about 80 to 100 balls. Unfortunately, he can't pitch for damn, but it's still cool. i need to also learn how to hit the bad pitch well with authority.

Redsfan

Anything more than five is a lot of work. Everyone wants to hit 80 balls in a row, so Bp lasts 3-4 hours with more than 5 people.

We wouldn't let guys just sit in there and swing until they fall over. Our entire team would always show up for BP. We would have 3 people rotating in and out taking 5 swings at a time. Game type reps. Rotate thru the players a few times and then get 3 more in there. Usually would have 2 rounds like that. Could get thru everyone in usually less than 2 hours with 40-50 swings each. I've been to 100's of Reds games and they and the visiting teams have been doing BP like this as long as I can remember.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

We wouldn't let guys just sit in there and swing until they fall over. Our entire team would always show up for BP. We would have 3 people rotating in and out taking 5 swings at a time. Game type reps. Rotate thru the players a few times and then get 3 more in there. Usually would have 2 rounds like that. Could get thru everyone in usually less than 2 hours with 40-50 swings each. I've been to 100's of Reds games and they and the visiting teams have been doing BP like this as long as I can remember.

We bring a bucket of 20 balls and always aim for 4-5 guys. Easy to get 60-80 swings each in a couple hours.

What gets me is when you have 3-4 guys shagging balls and they're all in a 10' circle in left field, clucking like hens. That's when I work on my oppo hitting.

dunkky

this is where we go now for nightly bp. it's got a screen, perfect. lol much better than any indoor cage. behind the fence is a baseball field where we hit the ball to. can't beat that. LOL

upload_2020-5-2_16-6-27.png

blakcherry329

I don't miss the lack of commitment. I have had more teams break up, during the year, in the last 4 years than my whole career from the 80s to now. It seems like there's so many more "head cases" than there were when I started. Guys just quit when they don't think it's going their way instead of getting better and making the most of it. There's plenty of times I thought I was getting screwed over, but I always finished the season to honor my commitment.
Or maybe I'm just the old "get off my lawn" softball guy? IDK smh:rolleyes::D

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't miss the lack of commitment. I have had more teams break up, during the year, in the last 4 years than my whole career from the 80s to now. It seems like there's so many more "head cases" than there were when I started. Guys just quit when they don't think it's going their way instead of getting better and making the most of it. There's plenty of times I thought I was getting screwed over, but I always finished the season to honor my commitment.
Or maybe I'm just the old "get off my lawn" softball guy? IDK smh:rolleyes::D

You are definitely the OLD guy whenever you play :D

jhitman

I have two guys that always show up. One of them is a member of an opposing team.

I like a very small group anyways. We try to have one guy pitch, one guy field/pick-up the balls and 2-3 guys hitting taking 5-6 swings and then switching. And then we rotate. Only issue not everyone can pitch consistently.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i miss not trying to find girls to play on a coed team....

"games start in 2 hours you will be there right"

"yes"

"ok it starts at 6, be there at 545 ok?'

"ok will be there"

*5:57 rolls around*

my calling her " hey you said you were gonna be there!"

"oh its still on it was cloudy and looked like it was gonna rain and we were out of milk"

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
I also don't miss the dude on the team that brags he went 5-5 when he really went 1-5 and reached base because of 4 errors. Scorekeeping is hard. Haha

when i was coaching church league like 15 years ago, the team full of guys with marginal athletic talent would POUR over the books throughout the game. questions hits blah blah blah. to curtail it i just started marking whether they got on, runs and that was it. then that basically meant if they got on and it not be a walk it was a hit. i had guys at the bottom of lineups who woudl gripe (I WENT 6 for 7 LAST WEEK) yeah don't miss it.

Hagen49

i really don't miss having no idea whether you were going to have enough guys. or having enough guys but knowing that you can't hide everyone. i don't miss breathing a sigh of relief when games are called off due to rain.
I had that a couple times last year, where I was absolutely scraping any barrel I couple find to find a body to put in the lineup. We luckily had one rain out one of those nights, which helped a ton.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I had that a couple times last year, where I was absolutely scraping any barrel I couple find to find a body to put in the lineup. We luckily had one rain out one of those nights, which helped a ton.

Its getting bad. The last couple years my teams played with 8 and 9 guys a lot. There are times you simply can't find ANYONE to fill in. Suddenly everyone has other things to do on league night.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't stand people that commit to things when they know damn well they won't show up. It's not just a softball problem either it's a society problem. I see it at work and in daily life too.
It's this whole beg for forgiveness rather than ask permission crowd. This break might help with that in two ways. Make then appreciate it more or just quit altogether.

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
I love my family, but I'm volunteering to go to the grocery store just to talk to an adult that's not my wife. When did this start?

i go early weekday mornings when nobody's there except one or two females with booty bustin out them leggings. underneath those masks tho, probably looking like steven tyler.