you make the call.....

milkfisher

Addicted to Softballfans
runner on second and third. 1 out. batter hits a sharp ground ball down the third base line which hits the runner who was standing on the foul territory side of the line. after ball hits runner, the ball bounces of of the 3rd base bag, and rolls into foul territory in the outfield.

Whats the call? I will let you know what the blue called later.

AJ22

Super Moderator
runner on second and third. 1 out. batter hits a sharp ground ball down the third base line which hits the runner who was standing on the foul territory side of the line. after ball hits runner, the ball bounces of of the 3rd base bag, and rolls into foul territory in the outfield.

Based on your description on where the runner was standing when he was hit by the ball, this should have been called a foul ball.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Its a foul ball as soon as it hits the runner in foul territory. It doesnt matter where the ball ends up.

milkfisher

Addicted to Softballfans
well.........I was pitching. the ump is usually really good. prob the best it this park. but I think he missed this call.

He allowed the play to continue. after both runs scored and the batter was at second base, i challenged that the runner was hit by the batted ball(along with several other players on my team). he told me that the runner was in foul territory when he was struck and therefore that that rule was not applicable. my next argument was that IF the player was in Foul territory when he was struck, the it was a foul ball, and the play should have been ruled dead either way. i don't make a big deal out of these blown calls. I know umps aren't perfect, and there are a couple guys on my team that make us all look like ass' with he way they argue. we ended up winning the game, so it didn't matter, just thought I would get a second opinion.

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
he definately blew that one for sure. Even with his skewed view of the call the guy on 3rd still should have been out just for the simple fact that the ball hit him.

rightsideswine

Banned User
so if you have a runner on third and the batter pulls the ball down the line just foul your runner should kick it into play? i think I will try this in the near future....if the ump calls the play dead i am gonna have a print out of this thread to prove that he is wrong. :D

djcs1204

King Jackie!!!
The only way this ball is fair, is if the runner jumped into foul ground, barely in foul ground mind you, and went towards left field. The ball then crosses the bag while hooking foul and hits the runner. That would be a FAIR ball cause it crossed the bag before going into foul ground.

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
The only way this ball is fair, is if the runner jumped into foul ground, barely in foul ground mind you, and went towards left field. The ball then crosses the bag while hooking foul and hits the runner. That would be a FAIR ball cause it crossed the bag before going into foul ground.

Now I am even more confused. If the ball hit him in foul territory no matter how foul it's a foul ball.

rightsideswine

Banned User
i think if it hits a runner in foul territory it should be a HR....especially if it makes him bleed. broken bone or large tumor like bruise should be 2 HR's....I'm petitioning ASA and USSSA for this rule change to take effect for the 2011 season

djcs1204

King Jackie!!!
Now I am even more confused. If the ball hit him in foul territory no matter how foul it's a foul ball.

So, you are saying that if the ball crosses the ball fair and then hits anything in foul territory AFTER it crosses the bag it should be fould?

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci

So, you are saying that if the ball crosses the ball fair and then hits anything in foul territory AFTER it crosses the bag it should be fould?

No but the OP clearly stated it hit something(runner) in foul territory BEFORE it went over 3rd base. A ball can never be fair if it hits anything in foul territory before crossing 3rd. Not to mention the fact that the runner was off of the bag when he was struck which means he should have been called out immediately and the ball dead.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Doesn't matter if they were standing on a base or not. Ball was first touched in foul territory? Foul ball.