Hitting Middle

adunn83

Jesus saves!
I had middle gone twice on me in one of our last games. Both gave up a "sorry pitch". I told them middle is part of the field, keep sending them. It's part of the game. Learn to get a glove on them and have fun. If you have any reservations, don't pitch.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not trying to sound like softball douche but I only say sorry if I hit the pitcher.
Hit the ball hard win the game and move on
I only say sorry if it's head high. We have nets in league now so I don't really have to worry about it.
That's what he gets for dancing around like an idiot. I'd blow him up too.
Notice how he breaks opposite of where he pitches it until the last one? It's like he was surprised he threw a strike.

Exactly. Is he really ready to field the ball, anyway? That was a routine line drive if he's standing still ready to field.

He's not ready, but that is not routine at all.

blakcherry329

I only say sorry if it's head high. We have nets in league now so I don't really have to worry about it.

Notice how he breaks opposite of where he pitches it until the last one? It's like he was surprised he threw a strike.

He's not ready, but that is not routine at all.

Ok, maybe routine is the wrong word. Catchable might be a better way to describe it, although I'm not sure if that's a word.:confused:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Catchable. Spell check says no, but I disagree.

I'd assume I'd catch that ball more often than not, but I also put my glove up and am ready instead of having it down around my thigh thinking I can get it up in time. It's hard to really judge the speed of that shot from that angle, but he doesn't look like a beginner at all.

It makes me a little nervous because he appears to turn his head. I don't like that. I wish there was a slow mo of it.

gold_glove9

<font color="Orange">Utility Player</font>
Could you tell it he was wearing a mask or helmet? With the way the ball ricocheted off and he'd stayed on his feet says something.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
We are an E class team with a couple D players. We played a C class team the other night in a recreational league. We beat this team earlier in the season & was on the verge of beating them again when they started hitting the middle hard. We got no "sorry pitch" or anything. Then they got mouthy on top of that. I guess our team plays too nice to hit middle back on them. Give me some suggestions on making a team to stop hitting middle. If they keep it up, they will hurt a pitcher badly as hard as they hit.

Why should they apologize for getting a base hit? Do you apologize when you get a base hit?

Middle is part of the field, if your pitcher doesn't like it, he needs to change positions. You can slow it down by gloving it, and getting them out. If it was a close game, and they wanted to win, of course they are going to hit the most open spot on the field, it would be dumb not to.

I hit middle, and don't say anything. I don't get upset when people hit middle on me, I either glove it or I don't. I started pitching before composites were out, and still pitch. Yes, I have been hit before, back when OG Ultra's were legal, and yes, it hurt like a mofo. I didn't ***** about it, just got the ball back, and kept on pitching. It is part of the game, if you are going to cry about it, then quit playing

westtexas

"Godfather"
Im 53 and I pitch in both Senior softball where we swing the hottest sticks in the world and USSSA C. I wear a mask cause I had my jaw shattered in 2006. I have pitched longer than most of you guys have been alive.
Its sad to say but a lot of times the E players and your own teammates are the problem.
Nothing pisses an upper player off more than when the lower guys start talking crap. An upper player will end it quickly and its usually the pitcher who pays.

I never expect anyone to say sorry if the hit a ball through the middle. I field it, dodge it or get drilled. I know when it was my fault and when it was on purpose. I also never take it out on the other pitcher.

Nothing pisses off the guy who hits middle with intent more than never seeing another pitch to hit. I dont intentionally walk him, I just pitch him crap and force him to be so frustrated he either walks or hits my pitches.

Middle is part of the game....

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Short of getting the teams onboard to buy a $200 pitching fence, westtexas has the best advice I've seen yet, pitch everything inside and/or just walk the guys who hit middle. Unfortunately there are a lot of dillweeds out there who do not understand that E and D league recreational softball is supposed to be fun.

I play in a coed rec C-D league where most of the teams have 50% or more tourney players and the best thing the league ever did was invest in a pitching fence. It added all of $5 to the team league fees and makes the game 100 times more enjoyable as both a hitter and a pitcher. As a hitter nobody worries about potentially taking out a pitcher and it really opens up the field. It takes the more dangerous middle shots (ground to 6 1/2 feet high) out of the equation but still allows the pitcher to field a high percentage of balls that come his way.

OtejunK

Art Work Junky
Sorry, I'm a pitcher and if someone hits middle, on purpose or not, I dont expect an apologize, its part of the field ......if you see someone hit a bullet at the 3rd baseman playing even, you never hear an appology -

I understand the pitcher is close, but you can back up 2 or 3 steps, get set, play off 2nd base side and as stated many times, if you snap a couple up, they stop....

Jus saying, I don't expect an apology as a pitcher.... and sorry, but if they hit to hard, drop a league or two...

I was thinking of this question at work today. So I have a company picnic coming up. We are playing softball, one gal in marketing and I are the only ones that play competitively. Guy who is the same level as my boss and a total D bag is going to pitch. Dare I continue to go middle on him? He has 2 left feet.

rejones28

Phat Daddy!
Catchable. Spell check says no, but I disagree.

I'd assume I'd catch that ball more often than not, but I also put my glove up and am ready instead of having it down around my thigh thinking I can get it up in time. It's hard to really judge the speed of that shot from that angle, but he doesn't look like a beginner at all.

It makes me a little nervous because he appears to turn his head. I don't like that. I wish there was a slow mo of it.

I know the guy and he is one hell of a pitcher and can field his spot. This ball was a laser and I don't think anybody on this board is good enough to catch it. He was wearing a catchers helmet.

Begs

Addicted to Softballfans
No disrespect but can your 'E' team put the ball wherever you want??? If you play C most of the time you can. If you were on the verge of beating them and you are playing a 4 man...you better believe they are shooting middle. I would do the same thing, league or not.

If they are line drive shots they are trying to hit a gap. If they are one hopping or hitting your pitchers legs its intentional.

My advice, play a 5 man.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Middle is part of the game, if your pitcher is that good at fielding middle then it will usually stop. Unless its a team of complete *******s who just wanna hurt someone when the middle shots become outs they stop hitting there. Play a 5 man and the balls that get past the pitcher turn into outs and they start working on something else. We played a team in worlds that was named Return to Sender with a postal logo on their shirt. Pretty obvious what they like to do, they hit middle a number of times in the first 3 innings which almost all turned into out, including a double play ball. After about the 3rd inning there were no more middle shots.

I know most people are joking when they say start a middle war but it does amaze me how many people think going back at their pitcher will fix the problem. Nothing escalates a middle war faster than going back at their pitcher. Especially if you are an E team playing a C team and you are afraid of getting your pitcher hurt, don't be stupid and show up to a shooting contest with someone better than you.

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
Have your pitcher catch the ball and get them out.

That actually made me lol here at work, but it's true. Either catch the ball, play 5 man, or be better at hitting middle than they are. The point of hitting middle isn't to hit the pitcher it's to get hits between the ss or 2b and p

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im 53 and I pitch in both Senior softball where we swing the hottest sticks in the world and USSSA C. I wear a mask cause I had my jaw shattered in 2006. I have pitched longer than most of you guys have been alive.
Its sad to say but a lot of times the E players and your own teammates are the problem.
Nothing pisses an upper player off more than when the lower guys start talking crap. An upper player will end it quickly and its usually the pitcher who pays.

I never expect anyone to say sorry if the hit a ball through the middle. I field it, dodge it or get drilled. I know when it was my fault and when it was on purpose. I also never take it out on the other pitcher.

Nothing pisses off the guy who hits middle with intent more than never seeing another pitch to hit. I dont intentionally walk him, I just pitch him crap and force him to be so frustrated he either walks or hits my pitches.

Middle is part of the game....
Amen.
Short of getting the teams onboard to buy a $200 pitching fence, westtexas has the best advice I've seen yet, pitch everything inside and/or just walk the guys who hit middle. Unfortunately there are a lot of dillweeds out there who do not understand that E and D league recreational softball is supposed to be fun.

I play in a coed rec C-D league where most of the teams have 50% or more tourney players and the best thing the league ever did was invest in a pitching fence. It added all of $5 to the team league fees and makes the game 100 times more enjoyable as both a hitter and a pitcher. As a hitter nobody worries about potentially taking out a pitcher and it really opens up the field. It takes the more dangerous middle shots (ground to 6 1/2 feet high) out of the equation but still allows the pitcher to field a high percentage of balls that come his way.
I couldn't disagree more. As a hitter I know a lot of people that would agree with you, and I'm ambivalent, but as a pitcher I hate it. I'll take my lumps, but way more people hit middle now that wouldn't if I didn't have to try and field around a stupid screen, and if their pitcher had the same concerns. I like it for coed as we have women pitchers, but for men's leagues I'd rather hit a 52 with no screen that what we have now. 44/375s with any non-senior bat.
That actually made me lol here at work, but it's true. Either catch the ball, play 5 man, or be better at hitting middle than they are. The point of hitting middle isn't to hit the pitcher it's to get hits between the ss or 2b and p
Amen part II. I hit middle with intent all the time. The intent to get a hit. With my speed, that means never hitting it near anyone. :D

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
There sure are a lot of pansies on this board.

And I'm not saying sorry for that ^^^.....much like I wouldn't say sorry for hitting a ball 2 feet to the side of your pitcher for a hit.

You lost to a better team, get over it. Christ, one statement you're bragging you beat a team 2 divisions higher than you, the next you're whining they beat you.

lilhoff

Coach
I pitch and understand middle is part of the field. I have a quick glove, slow feet though, but can generally get to anything in my circle. That being said the only time I get angry is when the team cheers that they were able to hit middle or if they broadcast their desire to hurt me prior to a game. Nothing like being classless in a recreational sport.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

For league I understand the idea of having a pitching screen, the issue is for the majority of games it doesn't make the game any safer. You said the screen gives the pitcher the ability to jump out and make plays but if the pitcher isn't behind the screen than how does it make anything safer? The only time I've ever seen a screen used the pitcher would pitch just jump outside of the screen and get set to field knowing anything to the middle would hit the screen and be an out. This just adds another fielder, it doesn't make anything safer.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
I just dont care. If I dont field it, welp, my bad and congrats on getting on. I gave up caring. If you cant handle it dont pitch. Learn to mash and play catcher if you're a weiner.

Sburgy4

Addicted to Softballfans
Why would they apologize about getting on base lol. Do you apologize to SS/3b when you hit the 5-6 hole?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snapping middle shots off are some of the easiest plays someone can make

Is that why teams put their worst player at pitcher?

Why did you close your tournament thread. I wasn't attacking you, or even saying that is the case this time. If you're getting benched it isn't BS. It's either because other players are better than you, the coach likes them better, or your attitude sucks.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
Is that why teams put their worst player at pitcher?

Why did you close your tournament thread. I wasn't attacking you, or even saying that is the case this time. If you're getting benched it isn't BS. It's either because other players are better than you, the coach likes them better, or your attitude sucks.

LOL, I closed it because I found my answer. I wasn't mad about being benched, that was just part of it. Hell, I did get to help my team win a ring because one of the guys was "feeling tight" and I got to come in like the top of the 7th and I hit a 2 run shot and we ended up winning by 2. That was in the "if" game. My gripe was that old, slow, fat, brand new etc. guys were playing over me

SoCalChappy619

Addicted to Softballfans
Part of the game? Yes of course. What I take offense to is the fact c class players are blowing middle in leauge against E players. There's no doubt it's part of the game... But have some class and don't box up e/rec/fun class players in league.

If you find anywhere in the country that has a league just for C rated and higher players. Please let me know about it. Everyone always complains if a higher rated player hits a shot at a third baseman or the pitcher. You get honest good players that swing clean with bat control and choose to hit the ball where they want and you have e/rec fun teams with no bat control swinging out of they're shoes with a shaved bat. Just because it's an accident and someone says sorry pitch doesn't make a bit of difference. I think the real issue is lower level players with decent power and less control swinging glass and not knowing where it's going. I'm not saying lower level players are the only ones swinging glass because I see it at every level that I play. But bottom line is hitting the ball in play is part of the game no matter where the ball goes. Play a 5 man and get over it. Hitting middle isn't cheating and like it was said earlier hitting middle doesn't win games. It usually equates to more outs and double plays if your pitcher can field middle well.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
For league I understand the idea of having a pitching screen, the issue is for the majority of games it doesn't make the game any safer. You said the screen gives the pitcher the ability to jump out and make plays but if the pitcher isn't behind the screen than how does it make anything safer? The only time I've ever seen a screen used the pitcher would pitch just jump outside of the screen and get set to field knowing anything to the middle would hit the screen and be an out. This just adds another fielder, it doesn't make anything safer.

you are correct, a pitching screens can only make it safer if the pitcher uses it. What I like about the screen is it puts the fault of injury 100% back on the pitcher (not the hitter). If a pitcher decides to not use the net and gets drilled its 100% their fault.

I understand and even agree with most arguments against using a pitching fence on competitive leagues and tournaments, however, in rec leagues (D, E, coed) I would argue the fence makes a significant difference in improving safety and reducing the amount of middle war BS talking between teams.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
you are correct, a pitching screens can only make it safer if the pitcher uses it. What I like about the screen is it puts the fault of injury 100% back on the pitcher (not the hitter). If a pitcher decides to not use the net and gets drilled its 100% their fault.

I understand and even agree with most arguments against using a pitching fence on competitive leagues and tournaments, however, in rec leagues (D, E, coed) I would argue the fence makes a significant difference in improving safety and reducing the amount of middle war BS talking between teams.

Let's make it 100% safe for all fielders then and just draw circles on the field where the fielders would be, and we'll just count everything not hit in the circles as a hit?

Fishstick5

Addicted to Softballfans

What in the word is a "pitching fence"? Is that different from a screen?