Batting averages

middleripper77

Starting Player
What is everyone's thoughts on what a good/bad/average/poor/outstanding batting average is? Here is what I generally go by:

Below .500 = terrible
.500 to .550 = marginal
.550 to .599 = average
.600 to .649 = good
.650 to .699 = very good
.700 or higher = outstanding

Big Sexy 5334

Older and wiser
What is everyone's thoughts on what a good/bad/average/poor/outstanding batting average is? Here is what I generally go by:

Below .500 = for a competitive team you need an OBP% better than this but liveable if good defense is played by this person
.500 to .599 = average
.600 to .699 = very good
.700 or higher = unreal

cr4shpeg

Addicted to Softballfans

Below .500 = terrible
.500 to .550 = marginal
.550 to .599 = average
.600 to .649 = good
.650 to .699 = very good

Wooo! Marginal to average! I'll take it!

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League

Below .500 = for a competitive team you need an OBP% better than this but liveable if good defense is played by this person
.500 to .599 = average
.600 to .699 = very good
.700 or higher = unreal

I agree. If you play Senior Ball with a Middle Fielder take off about 100 points.

The stat I take into account is how many FC's a batter hits into.

erobelli

ENATION #10
It depends on what it is for. League - your chart looks good especially if its a lower level league or church league. For tournament play, i would drop it 50-100 points.

dgambill85

Banned User
Anything below .600 and I felt like I shouldn't have even went to the tourney. I was more Of a hindrance than a help. In league I go off of feel to be honest. Did I feel like I had a good game? Did I hit the ball hard and did it go where I wanted it to?

wink

Winkleton
.600??? I think terrible for a Tourney.
I hit .600 last saturday and feel i hit like ****!!
Thought I was hitting well. I have kind of been stuck around the .600 mark for about a year now. Before that I was a consistent .700+ hitter.

Luckily my defense is keeping me valuable.

And if you are a tourney player playing league, should be .750 or better.

OldManThreeNuts

Catching and batting last
FC is an out for sure... that said, I had an issue with it two weeks ago when Fatty McCankles on second base didn't hustle on the liner I hit to left field and got thrown out for the force at third.

UptotheKnuckle

Addicted to Softballfans

Below .500 = terrible
.500 to .550 = marginal
.550 to .599 = average
.600 to .649 = good
.650 to .699 = very good

for tourneys yes for league no. Most days I play league I'm usually .650+ for the season. usually 700+- a few points but even the tourneys I have played i would hit 600+ doesnt count as good imo. Just cause you hit % wise well doesnt mean they consider you a good hitter. I played on a team that first tourney i played with them hit .800+. the second time I played hit .650+ for the tourney had the best average on the team but didn't get a call back for the next. Unless you can hit a "bomb" teams won't pick you up. I'll hit gaps all day long but that isn't good enough. Some guy on the team hit two HR's but batted .350 got call back yet i didn't. Am I but hurt? A bit cause consistent hitting isn't really anything out here. My hits are not spatacular but i'll put it inbetween the outfeilders all day. sorry vent post.

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer
for tourneys yes for league no. Most days I play league I'm usually .650+ for the season. usually 700+- a few points but even the tourneys I have played i would hit 600+ doesnt count as good imo. Just cause you hit % wise well doesnt mean they consider you a good hitter. I played on a team that first tourney i played with them hit .800+. the second time I played hit .650+ for the tourney had the best average on the team but didn't get a call back for the next. Unless you can hit a "bomb" teams won't pick you up. I'll hit gaps all day long but that isn't good enough. Some guy on the team hit two HR's but batted .350 got call back yet i didn't. Am I but hurt? A bit cause consistent hitting isn't really anything out here. My hits are not spatacular but i'll put it inbetween the outfeilders all day. sorry vent post.

Maybe it's your defense. If not, then who cares? You don't want to play for a bad team with a bad manager anyway. If you are as good at hitting gaps as you say, then a quality team who knows what they are doing will pick you up soon enough.

Crush17er

Addicted to Softballfans
Who keeps averages? All I do is make sure Iam able to count my outs on one hand hopefully

Just remember in utrip when you hit one out in the first couple of innings and now are an out for the rest of the game... just bc you dont get abs dont mean you arent making outs... just sayn...

obp is more important in softball then average...

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Just remember in utrip when you hit one out in the first couple of innings and now are an out for the rest of the game... just bc you dont get abs dont mean you arent making outs... just sayn...

obp is more important in softball then average...

Oh snap. (three snaps in a "Z" pattern)

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP

Below .500 = terrible
.500 to .550 = marginal
.550 to .599 = average
.600 to .649 = good
.650 to .699 = very good

It also depends on if the average is for league or tourneys.

juice64011

Addicted to Softballfans
we count errors and FC as outs on my team, i'm sure every team does it differently

We do too but after the last thread about this topic we figured out that many teams don't count errors and FC as outs which would be the reason so many people say that .600 is average. I really don't understand how you wouldn't count either against you considering you should have been out.

I have an ASA B player on my team that is one of the top hitters in our area and he is surprised that he is hitting .750 in our league and is very happy with it. He is also leading our team in batting average.