Hitting Middle

Lynn

Addicted to Softballfans
We are an E class team with a couple D players. We played a C class team the other night in a recreational league. We beat this team earlier in the season & was on the verge of beating them again when they started hitting the middle hard. We got no "sorry pitch" or anything. Then they got mouthy on top of that. I guess our team plays too nice to hit middle back on them. Give me some suggestions on making a team to stop hitting middle. If they keep it up, they will hurt a pitcher badly as hard as they hit.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Have your pitcher catch the ball and get them out.

It may sound messed up but its true. Hitting middle is part of the game, my brother pitches and got hit twice yesterday! I did ask him if it was intentional or was it just outside pitches being pulled hard. If it was intentional, we were gonna go middle, but he said it wasn't intentional. He did get glove on them though.

If your pitcher can snap off a few, i doubt they'll keep going...and if they do, either suck it up, or blow middle too...some guys are ****s like that, but its not breaking the rules...

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
Hitting middle doesn't equate to wins. Your pitcher being unable to field hurts. Middle is part of the game. Being nice has nothing to do with it. If they are getting on base via middle shots then why not keep it going? Shore up the D.

Damo

<font color=#cc3333"> MADE IN CANADA!</font>
Why apologize? It's a position when you start playing higher level ball it will always happen and there's not much to do to stop it all you can do is defend it 5MAN!!!!!

Lynn

Addicted to Softballfans
Well we can hold our own with them & any other team in our league. Our pitcher fields the middle well. If he can get glove on it, he catches it. I guess what bothered me the most was just the way they went about it. They try to police the league from hitting middle against them & cry & fight when someone does it against them. But then they turn around & hit middle themselves.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Part of the game? Yes of course. What I take offense to is the fact c class players are blowing middle in leauge against E players. There's no doubt it's part of the game... But have some class and don't box up e/rec/fun class players in league.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Part of the game? Yes of course. What I take offense to is the fact c class players are blowing middle in leauge against E players. There's no doubt it's part of the game... But have some class and don't box up e/rec/fun class players in league.

Very good points here!

texas-46

Addicted to Softballfans
Lace up, Strap up and pitch and take a step back! Always put your glove up and always be ready for the ball to come back after every pitch..

Carbone13

<font color="#4F4F4F">SBF Fund Donor</font>
Hit at their pitcher or catch the ball. These are your realistic options without a box rule being enforced.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not trying to sound like softball douche but I only say sorry if I hit the pitcher.
Hit the ball hard win the game and move on

Well we can hold our own with them & any other team in our league. Our pitcher fields the middle well. If he can get glove on it, he catches it. I guess what bothered me the most was just the way they went about it. They try to police the league from hitting middle against them & cry & fight when someone does it against them. But then they turn around & hit middle themselves.

We have a team in our league that pulls this crap. My mens team has to move up to their division next season and I am not looking forward to pitching against them but I have a few guys on my team that will protect me.

blakcherry329

Nothing will stop a middle war. It's part of the game. Even if you have a great fielding pitcher, he will only snap off a small percentage of the hits, if they are hit on the sweet spot. Even if a middle war starts, not everyone will hit middle. Just ride it out and score. Playing 5-man cuts out a lot of it, but it can't be stopped.

Pitchers that whine about hitting middle shouldn't be pitching. It's part of the game. If you are worried about getting hurt, get some shin guards, mask and whatever else you think you need to be safe, or don't pitch. just my .02

eyerolleddapiec

Loves Balls
Am i the only one who is reluctant to believe a legit E team was on the verge of beating a legit C team for the second time in one league?

blakcherry329

Correct

Wrong

5 man is not played to protect the pitcher. If your Middle Infielder is behind the pitcher he is out of place. After the pitch, the middle infielder and pitcher should be on opposite sides of 2nd base.

It doesn't, technically, protect the pitcher, but it will cut down on middle shots just because...

The angry goat

The Rookie
I gotta agree, Hitting middle is part of the game. The perfect defense to this is 5 man IF or your pitcher better be ready...... If you can't hit middle why not close off smoking the ball to the 3rd basemen?? he or she is pretty close too?

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Gabe has no time to read signs.
Asking him to read is like asking him to not hit a solo.
I'd blast your sign and next at bat blast you
Do it and we're over.
5 man is not played to protect the pitcher. If your Middle Infielder is behind the pitcher he is out of place. After the pitch, the middle infielder and pitcher should be on opposite sides of 2nd base.

An infielder to pick up anything that misses or gets by the pitcher is a bad idea how?