Hitting Middle

PHX5054

Addicted to Softballfans
Not sure which pitcher it was, but if it's the younger guy on Baughford we faced him at conference championship, he was a stud (they were bumped to A half way through the year). It's a lot easier to say you'll get a glove on that ball then actually going out there and doing it lol.

Yep dude is a stud and also took one off the mask in the Houston?? Major. So yeah could have been bad if he wasn't wearing a mask.

Jimmy34

Board Prick
I pitch and never say a word if a ball comes up the middle and never apologize if I do it...WHY??? There's 10 people on the field, each one is a fielder...end of story...I can tell if I'm gonna get lit up usually because I can see the ball floating away from the inside of the plate and get the heck ouuta the way, back up and get ready for it...when guys do it intentionally good pitchers know...STILL, it's a position on the field, field it or do your best Matrix...

I do understand though when it's upper tourney guys, or even guys who are good, "shoot" middle against pitchers who are just there to play a few innings and enjoy hanging with the guys...that's just immature and toolish...league should be a little less serious...I know it's all some guys play but sometimes use your head (not literally)

franknwhit

Game on!
I've pitched for 30+ years and still pitch today, use to pitch in ASA C's and Utripp D's in the late 80's and through the 90's. Teams would shoot the middle to see if a pitcher has a glove. It was not uncommon then and it still is not today. If you think the balls come back quicker than they did then, I think there is not much difference. As a pitcher you are a fielder with a glove playing a position on the field. You better have your head on straight when you step out there at any level, a friend of mine was playing in a wood bat tourney and took one right in the face. He is ok but had 16 stiches. The team he plays for knows he drinks and not a little and they let him out there. Like I said if you pitch have your **** together when you out there. You are at risk on every pitch. Over the years I have taken more body shots, even one to the head, its was deflected of my glove but it still hurt. The whole crap about hitting the middle is crap, its a part of the game be ready and play your position. When someone says sorry pitch that pisses me of more, get up there and hit if you have to hit middle so be it. I've notice the higher the talent level most hitters take the out side pitch that way. Guys its slow pitch softball have respect for ever who you play against and be a sport about it. It's a recreational sport 99% of us play for the game not the money.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've pitched for 30+ years and still pitch today, use to pitch in ASA C's and Utripp D's in the late 80's and through the 90's. Teams would shoot the middle to see if a pitcher has a glove. It was not uncommon then and it still is not today. If you think the balls come back quicker than they did then, I think there is not much difference. As a pitcher you are a fielder with a glove playing a position on the field. You better have your head on straight when you step out there at any level, a friend of mine was playing in a wood bat tourney and took one right in the face. He is ok but had 16 stiches. The team he plays for knows he drinks and not a little and they let him out there. Like I said if you pitch have your **** together when you out there. You are at risk on every pitch. Over the years I have taken more body shots, even one to the head, its was deflected of my glove but it still hurt. The whole crap about hitting the middle is crap, its a part of the game be ready and play your position. When someone says sorry pitch that pisses me of more, get up there and hit if you have to hit middle so be it. I've notice the higher the talent level most hitters take the out side pitch that way. Guys its slow pitch softball have respect for ever who you play against and be a sport about it. It's a recreational sport 99% of us play for the game not the money.

Some people have to take the outside pitch up the middle, and that's fine. The situation just cracks me up. The guys that can't hit the outside pitch backside for power are the same guys that talk about how good of a hitter they are. The guys that say you can't curve a slowpitch always say, "sorry, but that ball fooled me and I couldn't go anywhere else with it last second". The guy that hits middle all the time doesn't bother me, but I can't not laugh at the guys with the excuses and apologies.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
I've noticed a lot more bitching about "middle" when teams are down and balls aren't really even being hit back at the pitcher or all that hard, it's kind of an easy strawman argument to start because someone's salty about a buttkicking. In the middle of a competitive game between two good teams, nobody tends to say a word.

Didn't know this forum still existed. Pretty cool.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also like when you play a team, and they ***** every time you hit a ball between second and short no matter where it is or was pitched. Chirp and cry the whole game, and then when they come up in the bottom of the 7th down a few they all hit middle. Like I'm not going to remember them the next time I play them. :D

blakcherry329

Are you telling me if someone drills a ball back at your face and you have 1/3 of a second to react, that you're natural reaction wouldn't be to turn away whether you have a helmet on or not??

Uh, yeah. I didn't turn my head on line drives, before I wore a helmet. So I don't turn my head now. Grounders were a different story. Bad hops are the reason I wear a helmet now, not line drives. I came from 3b/1b to pitcher so I was used to lasers coming at me.

My point is the most protection you have is in the front of your helmet. Why turn your head? Close your eyes, if you must, but keep your head still. :biggthumpup:

I shoot middle non-stop cause that's what the game is about. I hit hard and don't feel bad about it. I also pitch and don't care if dudes hit middle. Protection? You mean other than my glove? Sure, I'll wear a lambskin condom just in case...

AldapeCJ

Addicted to Softballfans
I shoot middle non-stop cause that's what the game is about. I hit hard and don't feel bad about it. I also pitch and don't care if dudes hit middle. Protection? You mean other than my glove? Sure, I'll wear a lambskin condom just in case...

HAHA...you are a damn fool buddy

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
When someone goes middle on me I stare them down and rub my beard. I throw the ball to second or first and it never happens again.

trox

Star Player
All I do is pull the ball so if I hit middle everyone knows it's by accident haha. I have only tried to once and I'm not good enough to place it at them,,, wish I had a place to practice in the winter time for off field and middle hits

ogsoftballplaye

dont pitch outside and field the position, i don't like it when players apologize. Pitchers wear gloves too. part of the game

I love it when ppl say don't pitch outside. I can hit an inside pitch up the middle. I stand so far off the plate that everything is pretty much outside. Even if its in the batters box with me lol.

Part of the game? Yes of course. What I take offense to is the fact c class players are blowing middle in leauge against E players. There's no doubt it's part of the game... But have some class and don't box up e/rec/fun class players in league.

"Box up"? Lol, :rolleyes: your a tool

Rocketfire24

Addicted to Softballfans
I also like when you play a team, and they ***** every time you hit a ball between second and short no matter where it is or was pitched. Chirp and cry the whole game, and then when they come up in the bottom of the 7th down a few they all hit middle. Like I'm not going to remember them the next time I play them. :D

Absolutely happens! Playing two good tourney teams in our Fall playoffs this week and both teams were considerably better then us and both got absolutely bent out of shape because of some grounders hits "near" the pitcher.

Our team is full of old one-night-a-week guys actually won both games! We played well and they didn't, but they got all bent out of shape from a couple grounders up the middle and it got them rattled. I made plays at P or they hit the "middles open" shots at our 2nd basemen...it totally ruined them.

lilwil

Addicted to Softballfans
my 2 cents

The short answer to your question is there is not a lot you can do about it if the umpires arent taking precautions. Best thing to do is get your pitcher some gear. Nobody should be on the mound in today's game without some. That's just my two cents

As far as a C team hitting middle on a E team ill make a lot of people mad on this one but that's straight garbage. Played a B team this weekend that was in an open tournament with a bunch of E teams including ours. Never saw them cut middle even though they spotted each team 9 runs. Even when games were tight at the end. Good teams don't have to hit at a pitcher to win. And most the tough guys who are so hardcore they hit the ball directly at the guy with the least time to react are swinging bats hollowed out to drive the ball over 350ft. Not only that but how many of them actually pitch? Not many so they don't even have to field balls the other team may hit back up the middle in retaliation. WOW . The game has really gone down in that regard since I first began playing. All you hear now from guys is....its part of the game....lets be clear the middle of the field is part of the game for real ball players. NOT hitting the ball AT the pitcher two totally different things. I know ill get bashed by the HE-MEN on here who take great pride in hitting pitchers but so what. To them I say man up and get a real base hit. Thats it......that's all..like nike says....just do it.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
I'm sure this had been said already.

Hitting middle does not mean hitting at the pitcher.

And E level tourney teams hit middle more than anyone else.