ASA Would this get thrown out at an ASA weekday league game?

Toph

Addicted to Softballfans
I just traded for this SCN8 and had a question about the graphics wearing off.

He said the bat has about 900 swings on it which, going from the endcap wear, looks like a high estimate. There is very little wear around the endcap and the barrel is smooth all over. No chips, scratches, etc. The downside though is that the graphics are completely worn off in some areas. I don't know what would have caused this, unless the guy went home after every game and rubbed the thing down with a Magic Eraser. I'm kind of perplexed and wondered if anybody else has had something similar happen.

Both ASA stamps are still very visible so I don't think I have to worry about the bat getting thrown out but I could be wrong about that.

Here are some pictures. Let me know what you think.

synergyflextaper.jpg

synergyflexoverall.jpg

synergyflexendcap4.jpg

synergyflexendcap3.jpg

synergyflexendcap1.jpg

synergyflexbarrel5.jpg

synergyflexbarrel4.jpg

synergyflexbarrel3.jpg

synergyflexbarrel2.jpg

synergyflex3.jpg

synergyflex2.jpg

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It certainly would catch my attention, but it's tough to say. There's one picture that does have me concerned though:

synergyflexbarrel5.jpg

Maybe it's the camera, maybe it's the angle, I don't really know, but the blue just looks a little "weird" in some places. It's not very consistent.

I'd have to see it in person to know how I'd feel about it. I told our crew this past weekend that during the bat check, our hands will "see" a whole lot more on a bat than our eyes ever could (all blind umpire jokes aside).

Toph

Addicted to Softballfans
It certainly would catch my attention, but it's tough to say. There's one picture that does have me concerned though:

synergyflexbarrel5.jpg

Maybe it's the camera, maybe it's the angle, I don't really know, but the blue just looks a little "weird" in some places. It's not very consistent.

I'd have to see it in person to know how I'd feel about it. I told our crew this past weekend that during the bat check, our hands will "see" a whole lot more on a bat than our eyes ever could (all blind umpire jokes aside).

The bat feels very smooth and the endcap is very clean. It looks to me like the previous owner went nuts with a Magic Eraser after every game to keep it clean. The bat doesn't have any chips, scratches, or gouges and the ASA stamps are very visible so I don't see any big reason why it would get tossed.

Any way for me to legally put something on the bat to keep the graphics from getting any worse?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
flex

It almost looks like someone tried to color in some areas of blue with a sharpie.

Bat looks legit though. I'd let it go unless there was obvious signs of painting. It looks like someone was hitting cage balls and wore the graphics off.

Toph

Addicted to Softballfans
It almost looks like someone tried to color in some areas of blue with a sharpie.

Bat looks legit though. I'd let it go unless there was obvious signs of painting. It looks like someone was hitting cage balls and wore the graphics off.

It definitely hasn't been painted.

That's a good call on the cage balls. The guy I bought it from just played coed rec and church league so I'm almost positive that there is nothing fishy about it. Just a guy who didn't know how to take care of the bat.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The bat feels very smooth and the endcap is very clean. It looks to me like the previous owner went nuts with a Magic Eraser after every game to keep it clean. The bat doesn't have any chips, scratches, or gouges and the ASA stamps are very visible so I don't see any big reason why it would get tossed.

Any way for me to legally put something on the bat to keep the graphics from getting any worse?

Well, like I said, I'd actually have to see it. I'd probably let it go.

And to answer your question, no, you can't put anything on the bat to protect the graphics. It'd be the same as painting the bat.

potnation

Starting Player

My kneejerk guess would be that one of his teammates wrote something on his bat with a magic marker as a prank and he used an abrasive to rub it off. Did the guy explain what happened?

corsmr50

My kneejerk guess would be that one of his teammates wrote something on his bat with a magic marker as a prank and he used an abrasive to rub it off. Did the guy explain what happened?

sounds like you are speaking from experience on that one, who the hell writes things on other ppl's bats?