workout routine question

browns fan

Addicted to Softballfans
with out going into a long explaination, i'm 45 and I workout everyday, my routine for each body part was a pyramid 10-8-6-4, when i was able to do the full set for a couple workouts i upped the weights by 5lbs. i found that doing heavier weights my joints really bother me. i chalk this up to age. i recently changed my work out to 3 sets of 10 reps but raise and lower the weight to a count of 3 each way. i use a lower weight and i get a better burn and pump doing this routine over the pyramid, plus my joints dont hurt after a workout like they did. i'm not trying to get huge but trying to maintain my current strength. will do a lighter weight routine over the heavier routine cause me to lose a lot of my strength. for instance, my current bench weight doing the pyramid was 205(10)-215(8)-225(6)-235(4) now doing the 3 sets of 10 reps i'm using 170lbs and it's a struggle to do the 3 sets of 10.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
with out going into a long explaination, i'm 45 and I workout everyday, my routine for each body part was a pyramid 10-8-6-4, when i was able to do the full set for a couple workouts i upped the weights by 5lbs. i found that doing heavier weights my joints really bother me. i chalk this up to age. i recently changed my work out to 3 sets of 10 reps but raise and lower the weight to a count of 3 each way. i use a lower weight and i get a better burn and pump doing this routine over the pyramid, plus my joints dont hurt after a workout like they did. i'm not trying to get huge but trying to maintain my current strength. will do a lighter weight routine over the heavier routine cause me to lose a lot of my strength. for instance, my current bench weight doing the pyramid was 205(10)-215(8)-225(6)-235(4) now doing the 3 sets of 10 reps i'm using 170lbs and it's a struggle to do the 3 sets of 10.
I think working out everyday has more to do with the joint pain than training heavy. Layout your entire weekly routine. I'm sure some of the experienced guys will be able to figure something out for you.

The Vapors

Addicted to Softballfans
If you are in the gym you should push yourself. Always using the same weight for the same amount of reps is just burning calories.

Like fro said post your routine, someone would be able to adjust you routine to allow time for your joints to rest. As I have gotten older I've had to make adjustments or take extra time away from lifting for rest.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I would suggest something like the following.

Week 1. 2nd most volume
Week 2. 3rd most volume
Week 3. Most volume
Week 4. Least volume this is your "deload" week.

If you still haven't recovered do another "deload" week, before starting the next month.

Then change the next month. Do variations of the same movements or completely different movements.

CootersTowing

pacific northwest south of the 49th
when i was able to do the full set for a couple workouts i upped the weights by 5lbs... ... i'm not trying to get huge but trying to maintain my current strength. will do a lighter weight routine over the heavier routine cause me to lose a lot of my strength....3 sets of 10 reps i'm using 170lbs and it's a struggle to do the 3 sets of 10.

As long as you continue to push yourself (up the weights by 5lbs when the set/rep combo becomes easy) you should be able to at least maintain your current strength. Perhaps, ever so slowly, get stronger. The key is progressive overload.