Workout advice

Gator275

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey guys I am in need of some advice. Over the course of the past six months I have dropped about sixty pounds, I have done this by completely changing my eating habits. I have hit a point though where I have stopped losing weight and need to change it up some because I still want to lose a significant amount of weight. I think this is where working out will help me continue to drops pounds.

My questions are where can I find a good workout that is for a beginner that isn’t too strong? I know that is a vague questions, I am looking for something that can help me lose weight while also helping me gain some muscle. My second question is should I be taking anything before, during or after going to the gym? Can anyone recommend some products that they have used in the past?

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you have personal trainers at the gym you currently work out at? They should be able to help you set a routine.

For products/supplements, protien--Optimum Nutrition Whey is a good one, I use Muscle Pharm, vitamins--multi's, I use Centrum, BCAA's-- I use Optimum Nutrition brand, although most any will work, Fish Oil-- Optimum Nutrition, although any will work

tnbowhunter

Addicted to Softballfans
congrats on the weight loss!

so you have dropped the weight soley from changing your eating habits and not working out at all? not even any cardio... Running, stairs, walking, etc...

Gator275

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, at my highest point I was 415 now I am down to about 355. I havent eaten fast food in six months, started eating a lot of salads, chicken, no soda or sweet tea, I will also have a slimfast for atleast one meal a day.

As far as cardio, at one point during the summer I was working the overnight shift at a sports academy in town and would walk about 3 miles a night but that was 5 months ago and since then I have probably been to the gym 5 times.

Trey32

Manager
Scream is a great pre-workout that will burn fat and give you great energy while working out. and you should be taking any type of protein after a workout. they are all the same imo i would recommend Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein as far as that goes. and maybe try to go to GNC and ask them about a thermogetic and see which one they would recommend for you. those will make you lose fat alot quicker.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes, at my highest point I was 415 now I am down to about 355. I havent eaten fast food in six months, started eating a lot of salads, chicken, no soda or sweet tea, I will also have a slimfast for atleast one meal a day.

As far as cardio, at one point during the summer I was working the overnight shift at a sports academy in town and would walk about 3 miles a night but that was 5 months ago and since then I have probably been to the gym 5 times.

Not trying to be an *******, but do yall not have sidewalks? They can be used as an alternative to going to the gym, plus you get some fresh air. You could also pick up some 2 or 5 lb dumb bells to carry with you when you walk, do overhead presses while walking, punches, etc... That will help burn a lot more calories while walking

Also, congrats on the weight loss so far, gotta keep it up though

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Scream is a great pre-workout that will burn fat and give you great energy while working out. and you should be taking any type of protein after a workout. they are all the same imo i would recommend Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein as far as that goes. and maybe try to go to GNC and ask them about a thermogetic and see which one they would recommend for you. those will make you lose fat alot quicker.

Be careful about this....... most employees I have talked too are not very knowledgable about the products they are selling.

I would definitely talk to a trainer about getting on a program as well

wolfpacker27

The Veteran
dont get all fancy with the show n go or taking thermogenics or anything else quite yet. ur still 355 lbs. cardio, cardio, cardio. start walking, as much and as often as possible. then add in light weights / total body type stuff. when u hit another plateu (i cant spell), then u can add something else

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Strong Lifts 5x5 is a beginner's program that seems very decent and can be done in roughly 35-45 minutes.

The nice thing about it (IMO) is that you can start VERY light on the weights and focus on proper form. You don't start off being too sore to move thus getting discouraged. It is very specific and designed to be followed as written, but their website provides you with printable charts to carry with you to the gym.

Designed to be a 12 week course (3 workouts a week) with each workout incrementally adding weight. Very easy to follow and any gym should have what is needed.....although 2.5 lb plates apparently aren't always available.

The "pros" in here can add their concerns about this program, but for an average guy, seems like a good starting program that focusses on the proper areas......but of course "consult your physician before starting any new program."

http://stronglifts.com/

Hiltz

Built for comfort
^^^
Stronglifts is a great place to start, it's basically a free, online rip-off of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. If you're going to start lifting, do yourself a huge favour and get the Starting Strength book (or e-book now). It's probably the best technique reference for the big lifts in existance; there are over 60 pages on the squat alone. As you lose weight, you should add some resistance training to build/maintain muscle. If you lose a lot of muscle with the fat, it's going to be real easy to put the weight back on because your metabolism will be shot. Good luck and keep up the good work.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
I think it is great what you have accomplished so far. Given your current size, I would highly recommend being supervised by a professional. There will be a lot of issues you will deal with that an average size person will not. I don't mean that to be offensive, just the truth. Good work so far. Keep at it.

Shortyaz69

Addicted to Softballfans
dont get all fancy with the show n go or taking thermogenics or anything else quite yet. ur still 355 lbs. cardio, cardio, cardio. start walking, as much and as often as possible. then add in light weights / total body type stuff. when u hit another plateu (i cant spell), then u can add something else

This right here! DO NOT MESS WITH THERMOS YET! If your cardiovascular sytem has not been conditioned for super elevated heart rate, nothing good can come from REDLINING your heart right off the line.... At the very least, you'll feel like complete crap and won't want to train further.

Just take it step by step. Not saying to take it easy, but press your limits within reason. Gradually improve your conditioning with low impact cardio, incorporate some body weight excercises when possible to increase your stability. When you can sustain a high output level, continue to expand your program. As it was previously mentioned, trainers at your gym could help out, however, having been in the industry, most of them are absolute jokes! If you do go the trainer route, do some research, talk to friends, get recomendations. If you can look for, and are lucky enough to find a trainer that is also a physical therapist, AWESOME! Chances are, that person knows their stuff. CONGRATS, and GOOD LUCK going forward!

tnbowhunter

Addicted to Softballfans

my thoughts as well.... cardio, cardio, cardio.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
First off, way to do work! Biking (stationary or not) would be easier on the joints if they're not accustom to the higher impact of running, but def focus on cardio. Forget the supplement junk for now, outside of protein. Keep it up!

Gator275

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the advice guys. If I start taking protein when is the ideal time to take it? Also since I will be taking in extra calories from the protein do I need to cut back my caloric intake at other times of the day.

tnbowhunter

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the advice guys. If I start taking protein when is the ideal time to take it? Also since I will be taking in extra calories from the protein do I need to cut back my caloric intake at other times of the day.

most importantly within 20 minutes of a work out.

i drink 3 a day.

first thing in the morning, right after the gym, and an hour before sleepy time.

tnbowhunter

Addicted to Softballfans
i don't like the taste of most protein either. unless i spend big money on muscle milk cookies and cream.

so i get chocolate and add a little serving of strawberry banana yogurt and 1/2 cup of almonds. tastes amazing.

Julio19

Nice work! I'd start with the stationary bike first. Great way to start getting into cardio and easy on the joints.

CootersTowing

pacific northwest south of the 49th
Cosgrove's Variable Load/Variable Rest based on

No one knows more about fat loss than Alwyn Cosgrove. One technique he now uses, and is getting the best results ever, is Variable Load/Variable Rest.

Instead of doing a set number of reps followed by a set time of rest the load/rest is based on your heart rate. You train hard until heart rate reaches 85% max HR and then rest until your heart rate drops to 70% max HR.

You say used to walk 3 miles on a treadmill. Try jogging( or walking very briskly) until your heart rate reaches 85% max HR and then walking until your heart rate drops to 70% max HR. Repeat until you get 3 miles. Every week try to add .25 of a mile.

Listen to this podcast for more info
http://thefitcast.com/podcast/TheFitCast250.mp3

Last edited:

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
This right here! DO NOT MESS WITH THERMOS YET! If your cardiovascular sytem has not been conditioned for super elevated heart rate, nothing good can come from REDLINING your heart right off the line.... At the very least, you'll feel like complete crap and won't want to train further.

Just take it step by step. Not saying to take it easy, but press your limits within reason. Gradually improve your conditioning with low impact cardio, incorporate some body weight excercises when possible to increase your stability. When you can sustain a high output level, continue to expand your program. As it was previously mentioned, trainers at your gym could help out, however, having been in the industry, most of them are absolute jokes! If you do go the trainer route, do some research, talk to friends, get recomendations. If you can look for, and are lucky enough to find a trainer that is also a physical therapist, AWESOME! Chances are, that person knows their stuff. CONGRATS, and GOOD LUCK going forward!

Sound advice here. Begin with stability exercises, once a good base is set (could take 6 months), chnage your routine and focus on something else (strength, hypertrophy) then in a few months switch your routine again. I recommend planning your workout routine around your softball schedule. Since you play year round, pick the one season you like most! By the end of your season, heading into playoffs, your workout should be concentrating on power.

As far as supplements, per and post workout crap, I do not recommend them unless you have a deficiency. Keep a balanced diet.