Lending Bats...

Softball.com:

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Always been of the mindset "what's mine is yours." (Except my wife). Only lent out my bats to close friends and whatnot. Well, no longer. Lent a bat to a co worker. When he brought it back, he said, "This one broke. Do you have another one we can borrow? We still have 2 weeks left in the season." Awesomeness.

Glitch

Starting Player
Only loaned bats out a few times and each time am VERY CLEAR that if it is broken or damaged in any way they have to cover at least 75% (depending on age) of the cost to get it replaced. Depending on the friend, I may not strictly enforce it, but it does put the thought in the back of their mind to be extra careful.

mattya420

Manager
I will lend to buddies.....when I hand them the bat I look them straight in the eyes and say to them "you break it you buy it....the replacement cost is $xxx"
I make sure they hear me and nod or verbally agree. Gotta set the rules....then if the bat breaks there's no grey area in who's paying to replace it.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
IMO the bat would have broke whether he hit with or you did. When it is ready to break it doesn't care who is swinging it.

What does tick me off is when you lend someone a bat (which I only did once) and they bring it back all chipped and 1 small gash.

I always swung PST's and let very few select players swing them.

second2noone

I don't lend out bats unless i know it's a real tank and don't care much for the bat

I only let people borrow bats when i'm playing too.

Yeah, if i agree to let them swing it, then i wouldn't ask them to pay if they break it.

ATL Rookie

Manager
I will lend out my bats to a select group of guys. These are close enough friends that I dont even need to mention how the bat should be treated or consequences of breaking it.

Had friends break 2 bats, 1 returnable. The returnable bat the guy gave it back with a $20 to pay for a return. Didnt even know it was broke til I saw him at the field. The NR that another guy broke just said to let him know how much to repalce and he would throw in half.

batboy_2006

Addicted to Softballfans
If I put in on the fence while I'm playing, more than happy to let anyone swing it. Borrowed my Salvo to a teammate and it came back all scratched and chipped up and the grip was all ripped. Looked like a dog chewed the crap out of it. Since then I only lend out stuff to guys I know will take care of my stuff and they are fully aware if it breaks in their possession it's gonna be them who pays to replace it. If its under warranty then its no worries. If its non returnable, they are fully aware its on them to replace or cover the majority of the replacement cost.

Luckily I not a masher and have limited power so I've only had 3 broken bats in the past 10 years. I cracked an AV, had a buddy borrow and break my OG Flex (not under warranty and he never paid me for it :mad:) and another teammate broke my SCX22 (thankfully under warranty) but at least I was playing when it happened.

hacker72

Addicted to Softballfans
I only loan my stuff to close friends and I only loan to them what I am willing to lose.... i.e meaning with the possibility of it coming back broken.

-Six-

Weiner
thats not even a crack, just a scratch. stop being a *****. bet your finger nails doesnt even catch

MaMaLuLu

Addicted to Softballfans
Early this season i had just received a new psycho. Take it to a game, guy asks to swing it I say sure no problem. first thing he does, freakin taps his cleats with it. Needless to say it instantly went into the bag after

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Did he at least offer to pay for it?

Someone at work mentioned to him that it wasn't cool to not offer to throw a few bucks my way. He asked what was fair. I honestly don't know. It probably had 5K hits on it.

Only loaned bats out a few times and each time am VERY CLEAR that if it is broken or damaged in any way they have to cover at least 75% (depending on age) of the cost to get it replaced. Depending on the friend, I may not strictly enforce it, but it does put the thought in the back of their mind to be extra careful.

This isn't a horrible idea.

Dafuq you doing lending out an OG Ext for?

Cause it's a tank and I thought it could handle it.

I only loan my stuff to close friends and I only loan to them what I am willing to lose.... i.e meaning with the possibility of it coming back broken.

Yeah. This is where I'm at with it.

thats not even a crack, just a scratch. stop being a *****. bet your finger nails doesnt even catch

I'll just wrap the ***** in duct tape and go to work.

THESHOE

Starting Player
The simple rule is are you on my team during this game I am playing?

If not, then no you can't use it.

I have lent to my GF's girls team though. But I semi coach that and let a teammate of our coed team swing it.

Now here's a twist. People who come and take these bats and use them without asking anyone. From the other team! Shared entrance to field, so they feel like any bat on the fence is G2G.

dflint72

Addicted to Softballfans
Ha get him another bat Jerk he has 2 more weeks of league. I only swung it like 6 times probably did her in
I apologize and will bring u a coke tomorrow.

Glitch

Starting Player
Let a player on my church team barrow my worth mutant 07 model guy struck out and then threw the bat 20ft into the air it landed right on the handle and telescoped it was my gamer dude started laughing and said get your bat didn't offer to pay for it, I said dude you broke it you got to buy me another he laughed and said you never told me I'm responsible if I break it, I said really. The next freaking game I'm on second and his son grabs my srv5 out of my bag I didn't even notice til he popped out to the pitcher and threw my bat into the fence that it took a big chunk out of the bat . First rule someone needs a bat hand them an old alloy

Sounds like that dude needs his ass beat and you need a better team captain.

That **** wouldn't fly around here, he'd be off the team in a heartbeat.

sjury

The Old Man
If you lend your stuff out, then you are responsible for it getting broken. With today's bats there's a good chance the next swing on it will start a crack. If you allow someone to swing your sticks, it's your fault. Never lend a bat, unless you think it's ok to come back scratched, chipped, dented, cracked, etc.

The only time my bats get swung is if that person is on my team, and I'm in the dugout.

THESHOE

Starting Player
I think you need a new team... And seriously, in a church league?

Thou Shalt Not Be An Angry Slowpitch Rec Player!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Let a player on my church team barrow my worth mutant 07 model guy struck out and then threw the bat 20ft into the air it landed right on the handle and telescoped it was my gamer dude started laughing and said get your bat didn't offer to pay for it, I said dude you broke it you got to buy me another he laughed and said you never told me I'm responsible if I break it, I said really. The next freaking game I'm on second and his son grabs my srv5 out of my bag I didn't even notice til he popped out to the pitcher and threw my bat into the fence that it took a big chunk out of the bat . First rule someone needs a bat hand them an old alloy

lx_2nv

Coach

Thats UFB...I'd beat his ass

batboy_2006

Addicted to Softballfans

I don't mind my stuff coming back scratched up from ground wear. That's gonna happen no matter who swings it. That's part of everyday wear and tear, but someone throwing someone else's bat into the fence/dugout or into the air or hard to the ground because they are upset they ground out or popped up... that's just ignorant and uncalled for. IF you want to do that, go buy your own stuff.

M

MJL 00

Noone usually touches my sticks. I paid for them therefore I hit them, simple. You got a job go buy your own...

Last edited by a moderator: