Pitchers... Fielding the middle

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
So do you guys field from the mound or back pedal and set up behind it? Looking for some tips this will be my first year pitching. Havent seen many guys back pedal and set up like a 5 man... Maybe I'm wrong but don't think it would be to hard to do.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
I'd imagine with ss and 2 filling in the holes a little it would help a ton, definitely something I want to work on.

Our pitching height is 6 to 10 or 12 so should be plenty of time to get back and ready I would think.

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
We typically run a 5 man, so if I'm pitching I usually drift back and to the weak side depending on the batter.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
It depends a little on how u pitch
If you are like me & take a step toward home plate when releasing the ball its a lot harder to back peddle 6-7 steps then get set. That & there a number of fields we play on that have an actual mound so back peddling is out. I usually just take a step or two back then get set. It's also a lot harder to get out of the way of a line drive at your ankles when you are back peddling. If you pitch from a stationary position it is a bit easier to get back but you definitely do not want to be back peddling when the ball is hit.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
I can pitch without taking a step so thats a plus, This will be some work to get use to.

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
I always worry about one catching the rubber. I just pitch and get set, maybe sidestep in the direction I think it'll go, but never backwards.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
CLICK THE LINK IN MY SIGNATURE...

As to your specific question - You need to be set with your full concentration on the ball at the time it is hit - DO NOT STEP BACK farther than you can become fully set and concentrating on the ball - Otherwise, you'll be off balance or looking at your feet or whatever and this increases your chance of being hit...

Remember, when the ball is hit at your face, your brain does not pick up that movement right away - the ball simply looks like it's getting bigger, but not moving, since it's coming straight at your eyes - Then the brain says - OH CRAP! - That's heading straight at me....

It's important to be fully concentrating on the ball at the time it is hit in order to give yourself maximum reaction time...

%%%

THESHOE

Starting Player
Pretty much my style.

But I am a chubby big dude.

So I am not exactly able to back pedal quickly and be ready enough to make plays. More likely to be set and ready if I pitch and focus.

If I played higher level, I probably would be a little more worried and back pedal.

I do wear a helmet with face guard, so perhaps this is why I am a little more confident to pitch and set and get the glove up and ready.

Pitch it... take one giant step backwards and set up like a hockey goalie

So do you guys field from the mound or back pedal and set up behind it? Looking for some tips this will be my first year pitching. Havent seen many guys back pedal and set up like a 5 man... Maybe I'm wrong but don't think it would be to hard to do.

If you try to back pedal too far, you will find yourself never actually getting set. If you don't get set, you will struggle to field anything not directly at your chest or head.

Getting set is equal to 3 steps in distance or so. So one or two steps plus getting set is way more beneficial than 5 steps and still back pedaling.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can pitch without taking a step so thats a plus, This will be some work to get use to.

Every step you can take back is just that much more reaction time, but you have to not be moving to be able to read the ball. If you can pitch without striding toward the plate, work on pitching it even as a fadeaway a little bit. Even then I normally only take 2-3 steps before setting up. Always step to one side or the other of the rubber.

denthepitcher

SF Native
Like others have said, step back as far as you can and still be completely set before the ball is hit. Otherwise your eyes will be bouncing and it'll be difficult to pick up the ball. 3 steps back is worth about another 1/10th of a second. 1/10th is the difference between getting your glove from below your waist to your chest to your head.
I recommend pitching with your glove basically across your chest when you release the ball. Protect your head and your heart first, anything you can get a glove on after that is a bonus.

As frustrating as it may be sometimes, don't get angry when your defense fails you. It's going to happen.

There's nothing to be gained as a pitcher talking ish, all that'll happen is more and more middle shots. Sooner or later you'll lose.

Good luck and remember EVERY SINGLE PITCH YOU THROW IS COMING RIGHT BACK AT YOU. Keep that mindset at all times when you pitch and you'll be alright.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
A bunch of good stuff in here and that link is awesome, Thanks guys.

I got a helmet and getting a cup and chest protection just to be safe... We lost our pitcher over the winter and I didnt want to bring anyone else on so I decided to move from second and give it a go.

I know backing up and covering will be a pain to get down aswell but wanted to go in with some kind of a plan for delivery and setup first.

Last edited:

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Wow dude you would not like hitting against me......

CLICK THE LINK IN MY SIGNATURE...

As to your specific question - You need to be set with your full concentration on the ball at the time it is hit - DO NOT STEP BACK farther than you can become fully set and concentrating on the ball - Otherwise, you'll be off balance or looking at your feet or whatever and this increases your chance of being hit...

Remember, when the ball is hit at your face, your brain does not pick up that movement right away - the ball simply looks like it's getting bigger, but not moving, since it's coming straight at your eyes - Then the brain says - OH CRAP! - That's heading straight at me....

It's important to be fully concentrating on the ball at the time it is hit in order to give yourself maximum reaction time...

%%%

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, you probably don't know the answer . . .
_...__..._
(@)-(@) - For Pitcher Self-Protection, see this Thread: Safety Practices When Pitching
\ .. ^ .. /

Self-control leads to Bat Control -- Practice, Practice, Practice...
SUCCESS only comes when you refuse to be satisfied with failure!

Cool_E

Star Player
I find that your reflexes and confidence are hugely important. If you're slow then don't pitch. Another big part of fielding the position is pitch selection for batters. If you see someone trying to go backside, jam em in or throw a screwball. If they sit pull throw high in then a low short outside pitch... You will more than likely get one your way, but that's the idea, that or a foul out. If they still pull it, odds are single at best. The most important part of fielding is having an idea of where the ball will be going. I can't stand pitchers who get pissy when they throw a curve and take one up the middle or close to them. It's part of the game especially if you are pitching to that part of the plate. I usually try to take a few quick steps back, I have been lazy a few times and not been completely set, that's when you have an easy grounder roll right by you because your feet can't make the play. Gotta be set and ready.

T.Heck

Your favorite Cubs fan
Well after pitching in the tunnel today I dont think this will work out lol.... Just not comfortable.

Havent hit or anything in a few months but was quickly reminded why I never pitched before.

Cool_E

Star Player
I don't really like pitching in a tunnel, I feel comfortable on the diamond, but something about the narrow alley directing everything back at you is unnerving, even with a net you still get ricochets and I'm just not the biggest fan of it... I would say give it a try on the diamond, try going live action with fielding (simulated game style) and you will get a better feel for it.

Stretch19

Grow up
drifting any where is a huge mistake...its a good way to get your ass smoked

if you are going to back up, youve got to get set...youll never catch anything without getting set first

GNOLAUM

*insert dope custom title here
I never go straight back. You minimize your chances of taking a bad off the rubber. You unfortunately also place your self in the line of fire

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
if you are allowed distance behind the rubber, i.e. utrip, gsl, etc., just pitch and drop in the hole opposite of the 5 man. you get 6 feet back so just learn to throw it farther and you will have plenty of time to react.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
The leagues around here have the pitchers box (not the dead ball out halo) so I start 6 feet back from the get go.

I've pitched enough I usually don't need to step when I pitch so I back pedal a couple of steps and set up but if there is a runner on first base I'll take a couple more steps and cover two.

I usually don't defend as well when I cover two but I feel like we get a lot more outs from the middle infield because they can play deeper.

The biggest thing is don't let down on a pitch that is clearly going to be a ball because those are the ones where a dude changes his swing and lasers you lol.

I also where a mask regardless of what level I'm playing. People can make all the jokes/comments they want. We had a dude almost lose an eye and had several facial surgeries from a shot to the face after a bad bounce. Its just not worth the risk.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I never go straight back. You minimize your chances of taking a bad off the rubber. You unfortunately also place your self in the line of fire

The link in my sig (Safety Practices When Pitching) suggests that you always mound the dirt in front of the pitching rubber to prevent those hops - I've never had a ball fly up toward me from hitting the rubber...

It's a pain to fill in the other pitcher's divots, but since I pitch from 6 feet back, it's important to make sure the ball continues smoothly past that rubber...

The 6ft pitching box is the best safety change the associations instituted - That's an extra 10% reaction time compared to the 50ft rubber... I can't believe that ASA has not implemented that across all levels!!??!!

%%%

SandyWH

#Delicious
5-man = I'll typically take two quick steps back and get ready to defend.
4-man w/ a man on first = I'll typically back pedal and take off toward 3/4 hole tow give my second baseman a chance to cheat toward the middle a little

If playing in a competitive atmosphere (i.e. I'm just a target in a middle war) I'll toss and take off sprinting right/left/back to try and rattle the batter a little. I've been drilled several times this way, but I've gotten a lot of outs as guys try to adjust swings as I'm bailing out.

GNOLAUM

*insert dope custom title here
The link in my sig (Safety Practices When Pitching) suggests that you always mound the dirt in front of the pitching rubber to prevent those hops - I've never had a ball fly up toward me from hitting the rubber...

It's a pain to fill in the other pitcher's divots, but since I pitch from 6 feet back, it's important to make sure the ball continues smoothly past that rubber...

The 6ft pitching box is the best safety change the associations instituted - That's an extra 10% reaction time compared to the 50ft rubber... I can't believe that ASA has not implemented that across all levels!!??!!

%%%

The only time my dad got hit and hurt was from a bad hop of the rubber. Besides that a lot of fields I play on barely have any dirt to do that. Unfortunately