Rotator Cuff

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
Well, got the 2nd opinion and it was worst than the first guy

Torn Labrum, Torn Rotator Cuff, Got a piece of bone missing in the socket.

I should be shot and put out to pasture. :(

Easy now...I've had my labrum repaired twice, still have a tear in my rotator, and now my non throwing shoulder feels like the labrum is tearing also. Add to that two back surgeries and just recently another disc herniation which the injections have helped tremendously (received two last night).

Just means you may need to play catcher from here on out. ;)

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Easy now...I've had my labrum repaired twice, still have a tear in my rotator, and now my non throwing shoulder feels like the labrum is tearing also. Add to that two back surgeries and just recently another disc herniation which the injections have helped tremendously (received two last night).

Just means you may need to play catcher from here on out. ;)

I never understood that since catchers probably make more throws than anyone else on the field.

Anyway getting sent for a 2nd MRI with contrast this week. They want to see what's left. Supposedly I am missing a bunch of tendon in the first MRI and might not have enough left to even consider surgery :(

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
I never understood that since catchers probably make more throws than anyone else on the field.

Anyway getting sent for a 2nd MRI with contrast this week. They want to see what's left. Supposedly I am missing a bunch of tendon in the first MRI and might not have enough left to even consider surgery :(

Normally the catcher only throwns a short distance and it doesn't have to be a 100 mile an hour fastball. ;)

Good luck!

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, got the 2nd opinion and it was worst than the first guy

Torn Labrum, Torn Rotator Cuff, Got a piece of bone missing in the socket.

I should be shot and put out to pasture. :(

I just had surgery to repair a torn labrum and bone spur in my right (throwing) shoulder last week. I'm hoping after rehab I'll be able to throw without seering pain again...

BTW, I went to an ortho before I ever saw a GP about my shoulder, he had me do an X-ray and then an MRI before suggesting surgery, and the idea of a cortisone shot wasn't even brought up. Surprised your insurance wanted you to damage the muscle with steroid shots before doing an MRI.

wcoastsoftball

I just had surgery to repair a torn labrum and bone spur in my right (throwing) shoulder last week. I'm hoping after rehab I'll be able to throw without seering pain again...

BTW, I went to an ortho before I ever saw a GP about my shoulder, he had me do an X-ray and then an MRI before suggesting surgery, and the idea of a cortisone shot wasn't even brought up. Surprised your insurance wanted you to damage the muscle with steroid shots before doing an MRI.

You are going to see a lot of changes in what insurances do with Obamacare taking over. Shots, exercise, rest for 2-6 weeks before getting an "expensive" MRI. Really hurts my athletes even now. Used to refer them to the Ortho, x-ray with MRI scheduled a couple days later to get them possibly back on the field faster. Now they are basically done for that time period before even an MRI.

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
You are going to see a lot of changes in what insurances do with Obamacare taking over. Shots, exercise, rest for 2-6 weeks before getting an "expensive" MRI. Really hurts my athletes even now. Used to refer them to the Ortho, x-ray with MRI scheduled a couple days later to get them possibly back on the field faster. Now they are basically done for that time period before even an MRI.

Well without getting into politics, with my limited knowledge of current insurance practices I would assume the insurance company would be all for saving $. Damaging the muscle tissue would only end up costing them more $ in the long run. My insurance deductible was $2k, then it's 80-20, so I paid the $880 MRI out of my own pocket anyways, no sweat off the insurance company's back. Then surgery was another few thousand dollars even after my deductible was met. It was 2 weeks between first consult with ortho, and the day of my surgery. Sucks you gotta sit 'em for so long, everyone's insurance is different...

jb16

Addicted to Softballfans
why in the blue hell is he giving you a shot without knowing the exact problem. The shot makes you feel better doesnt eliminate the injury. Of course your going to hurt all over again.

Last edited:

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
why in the blue hell is he giving you a hot without knowing the exact problem. The shot makes you feel better doesnt eliminate the injury. Of course your going to hurt all over again.

This was my first thought...

stangnut

Addicted to Softballfans
Hang in there buddy! I had fullmass tears of 3 tendons, 2 in the back & the top one in the front. 5 months later the Doc reatached the 2 back ones, the front was rip so bad it was short & look like a feather. He had to cut the cuff & reatach the tendon, then sew the cuff back together. He also had to shave the bone under the scapula. I also had 6 platic screws & 6 nylon cables installed to help hold it together. Doc told me 8-10 months to throw & 16-18 months to play. 10 months later I had a pacemaker/defibrillator installed in my chest. I started back throwing in 8 months & was playing catcher in a ballgame at 11 months. 1st tourney playing outfield was 1yr exactly to the day of my surgery. I'm not sure of your age, but I'm 56+. I'ts mind over matter, if you want to do it you can.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Going in for surgery on 5/30. Basically torn labrum, torn rotator, bone chip, going to use shoulder muscle to replace missing tendons. He said he won't know the full extent till he slices me up. But looking at a least 1 month of immobilization before 6-8 months of rehab he said. The good news is he's the doc for the Diamondbacks so he has experience in dealing with getting people back and playing.

wink

Winkleton
pretty sure mine is torn right now.
Haven't been to the doc, mainly for all the reasons here.
Don't want cortizone shot.
Don't want surgery.
But damn does it hurt like crazy!
I have started to rehab it myself. Started playing infield. Getting a tiny bit better.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Going in for surgery on 5/30. Basically torn labrum, torn rotator, bone chip, going to use shoulder muscle to replace missing tendons. He said he won't know the full extent till he slices me up. But looking at a least 1 month of immobilization before 6-8 months of rehab he said. The good news is he's the doc for the Diamondbacks so he has experience in dealing with getting people back and playing.

Had Labrum surgery 1 year ago. Get a lazy boy recliner type chair to sleep in for about 4-6 weeks after surgery. It will lock you into position and keep you from rolling around when your asleep. The big thing in the beginning is not moving the labrum and letting it heal early on by immobilizing it with an annoying sling. I put a soft piece of foam under the shoulder strap and cut the foot off a dress sock and put sleeve over the foam to make it soft and help hold foam in place....little things make a big difference!

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Thanks had surgery yesterday they gave me a sling with a pillow to keep it immobile. Unfortunately it was worst case and they had to do a total repair. Says I cant even start throwing for probably 12 months.

DirtyDick74

Player forever
My rotator tore while benching, 3rd set first rep of dumbells. almost threw up in the gym. I knew it tore......

I had surgery 4/15, bone spur subacromial decompression, labrum repair, and full thickness tear of the rotator cuff. Doctor also removed alot of inflamation from the joint. I will be in a sling for at least 10 weeks. just got the stitches out and was told to start some minor stretching. ( I have had the labrum repaired on this shoulder twice before )...... I was told recovery 4-6 months. A week prior to surgery I was given a cortisone shot to alleviate some swelling and inflamation to ease the surgery. I hope to be ready for a tourney in vegas first week of december.....

I wish you all the luck with your shoulder.

Last edited:

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks had surgery yesterday they gave me a sling with a pillow to keep it immobile. Unfortunately it was worst case and they had to do a total repair. Says I cant even start throwing for probably 12 months.

Dang, I wish you all the best bro. I just started rehabbing from my labrum/bone spur surgery two weeks ago. It'll be slow going, but I'm already starting to feel like it's a little more mobile. Once you're all healed up, take your rehab seriously. The harder you work at it, the faster you'll be back. And painkillers. Get out in front of the pain and take plenty of painkillers before you go to your rehab sessions.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
i think i have to switch the painkillers the Percocet they gave me makes me nauseous. i'm puking 3-4 times a day and it makes me itchy too. going for the follow-up thursday so i'll let him know.

wcoastsoftball

Percocets can definately do that. I am not telling you what to do, but I personally reduced the dose from the orders when I took them. Problem with that is they become addictive.

chucky02

surgery sucks, bro... I wish you all the best. get plenty of rest, do the rehab exercises and come back next year!

tnbowhunter

Addicted to Softballfans
I just was diagnosed with torn labrum as well as having a partial tear of the rotator cuff, as well as bone spur.. not once has my Dr suggested cortisone shot. Starting physical therapy next week to try and strengthen shoulder before any consideration of surgery. Dr said post surgery is 3-4 wks in a sling, followed by 3-4 months of p.t. and about a full yr before considering it to be "100%"

This is what my doc did... Same exact problem as the poster whom I just quoted. Never once suggested cortisone due to the effects of the steroid crystallizing in the joint. My shoulder is still ****ed. I can't bench with a bar, only dumb bells. Even then I can't push more than 60's. I can play a weekend tourney and feel fine the next day or I can play 1 game and be in pain for 2 days later.

Biggest advice, stay away from the narcotic pain pills for more than a short period. Unexpected addiction to em SUCKS!

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
I gave up on the painkillers I couldn't take the nauseous feeling anymore. They gave me Valium to sleep at night. Totally sucks having to sleep sitting up btw. I'm 2 weeks out now start PT 3 times a week next week they said.

Playmaka37

The Professor
Coming off a torn tendon surgery from March. Just started light lifting on the shoulder. Took me a month with limited rehab to start getting my arm to 90 degrees standing still.

It took me a long time, but I just took it easy, and did my rehab swings and moves everyday, and every 3-5 hours. Don't try to do to much, and let the body heal.

I doubt I will ever play OF again, because I don't know if I can throw like I used to. I do know I will be able to hit again. A few people told me not to do the surgery. Was the worst pain I had for one week, but 2 months after, is when I noticed a difference. I am almost fully functional now, so it was worth it.

Good luck, brother.

greg1292

Coed bomb dropper........
I had a complete rebuild front and back blown out and the lining of the joint tore
and so much tendonitis when I took the sling off my bicep was smaller than my wrist
this was in 1987 by Dr.James Andrews pitched 8 months later and still have a decent arm at 49.

Too the point when you do your rehab get in a pool and let the water do the work for you
it will speed up the process and increase your flexibility or range of motion is the key.

goinyard25

Keep Calm and Drop Bombs
Rehab

Was having a ton of pain so final dragged myself to the doc. Did x-ray and said it's definitely inflamed. Got a cortisone shot on Thursday and it still hurts am I screwed? Anybody got first hand experience of what's next?

Doc says my insurance won't pay for the MRI till after a couple of shots are done to see if it's torn. So I have to go back in 2 weeks.

Tore my labrum March of 12. Saw two doctors including a top Physical Therapist in our area. He said it will rehab on its own after a while. Gave me a bunch of exercises to do including lateral shoulder raises to 45 degrees, shoulder circles, a lot of tubing, light stretching and ice. I could not even do a pushup when it first happened it hurt so bad. Im back to hitting the 125 lb DBs to full ROM and it feels great. It was a very frustrating, long road but Im back. Hope this helped!

Kaveman

Trend Setter
Den - sorry to hear about the surgery..damn! a total rebuild...take it easy and follow what the PT says. I am 6 months out from my torn labrum repair. I let it go for too long and a cyst developed and started pressing on the nerve. That was fun...not! Sleeping the chair and ice is your best friend.

bradblah

Weeeeee
i just got back from the orthopedic surgeons office - found out that i have a severe case of tendonitis in my rotator cuff. it hurts like hell to do anything above the shoulder level but my doc is pretty confident that nothing is torn. he prescribed 6 weeks of PT and come back for a check up ..... i can't imagine how bad a full tear would hurt.

tnbowhunter

Addicted to Softballfans
i just got back from the orthopedic surgeons office - found out that i have a severe case of tendonitis in my rotator cuff. it hurts like hell to do anything above the shoulder level but my doc is pretty confident that nothing is torn. he prescribed 6 weeks of PT and come back for a check up ..... i can't imagine how bad a full tear would hurt.

ihad to quit my PT... i couldn't keep going 2 days a week and missing work.

i just started a little cycle of " Barry Bonds " supplements and my shoulder pain / issues have disappeared!

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Den - sorry to hear about the surgery..damn! a total rebuild...take it easy and follow what the PT says. I am 6 months out from my torn labrum repair. I let it go for too long and a cyst developed and started pressing on the nerve. That was fun...not! Sleeping the chair and ice is your best friend.

Sleeping in the Chair sucks ass, I actually fell out of it the first couple of nights. But I figure out to tuck pillows on the sides so I don't move around. But damn neck hurts sometimes when you wake up.

Yeah I was a mixture of everything going wrong at the same time apparently. Torn Rotator, Torn Labrum, Bone Spurs, missing tendons, and they had to shave down some shoulder bones to prevent it from happening again after it healed. I'm on week 3 of PT and I'm finally able to raise it forward but can't do anything reaching back or up yet.