Your favorite workout

OTech

Ambisinister Pitcher
What is your favorite workout? Softball centric or otherwise. Looking for inspiration and constructive criticism.
For me:
batting cages for 100ish swings followed by a 45 min rest
Overhead and Klokov press
Close grip bench press/incline press
Various deadlifts
Maybe some triceps push downs and leg curls thrown in. Getting dat dere posterior chain.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Throw in some hip bridges for the posterior chain...... And RDLs. Much better than them leg curls.

GHR ain't a bad option either. KB Swings too......

BTW300

Addicted to Softballfans
Throw in some hip bridges for the posterior chain...... And RDLs. Much better than them leg curls.

GHR ain't a bad option either. KB Swings too......

KB swings are one of the best workouts. It's kinda like doing aerobic weightlifting.

Tdietz22

Part Time Player
I recommend leg presses/squats and wrist curls. Forearm strength and leg strength will go a long ways in adding distance to your hits. Especially legs.

tap2284

I wouldn't waste time doing leg press or wrist curls. Use your time in the gym wisely. Squats, Deadlifts, many other compound movements.

Tdietz22

Part Time Player
You realize you Stated squats just like me? Having strong forearms definitely make a difference. Yes legs are most important. I hit legs twice a week. That includes squats, deadlifts, ham curls, extensions. All of it. Legs are the most important thing but I still recommend Strengthening your arms and forearms.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Squats and deadlifts are where it's at. Core work is highly underrated as well. Plenty of ways to get the forearms without wasting time on them in the gym. I won't discourage it simply for the fact that something in the gym is better than sitting on the couch thinking about the gym. But as tap said, use your time wisely. I wouldn't personally hassle with forearm work when I could be doing something else.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
To answer the OP's question, I'm a big fan of

Incline DB chest press
DB Pullovers (for chest or shoulders)
OHP
Tricep push downs w/rope
DB hammer curls
Squats
Leg Presses (just for the volume)
Lunges
GHR
Deadlifts (conventional or sumo)
Pallof Presses

Some of it translates to softball while others I just like doing. Bottom line, do what's good for you. You should enjoy your time at the gym. Don't be the guy who dreads going but does it out of principal. Good way to get burned out.

tap2284

You realize you Stated squats just like me? Having strong forearms definitely make a difference. Yes legs are most important. I hit legs twice a week. That includes squats, deadlifts, ham curls, extensions. All of it. Legs are the most important thing but I still recommend Strengthening your arms and forearms.

I agree you must do upper body work but with the baseball players I've worked with none ever did forearm work. Many other things you could do instead of forearm work. Or isolation movements for that matter. But again, this is a softball board so I know nothing.

Youcallthemlogs

Extra Hitter

You just listed a bunch of lazy machines newbs and women use. How about the leg spreader one or whatever it really is called?

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Agree with tap2284 gotta make the most of one's time in the gym. For me, my favorite exercises are plyometrics, any type of "body weight" exercise (pull-up variations, dips, handstand shoulder press, etc...weight can be added if one prefers) and squats.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I do so every now and then...just do not consider them a "favorite"...lol.

You're crazy! If I could just show up and squat and deadlift every day I would. I'm like the polar opposite of the average bro.

"Bench and curls 5 days a week is the only way to add any size bro"

Big D

In the Batter's Box
Some of my favorites are. Axle clean and press, log clean and press, yoke walk, farmers carries, sled push, sled backwards drag, tire flips, tire rotational throws and tire slams, and of course the standard bench squat deadlift.

mike88047

Extra Hitter
My favorite softball related work out is using a weight sled once a week. It has really helped me improve my speed and accceleration. As far as routine goes, lift 4 days a week, run 4 miles 2 days a week, cages on the day before game.

Ballisttic

Star Player
There is absolutely nothing wrong with working out and building muscle. I wish i could get my a$$ to go do it but i do great for about a month maybe two then i stop working out. I know working out is good for you and kudos for those who stick with it.

But the gym is not needed just go to a empty field with a tee or a bp buddy and take bout 2-400 power swings for distance a week and you will see your distance gains get alot farther quicker than not taking a lot of bp a week and working out.

Now if you can do both that's most likely better yet.

If you dont care about hitting further then what i just posted really doesn't apply to you.

A lot of bp and good mechanics are going to be the number one power building workout you can do.

Im only putting this in because i know what it has done for me and i will say some weeks i have took near 1000 swings but its not needed just 2-400 swings a week will work its magic on you i promise.

Last edited:

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I like keep it simple : bench press, shoulder press, seated row (palms up), lat pull down, squats, hack squats, dead lift, leg curls. Don't neglect your back, I was hitting the ball harder than ever once I decide to go hard. I go about 85% of my 1RM when I hit the gym

tap2284

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working out and building muscle. I wish i could get my a$$ to go do it but i do great for about a month maybe two then i stop working out. I know working out is good for you and kudos for those who stick with it.

But the gym is not needed just go to a empty field with a tee or a bp buddy and take bout 2-400 power swings for distance a week and you will see your distance gains get alot farther quicker than not taking a lot of bp a week and working out.

Now if you can do both that's most likely better yet.

If you dont care about hitting further then what i just posted really doesn't apply to you.

A lot of bp and good mechanics are going to be the number one power building workout you can do.

Im only putting this in because i know what it has done for me and i will say some weeks i have took near 1000 swings but its not needed just 2-400 swings a week will work its magic on you i promise.

What is a "power" swing??

I like keep it simple : bench press, shoulder press, seated row (palms up), lat pull down, squats, hack squats, dead lift, leg curls. Don't neglect your back, I was hitting the ball harder than ever once I decide to go hard. I go about 85% of my 1RM when I hit the gym

85% with how many reps? All the time? Dont lift at a higher or lower percentage ever?

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
85% with how many reps? All the time? Dont lift at a higher or lower percentage ever?

I usually do 85% for strength 5 - 8 reps depending how I feel. I'm trying to get as much type 2 muscle fibers as possible for explosive power. I also try to max out every 2 months. I really don't care for bulky muscles hence I usually only train at 85%

stevendunbar23

I HIT BOMBS!
If you want a whole body workout here are the exercises for you:
Pushups or bench press
Pull ups/ chin ups
Squats/ Deadlifts
Planks
Throw in some sprinting and you will be a top performer. Anything else is just extra.

tap2284

I usually do 85% for strength 5 - 8 reps depending how I feel. I'm trying to get as much type 2 muscle fibers as possible for explosive power. I also try to max out every 2 months. I really don't care for bulky muscles hence I usually only train at 85%

That seems like a good amount of work.... try few reps as well to build power at 85-95% ... that would work wonders.

25. The right side is way easier than the left.

Something is working bc the power numbers are up a bit. Even on bad swings at balls way out of the zone the exit velocity is there.

25 slams??? In a row???

decadus

Starting Player
What are some good ways to strengthen abs and core besides situps or crunches? I hate doing either of those exercises, but I really need to strengthen my core.