Why

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
They also make a .44 650 ball. High compression and low cor. equals serious bat breakers.

.52 700 would actually be way easier on bats than .44 650.

Plenty of unsanctioned balls out there. A lot of independent backyard tournies honestly don't care what balls you use, so teams show up with anything they can get.

Last edited:

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I know there are tournaments, especially in the south, that let you hit any .52 or any .44. Swing any bat with any NSA or USSSA or ASA/USA stamp.

I played in one in Winston, NC a few years ago. We were hitting stadium balls with my booger and my buddy's OG Resmondo Titan. 325' fields were playing like little league fields.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I know there are tournaments, especially in the south, that let you hit any .52 or any .44. Swing any bat with any NSA or USSSA or ASA/USA stamp.

I played in one in Winston, NC a few years ago. We were hitting stadium balls with my booger and my buddy's OG Resmondo Titan. 325' fields were playing like little league fields.

Yeah. We used to have a big tourny here in CO that allowed pretty much any bat or ball. A couple years ago they finally said you can only use Pro Ms. It was a good idea. Guys were using ridiculous balls, and it wasn't even fun.

99% of the tournies I've ever played in have mandated a certain ball. Anymore, getting to use whatever you want is very rare.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm sure they're not making a ton of these balls, there just isn't a big market for them. Maybe sell 2 dozen if someone is hosting a HR derby. Or like we said, for some crazy outlaw tournament.

Obviously they think they can sell enough to make it worth their effort to produce them. I'm sure the bat manufacturers are happy to see these.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I played in an open ball tournament where 40+ year old could swing Senior bats. One team had those Joker balls. It was not fun. They were hulking out every time they hit it over the 280 fence 🤣🤣🤣

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I wanna swing a senior bat with just a 44/375 to see how it feels.
That's basically what 40+ utrip is. It doesn't feel any different when you barrel up a ball. The difference I noticed was the just misses that usually get caught a few steps from the fence wind up clearing the fence by 30 feet. I hit a granny like that this summer when I swung at a pitch that was going to probably land short and got caught reaching all out on my front foot. Still went about 320'

blakcherry329

It is a joke of a game anymore. Yet.......I still keep playing. Doing my best to keep the pitching position as a weapon.
Yeah, I hear ya. I didn't play any softball with the "yellow" balls this year. Running is not my forte. When you start getting thrown out from the outfield on hits to RF, might be time to hang it up. :mad::rolleyes::D
Been playing modified with Clinchers. Don't have to worry as much in modified, let alone Clinchers. Pitchers have way more control as to where the ball is going off the bat. Plus batters boxes are a thing in modified. ;)

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Yeah, I hear ya. I didn't play any softball with the "yellow" balls this year. Running is not my forte. When you start getting thrown out from the outfield on hits to RF, might be time to hang it up. :mad::rolleyes::D
Been playing modified with Clinchers. Don't have to worry as much in modified, let alone Clinchers. Pitchers have way more control as to where the ball is going off the bat. Plus batters boxes are a thing in modified. ;)

I found a few of those Clincher balls around here. I have no clue who uses them, and I've never heard of a Clincher league.

I liked hitting them. They're by no means great fliers, but they'll go over a 300' fence with a reasonable swing. Still quite a bit deader than most regular slowpitch balls today.

BTW, these Clinchers have a poly core rather than cork.

blakcherry329

I found a few of those Clincher balls around here. I have no clue who uses them, and I've never heard of a Clincher league.

I liked hitting them. They're by no means great fliers, but they'll go over a 300' fence with a reasonable swing. Still quite a bit deader than most regular slowpitch balls today.

BTW, these Clinchers have a poly core rather than cork.
They're pretty big in NY and NNJ modified leagues. Great balls for knuckleballs. I think it's a more enjoyable game because the pitchers and infielders aren't in fear for their lives when a ball is hit to them. :rolleyes: The Gold is definitely a step below 52's, the regular F12s are two steps below.
You also don't have to worry about shaved bats with those balls. Before my leagues when to wood, EVERY team had a couple "questionable" bats. You can tell when the ball is hit, but it's a still a manageable exit speed if the ball is hit at you. Also, you ain't never breaking a bat with those mofos. lol

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
They're pretty big in NY and NNJ modified leagues. Great balls for knuckleballs. I think it's a more enjoyable game because the pitchers and infielders aren't in fear for their lives when a ball is hit to them. :rolleyes: The Gold is definitely a step below 52's, the regular F12s are two steps below.
You also don't have to worry about shaved bats with those balls. Before my leagues when to wood, EVERY team had a couple "questionable" bats. You can tell when the ball is hit, but it's a still a manageable exit speed if the ball is hit at you. Also, you ain't never breaking a bat with those mofos. lol

With wood bats I'd imagine there are few (if any) HRs...

blakcherry329

With wood bats I'd imagine there are few (if any) HRs...
All open field, unfortunately. The ball can travel 275-300, but you have to hit it on the screws(like it should be;)) Lots of Corndogs in our leagues and those can put a little charge into the ball. the good thing is, it's modified. I'm a wily veteran, like Wakefield(😢), so I can keep the bombs to a minimum by changing speeds. Something you can't do in slow pitch.

JN137

I agree that it is becoming ridiculous at this point. Teams are using Hard Core Pro M's or Short Porch's at BLD in 50* weather. It's a joke. Guys are literally MISSING the ball, hitting can of corns off the hands and they are going out.

Remember when they "changed the stamp" in Utrip to make it better?

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I've always hoped that all softball would go to wood but that would probably drop participation by 80% or more. Then of course somebody would quickly form an association that would allow composites and we'd be right back where we are. The genie is out of the bottle on this one.

DirtBag215

I've always hoped that all softball would go to wood but that would probably drop participation by 80% or more. Then of course somebody would quickly form an association that would allow composites and we'd be right back where we are. The genie is out of the bottle on this one.
That’s exactly what would happen. The simple solution is restrict the balls. But that won’t happen.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

It would. All the guys I know here in CO have fragile egos, and are used to hitting the ball well with rock hard balls and ridiculously hot bats.

Every once in a while someone tries to run a wood bat tourny here, and no one ever signs up. In the old days we had them sometimes, and it was fun. Hitting a HR off a 300' field with a wood bat is an accomplishment, and few players can say they've ever done it.

One thing with wood bats... you need a somewhat bouncy ball (like a .52). Hitting classic Ms (or other .40 balls) suck. They literally go nowhere.

One time years ago I played a tourny that was wood bats and 11" balls. It still wasn't very easy to go yard. 11" balls are fun to hit with wood.

DirtBag215

It would. All the guys I know here in CO have fragile egos, and are used to hitting the ball well with rock hard balls and ridiculously hot bats.

Every once in a while someone tries to run a wood bat tourny here, and no one ever signs up. In the old days we had them sometimes, and it was fun. Hitting a HR off a 300' field with a wood bat is an accomplishment, and few players can say they've ever done it.

One thing with wood bats... you need a somewhat bouncy ball (like a .52). Hitting classic Ms (or other .40 balls) suck. They literally go nowhere.

One time years ago I played a tourny that was wood bats and 11" balls. It still wasn't very easy to go yard. 11" balls are fun to hit with wood.
My wood bat league uses ****ty Baden 52’s and they still have some some juice coming off the bat. 52 balls and wood bats would make for a good tournament pending team turnout

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Wood bats hit .52 300s way better than .44 400s. I'm sure @tatooball and @bobbybuggs can put why into words better than me but basically wood doesn't compress and need the ball to do more of the work.