Batting averages

71bama17

Addicted to Softballfans
If your hitting above .600 your doing well, and a good enough hitter to be playing tournaments, I used to think I was a super good hitter and then I started actually keeping a legit AVG. not counting errors, and it made me feel alittle more human,

aircorey

Addicted to Softballfans
If your hitting above .600 your doing well, and a good enough hitter to be playing tournaments, I used to think I was a super good hitter and then I started actually keeping a legit AVG. not counting errors, and it made me feel alittle more human,

Agree with this.

FC and Errors count as 0-1 both avg and obp.

When you do not count errors and FC in your stats, they may not look as "exciting", but the are a much more truthful number.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
We do too but after the last thread about this topic we figured out that many teams don't count errors and FC as outs which would be the reason so many people say that .600 is average. I really don't understand how you wouldn't count either against you considering you should have been out.

I have an ASA B player on my team that is one of the top hitters in our area and he is surprised that he is hitting .750 in our league and is very happy with it. He is also leading our team in batting average.

You are thinking like baseball though. Not saying you are wrong, however you want to do it is up to you. The reason most don't keep a baseball average is because the highlest level players in our sport don't. If you get on base without creating an out, it's 1-1 in terms of on base. Judging an error in this sport is much more difficult than judging an error in baseball since so many more balls are hit hard and the bases are much shorter.

I would venture to say that most teams count FC as an out, or at least they should.

OBPS is what you should really be measuring anyway, this stat will tell you more than OBP or BA.

alberts35

Addicted to Softballfans
if you dont go at least 8 out of every 10 (.800 for the idiots) then you absolutely have no business being on the field, and are a disgrace to the game.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I don't track my average, singles, doubles, triples, homers or RBI's.....I just know that every out is a massive failure and every loss sucks.

tmpnick16

Addicted to Softballfans
I hit .750 this past weekend and my avg went DOWN! Batting just over .760 for the year.
Pretty proud of myself. I was moved to the lead off spot so I began to focus more on hitting holes and simply getting on base rather than hitting the ball hard.

Nateorious

Addicted to Softballfans
Everyone remembers the 3/4 and 4/5 games but the 1-4, 2-4, 2-5 games seem to slip the memory. If you don't keep stats regular through out the whole season you don't have a ****ing clue what your batting. And your not a .750 + hitter or you wouldn't be play d/e/rec ***** now gtfo with this ****.

If your butthurt over this then ya you are that ^^^ guy.

Newtothegame

Not looking for a team
Everyone remembers the 3/4 and 4/5 games but the 1-4, 2-4, 2-5 games seem to slip the memory. If you don't keep stats regular through out the whole season you don't have a ****ing clue what your batting. And your not a .750 + hitter or you wouldn't be play d/e/rec ***** now gtfo with this ****.

Agreed...

Thats 75 hits in 100 AB's.. Not that common.

coolluvr4u1976

#1 bomb dropper
When I look at our book for Tournaments, I dont try to keep track of batting averages, just OB% , not counting FC plays....

last tournament I was just under a .600 OB% but all of my other tournaments this year, i was consistently in the mid to upper .600 OB%

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
FC is an out for sure... that said, I had an issue with it two weeks ago when Fatty McCankles on second base didn't hustle on the liner I hit to left field and got thrown out for the force at third.

yeah id call that a hit for you and a running error on fatty Mc. We go by how hard the ball was hit. If a ball is a dribbler to 2nd and he boots it, thats an E and your BA drops. If you scorch one at the SS and he is in Ole mode, we call it a hit. If an outfielder dives and misses the ball thats a hit, even if it hits his glove, it wasnt a routine play.

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
I believe we play it if you get on base it's a hit. Errors tend to even themselves out vs. stolen hits/bad umping over the season anyway...at least I find. At what point do you consider the error to be forced by the difficulty of the hit, etc. Some people have more range to get to balls most people can't and so on so forth.

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.

I tend to agree with this, except my latest 1/4 was just last night. On a positive my three outs were all pretty good shots to the 3B. Guy made a couple good plays on me so I tip my hat to him. I put good swings on the ball, just hit some at'em balls. Oh well. More importantly we won anyway. That's what counts ultimately.

Next week I'll hit a dinker or two that will fall in. It all evens out.

OldManThreeNuts

Catching and batting last
I'll never understand that mentality...........If I go anything less than 5-5, I'm unsatisfied.

My tournament team is TERRIBLE, so I consider tournaments an audition for other teams. I have the same mentality, if I get out at all, I'm pissed.

Last tourney was a 3GG and I went 4-5.... Yeah, I only even got up 5 times. But had I gone 5-5, I would have been happy at the end of the day.

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe we play it if you get on base it's a hit. Errors tend to even themselves out vs. stolen hits/bad umping over the season anyway...at least I find. At what point do you consider the error to be forced by the difficulty of the hit, etc. Some people have more range to get to balls most people can't and so on so forth.

if a ball is booted by a defender and it was considered to be a routine play we rule it an error. If its a close call i will always ask the guys in the dugout what they think, and 95% of the time they vote for a hit.

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
Cant speak for anyone else.... but if I do not hit at least .600 in a tournament, I consider it to be a bad weekend... 600-700 is acceptable... over .700 is good, over .750 is very good.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
It depends on how good the defense is. Anything in the air that isn't a home run should be playable since there are 4 outfielders.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
BA/OBP on sbf is no different than Hr distance. Pretty much scale down what everyone says they do by .50-.75 points and we're good.

CPhoenixM

Extra Hitter
BA/OBP on sbf is no different than Hr distance. Pretty much scale down what everyone says they do by .50-.75 points and we're good.

Psh...my avg/obp is listed online for my league so I can't really lie about it come at me bro